• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

O'Neil In, Out and Shaking it all about

For full disclosure (and up for debate):

88/89 - Turner 8/10
89/90 - Turner 6.5/10
90/91 - Turner 6/10
91/92 - Turner 5/10
92/93 - Turner 5.5/10
93/94 - Turner 5/10, Taylor 6/10
94/95 - Taylor 6.5/10
95/96 - Taylor 2/10, McGhee 4/10
96/97 - McGhee 6/10
97/98 - McGhee 5.5/10
98/99 - McGhee 5/10, Lee 6.5/10
99/00 - Lee 7/10
00/01 - Lee 3/10, Jones 4/10
01/02 - Jones 6.5/10
02/03 - Jones 6.5/10
03/04 - Jones 5/10
04/05 - Jones 2/10, Hoddle 4.5/10
05/06 - Hoddle 3/10
06/07 - McCarthy 8/10
07/08 - McCarthy 5.5/10
08/09 - McCarthy 8/10
09/10 - McCarthy 6.5/10
10/11 - McCarthy 6.5/10
11/12 - McCarthy 3/10, Connor 1/10
12/13 - Solbakken 3.5/10, Saunders 0/10
13/14 - Jackett 7.5/10
14/15 - Jackett 7.5/10
15/16 - Jackett 3.5/10
16/17 - Zenga 3/10, Lambert 4.5/10
17/18 - Nuno 9/10
18/19 - Nuno 9/10
19/20 - Nuno 9/10
20/21 - Nuno 4.5/10
21/22 - Lage 3.5/10
22/23 - Lage 1/10, Davis 3.5/10, Lopetegui 7/10
23/24* - O'Neil 8/10

I'd give Lambert a slightly higher mark for bringing a semblance of competence when it could have gone very wrong.

6.5 for a Jones promotion season seems harsh, but is generous for the prior season when he was clueless on how to arrest the decline

Lage for a top half PL finish should be higher even though I'd have sacked him at the end of it.

The McGhee/Lee era all merges into one big mush of meh in my mind.

Back to back Championships would get Turner higher than an 8 from me, but I'd be lower than a 5 by the end

6.5 for a Jones promotion season seems harsh, but is generous for the prior season when he was clueless on how to arrest the decline

Lage for a top half PL finish should be higher even though I'd have sacked him at the end of it.
On these two:

I'd have sacked Jones twice in 02/03 before he got the job done :D

Lage inherited a top half PL side now we had a striker again, he just scraped doing it with awful football and he was a cunt, I actively disliked going to games under him

If the season ended now (even taking Saturday into account) I'd give O'Neil 8/10 for the season.

Nuno gets three straight 9/10s for his first three seasons.

To match Gaz this year I'd say you're going back to 06/07 and 08/09 with Mick (different circumstances in both), and Turner in 88/89 before that. Ken was good in his first two seasons but a rung below.

No-one else is close in my time.

Of course that mark could change if we totally "Charlton under Curbishley" it.
Yeah this is very fair (although the Turner season was before my time so take your word for it…)

He’s done a good job. I have my concerns over some tactical and coaching aspects but I hope I’m able to judge that when he’s actually got a squad that he’s happy (or at least, comfortable) with.

You were at the time...
Like I said, it's a different conversation. In a vacuum, I don't/didn't mind the plan in January, but there are two caveats:
  1. Bad luck or no, injuries have made our business in January very poor, with the benefit of hindsight
  2. We have to spend a little bit in the summer
The first I can't rightly hold against the club. The second... I can only hold my breath and cross my fingers that my optimism won't read back as hellish stupidity come September.

Like I said, it's a different conversation. In a vacuum, I don't/didn't mind the plan in January, but there are two caveats:
  1. Bad luck or no, injuries have made our business in January very poor, with the benefit of hindsight
  2. We have to spend a little bit in the summer
The first I can't rightly hold against the club. The second... I can only hold my breath and cross my fingers that my optimism won't read back as hellish stupidity come September.
Luck (hope) isn't a strategy

Equally you can't plan as if disaster is inevitable.

Well, that's point 2. If we bring in that proper #9 (however you want to define that) over the summer, I don't mind having waited.

If we kick that can down the road again, I'll be signing on with you and Tredders on the Fuck Fosun™ train.

Nuno first 3 seasons will be iconic for years to come god knows what would’ve happened if it wasn’t for Covid. In fact they’re a bench mark on how sides will probably judged for many years. Unfair maybe but such a good time at the club.
Accuse me of hindsight but you can probably track back and find I was very unsure about Lage.
The guy gets way too much sympathy for a guy who bored out the league, alienated senior pros from the Nuno era and ran out of ideas once the Nuno blue print had ran out.
GON has so far exceeded his expectations 41 points and guaranteed safety before Easter is dreamland.
Could go south but I actually think GON is developing forwarded and learning on the job.
I was wrong thinking he was way out his depth, his biggest test is next season though.

Nuno first 3 seasons will be iconic for years to come god knows what would’ve happened if it wasn’t for Covid. In fact they’re a bench mark on how sides will probably judged for many years. Unfair maybe but such a good time at the club.
Accuse me of hindsight but you can probably track back and find I was very unsure about Lage.
The guy gets way too much sympathy for a guy who bored out the league, alienated senior pros from the Nuno era and ran out of ideas once the Nuno blue print had ran out.
GON has so far exceeded his expectations 41 points and guaranteed safety before Easter is dreamland.
Could go south but I actually think GON is developing forwarded and learning on the job.
I was wrong thinking he was way out his depth, his biggest test is next season though.
Agree with most of this, however I've never seen that much sympathy for Lage, on here quite the opposite

Agree with most of this, however I've never seen that much sympathy for Lage, on here quite the opposite

Not on here but the leverage he was given by the home supporters was very generous, consider the absolute dogs abuse MM got.
Yes MM could be inflammatory in his post match and pre match comments but Lage was hardly an endearing character.

GON will get abuse in the ground far sooner than Lage would have/did, if performances/results drop, i absolutely guarantee it.

I agree, but will probably be in part to do with the general dissatisfaction of the last couple of years, the club in general has les credit in the bank than they did immediately post-Nuno rather than purely based on the respective performance of the managers themselves

I'd have played two up top utilising the same personnel actually. I'd have kept Mario where he's proven so effective this season in a 352.

I'd have had RAN playing LW before Mario and Bueno at LWB in place of RAN if playing a 343

To his credit, GON did dig us out of a hole, the hole though was of his own making. We lost the midfield battle big time.
@Elephant Pyjamas you chose not to respond to the above. I guess you either agree? Or don't think my suggestion is too outlandish? Just wondering??

Broadly agree with the ratings but a bit harsh on Hoddle’s first season and Nuno’s last.
The trouble with Hoddle's first season was that although it was an improvement on what came before, it was also the start of the perpetual 1 1 draw we found ourselves in. Fuck me, was it boring.

The trouble with Hoddle's first season was that although it was an improvement on what came before, it was also the start of the perpetual 1 1 draw we found ourselves in. Fuck me, was it boring.
You can only judge on that season, not what came after. In the end Hoddle showed he was a complete prick and rightly goes down as a reviled character but in his first season the football wasn’t anywhere near as bad as what followed.

Back