• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

O'Neil In, Out and Shaking it all about

Haha, I mentioned the other day I accidently clicked on the beginning of this thread, we look a bit silly now don't we.
There was nothing wrong with criticising him at the time, we were shit and he was clearly getting it wrong but the vitriol was more than a little ott.
Whether he can maintain the progress or even just equal it remains to be seen. If we do finish comfortably mid table next season playing similar football his stock will be very high.
Of course it could easily go the other way and we'll all be back to calling him a useless cunt😀
It was a pretty poor start to be fair. I'm still not happy with how he evades criticism though.

Following a decent result you'll find him dissecting his tactics on TV. When we lose though, he'll blame anything and everything else.

Overall he's done well, but I'm not pleased how he's dealt with the adversity of injuries to his small squad...

Not enough "Dunkirk spirit" and too much finger pointing. Dig in Gary, it's where you as a head coach can make a real difference, you haven't.

I mean he did lose literally all his attackers all at once, not sure anyone is making much of that situation. However the failure to react against Coventry when it was clear we were getting battered by a team a division lower (and lucky that the scoreline didn't reflect that) and most critically we were totally wasting one of our best players in Lemina with him way out of position wasn't great.

Don't think he's any worse than other managers for deflecting, they all do it, I take it all with a pinch of salt and don't pay much attention to it.
Of course he's made mistakes, it happens but surely everyone thinks he's done a good job overall, given his inexperience and the cards he's been dealt? Whether he can maintain it next season and beyond we'll see.

I got a couple for Sheffield, £108.65 for 2
once all the TicketMaster bullshit was taken into account

Fucker was at it today

On points lost to VAR: "I don't blame anyone else but us
Complete 180 on Saturday's comments then where he successfully evaded talking about his second half disaster class v West Ham, but made sure everyone knew of the (tbf) dreadful refereeing decision.

Complete 180 on Saturday's comments then where he successfully evaded talking about his second half disaster class v West Ham, but made sure everyone knew of the (tbf) dreadful refereeing decision.
Interview I saw after the game he covered the 2nd half and what he thought went wrong.

Maybe, just maybe stop watching clips of interviews. Media SM accounts will break them down, knowing what gets the hits.
VAR was the main talking point after the game but it wasn't the only thing he talked about.

Bit like after Cov when it was everywhere about the ball boy incident as if he talked about nowt else, when infact it was a reply to a question, he answered and moved on.

The time will come where you can repost what you lolled at early today with a told you so and I can fall back on my opening comments about his suitability but it does feel like you are reaching to be critical, just to keep that spark there.

Interview I saw after the game he covered the 2nd half and what he thought went wrong.

Maybe, just maybe stop watching clips of interviews. Media SM accounts will break them down, knowing what gets the hits.
VAR was the main talking point after the game but it wasn't the only thing he talked about.

Bit like after Cov when it was everywhere about the ball boy incident as if he talked about nowt else, when infact it was a reply to a question, he answered and moved on.

The time will come where you can repost what you lolled at early today with a told you so and I can fall back on my opening comments about his suitability but it does feel like you are reaching to be critical, just to keep that spark there.
The interview I saw, he quickly skipped over it. What with the Spurs, Forest game being bought forward we never got to see him explain his second half tactics on MNF, I'm sure he'd have done it :ROFLMAO:

@Kenny did you hear slopey shoulders Gary interviewed live on talksport today?

He was making excuses, when no one was asking for them. He spent five minutes droning on about injuries rather than talk about some positives!

Personally I was relatively happy with the performance and thought an away point was a decent return.

Why not congratulate the players on a job well done? He has a very woe is me attitude I think.

But to be serious for a second...he did exactly as you have done and praised the players on what I have seen.
Talked about injuries, how some players are now struggling but still give everything, some players who are asked to play out of position and get on with it and complained that we conceded 2 poor goals again.

It’s the continually conceding poor goals which worries me, it’s been a constant theme throughout the season. Take out our exceptional attacking players and we pretty much lose. Given Jeff is going to take out at least 2 permanently that worries me a lot for next season.

Not being able to defend a lead is a worry. Our recent history is 2 coaches that knew how to shut a game down (although the main one at doing that is currently struggling to do that with his current team).

Right now have to have blind faith on whatever changes are coming over the summer. Then resume being concerned after the window has closed.

It’s the continually conceding poor goals which worries me, it’s been a constant theme throughout the season. Take out our exceptional attacking players and we pretty much lose. Given Jeff is going to take out at least 2 permanently that worries me a lot for next season.
It is a concern. Our defensive unit seem fine individually, but collectively are very suspect.

We don't have one centre half who should be starting regularly in the Premier League and when Dawson doesn’t play nobody organising back there either. Couple that with a goalkeeper with a penchant for letting in soft goals which ruins the good work he does with his in the main decent shot stopping and we'll continue to concede poor goals.

Signing a centre half that can defend in a 2, lead and organise should be an even higher priority than a centre forward this Summer. Then try and fashion a partnership with one of the others

Back