• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

O'Neil In, Out and Shaking it all about

I just can't see a world where being number 2 (even at a massive club) is more attractive than the top job for a midtable club. Even if they were recruiting a manager close to retirement with a view to taking over in two years time or whatever, it's such a terrible career move

He said not long ago he isn't interested in a role elsewhere. Would expect he's looking to stay for now & develop himself.

I just can't see a world where being number 2 (even at a massive club) is more attractive than the top job for a midtable club. Even if they were recruiting a manager close to retirement with a view to taking over in two years time or whatever, it's such a terrible career move
Depends on the person. Plenty of reasons but a couple that stand out

1) Cash
2) Might not enjoy the stress of head coaching in the Prem.

If there is a genuine interest and he loves the stress his agent has a new angle when Hobbs starts the new contract talks in May.

He said not long ago he isn't interested in a role elsewhere. Would expect he's looking to stay for now & develop himself.
Precisely. You can bet feelers went out weeks ago about such a role and that's why he issued the statement about not being interested.

“It is a difficult one for me to answer, because I don’t want to talk too much about previous regimes, but I’ve never been one to just give up and quit,” the 40-year-old said. “That hasn’t entered my mind, ever, and it won’t. I want to be a part of what we’re trying to achieve.

“I cannot stand there in front of a group of players and say to them, ‘when things get tough we need to push harder’ and we need to keep going but then not stand by that myself.

“I’m not going to be at Wolverhampton Wanderers forever. I’m sure they’ll get rid of me at some point when they’ve had enough of me. But until that day, I am desperate to work my socks off and leave the club in a better place than when I arrived.”

In his post-match interviews after the draw at Turf Moor, O’Neil brought up how he and sporting director Matt Hobbs had warned the Wolves’ hierarchy about the risks of not adding to the squad in January. But on Friday he insisted his comments were designed to protect his players from possible flak and not intended as a criticism of the club.

“After a game, sometimes you say the same thing but the tone and the emotion makes it feel very different,” O’Neil added. “And it wasn’t. It was an explanation of the situation that the club finds itself in and why we are where we are at this moment.

“I’m the one that has to answer the questions and I’m the one that gets to come out and speak but it wasn’t a criticism.

“I feel the same as the fans. Getting into the quarter-final and being in and around the top and then suffering injuries that have made it very difficult is disappointing. I’m disappointed that the fans are disappointed and that’s all it was.

“I’ve said it enough already — I love it here. I’m happy here.”

From The Graun:

Among the 31,504 in attendance at Molineux there was a certain Steve Cooper. The former Nottingham Forest manager was in the directors’ box, enjoying the touchline tactical tinkerings. Gary O’Neil used the full-back Rayan Aït-Nouri as a No 10, and David Moyes made two half-time changes that turned the match in West Ham’s favour. Cooper did an excellent job at Forest and will be eager to return to work at the earliest opportunity if the right offer is made. O’Neil’s impressive season at Wolves has seen him linked to other jobs and if he moves on then Molineux may be a possible destination for Cooper.

200w.gif

Gary O'Neil's son (the actor) has signed forms with Palace

Gary O'Neil's son (the actor) has signed forms with Palace
They’ve seemingly bought him from Wimbledon! I have seen him play (for Wimbledon) very very small but technically good and clever for his age

My granddaughter tells me he goes to her school.
He may of course have more than one son, slso she may be confused as to who the Wolves manager is and it might be one of the other coaches kid.

From The Graun:

Among the 31,504 in attendance at Molineux there was a certain Steve Cooper. The former Nottingham Forest manager was in the directors’ box, enjoying the touchline tactical tinkerings. Gary O’Neil used the full-back Rayan Aït-Nouri as a No 10, and David Moyes made two half-time changes that turned the match in West Ham’s favour. Cooper did an excellent job at Forest and will be eager to return to work at the earliest opportunity if the right offer is made. O’Neil’s impressive season at Wolves has seen him linked to other jobs and if he moves on then Molineux may be a possible destination for Cooper.

200w.gif
Lee Johnson was in the box behind me for the Coventry game….

They’ve seemingly bought him from Wimbledon! I have seen him play (for Wimbledon) very very small but technically good and clever for his age
How tall do you want a 10 year old to be?? :ROFLMAO:

There’s no doubt he’s exceeded expectation, the summer will be massive in terms of what he has to work with next season
As he said, ‘I won’t be here forever’ but he won’t be going anywhere on his own accord.
He knows that a shit start to next season and a poor League position come bonfire night he’ll more than likely be in trouble.

It'll be a tough test for him next season, the tricky second album. There were low expectations especially after the first few weeks* He's well out performed that. Next season if he gets a bit of support with new signings, he'll be expected to at least match this season. A relegation battle and he'll be in trouble imo.

*I was looking for summat in this thread the other day and spent 5 minutes reading the early posts, wow, the amount of vitriol, including me.

Fuck him off. Some will say my curtness is disrespectful. It was disrespectful of Shi and Hobbs to put this charlatan in charge of our great club. Jeff and Gary, you can both do one.

Fuck off.
lol

Haha, I mentioned the other day I accidently clicked on the beginning of this thread, we look a bit silly now don't we.
There was nothing wrong with criticising him at the time, we were shit and he was clearly getting it wrong but the vitriol was more than a little ott.
Whether he can maintain the progress or even just equal it remains to be seen. If we do finish comfortably mid table next season playing similar football his stock will be very high.
Of course it could easily go the other way and we'll all be back to calling him a useless cunt😀

Back