• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

O'Neil In, Out and Shaking it all about

It was pretty awful.

His first 19 league games yielded a return of W4 D14 L1. I mean that's both deeply eccentric and a very poor PPG return for a club of our status in the second tier, especially for a supposed elite coach who allegedly had a point to prove.

We then won 4 of the final 5 games (all dead rubbers to us) which hoodwinked enough people.

@Kenny loves that stat

But yeah, lost at Wigan in January then didn't lose in the league until late August at Leeds.

I am cool with it....I now only straight out murder people who mention it. Have moved on from kidnap, torture and then murder.

Baby steps...

On Saturday, when Doherty came on I'm pretty sure he had over double the amount of Wolves goals than everyone else on the pitch put together. Gave me great comfort in adversity.

You can only judge on that season, not what came after. In the end Hoddle showed he was a complete prick and rightly goes down as a reviled character but in his first season the football wasn’t anywhere near as bad as what followed.
Oh it was, it was just less bad than what came before. I've just looked, in half a season Hoddle oversaw ten 1 1 draws in 04/05. His first five games ended 1 1!

In 05/06 we had another ten 1 1 draws but over a whole season. Hoddle's whole tenure was sleep inducing.

Had me seriously considering whether to renew my ST in both of those summers. I was so relieved when he walked away.

Oh it was, it was just less bad than what came before. I've just looked, in half a season Hoddle oversaw ten 1 1 draws in 04/05. His first five games ended 1 1!

In 05/06 we had another ten 1 1 draws but over a whole season. Hoddle's whole tenure was sleep inducing.

Had me seriously considering whether to renew my ST in both of those summers. I was so relieved when he walked away.
I was ecstatic when he walked away too. My expectation was that with a preseason and some of his own signings we might turn some of the draws into wins. In fact he served up the dullest football I’d ever witnessed at Molineux. We regularly considered staying in the pub and always regretted not doing so after a few minutes.

As I say we won 4 of the last 5 in 04/05 and should have been all 5 but we conceded late at Highfield Road. It had taken a while but dead rubbers or not, it looked like he'd hit on something. Even had Leon looking like a footballer. Great stuff, stick with that then.

Or change it all completely for no reason and have your main goal threat in Miller stuck out wide.

I was ecstatic when he walked away too. My expectation was that with a preseason and some of his own signings we might turn some of the draws into wins. In fact he served up the dullest football I’d ever witnessed at Molineux. We regularly considered staying in the pub and always regretted not doing so after a few minutes.
I'd moved to Derby by then and despite having a season ticket didn't bother going to about half the games under Hoddle in 2006. I gave it up at the end of that season as it looked like he was staying

Just looked up that 2-2 draw at Cov. Check Glenn "man management" Hoddle's comments!

"It was a stupid mistake by Ki-Hyeon Seol which cost us.

"I praise him highly when he does well, but he's got to learn he can't play flicky-flicky football at that time in the game and in that position.

"We've given the ball away in a dangerous position and conceded a goal which should never have happened."

I wonder why people thought you were a prick, Glenn.

A team for the ages:

------------------Oakes-----------------

Bischoff-----Craddock---Lescott----Naylor

-----------------Ince-------------------

--------Cameron------Olofinjana---------

----------------Seol--------------------

----------Miller------Clarke-----------

A team for the ages:

------------------Oakes-----------------

Bischoff-----Craddock---Lescott----Naylor

-----------------Ince-------------------

--------Cameron------Olofinjana---------

----------------Seol--------------------

----------Miller------Clarke-----------

All of the width.

Just looked up that 2-2 draw at Cov. Check Glenn "man management" Hoddle's comments!

I wonder why people thought you were a prick, Glenn.
Ah, yes. Some fans would have appreciated this at the time though, much as they did when he lead the charge on Beckham after the Argie game.

I posted the highlights in the Cov build up thread, or something else recently, it was ridiculous

It's crap from Seol (a Podence/Nunes of a flick) but Bischoff and Craddock are way worse.

Genuinely dire from New Invention's Lee Naylor on the first as well though he does kind of score to make up for it (OG for me, sorry Lee).

First proper link with the England job if SouthGate goes to old Trafford. Just a list of names in the mirror

Back