• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Our strongest matchday squad

I think rotation is ok as log as we keep our best 3/4 playing most weeks. If Tex or Bod or Dicko has a stormer one week we can't be swapping them out for Mason just for rotations sake. The likes of Evans, Coady, Costa, John and Gladon will be used to rotate around our best front 6 I'd imagine. I just hope to god that Edwards finally gets dumped

There is absolutely no use for Edwards in this squad now. Before you could've made a case for needing his experience in such a young squad but now we could field an XI including guys like Batth, Ikeme, Sa Pereira, Oniangue, Saiss & Stearman. All of whom have been around long enough to coach a young guy like Borthwick-Jackson or Teixeira through a game. We've got a really nice blend now.

In terms of ability? Edwards is comfortably 6th or 7th choice for one of the 2 midfield spots he's actually capable of playing.

-------------Ikeme-------------

Iorfa---Batth--Stearman---CBJ

------------Saiss---------------

-------Prince---Teixeira--------

----Ivan----Dicko---Graham---

Bench:
Bods, Costa, Hause, Silvio, Zyro, Price, Lonergan

We got a stew goin.
I'd say this is my pick of the bunch. iI'd probably stick Wallace on the bench over Zyro, though.

It is faintly ludicrous that we could feasibly bench Bod (after the start he's had), leave Jed out of the squad and still have such a strong-looking starting XI.

It is faintly ludicrous that we could feasibly bench Bod (after the start he's had), leave Jed out of the squad and still have such a strong-looking starting XI.

It really isn’t; it’s just what we need. We should be aiming for a squad of sufficient depth that it can provide a replacement of equal or almost equal ability to our first choice in every position. That’s how the best teams are able to carry on regardless when key players are sidelined and why a couple of injuries have always been able to ruin our season in the past.

It really isn’t; it’s just what we need. We should be aiming for a squad of sufficient depth that it can provide a replacement of equal or almost equal ability to our first choice in every position. That’s how the best teams are able to carry on regardless when key players are sidelined and why a couple of injuries have always been able to ruin our season in the past.
I was referring to how quickly it's happened considering where we were in May. It's obviously what we needed.

Give this lot half a dozen games to gel then see where we are. Three or four wins on the spin for confidence and , well who knows. What I am liking is we now have genuine debate about our strongest 11 and there are probably 15 or 16 players involved . That shows our depth. Bloody brilliant. Fucking international break getting in the way of real football!

Assuming everyone is fully fit I would go with

-------------------IKEME-----------------------------

--SILVIO----BAATH----STEARMAN----CBJ------

-------------------SAISS--------------------------

--CAVALIERO---PRINCE----TEXIERA-----COSTA

-------------------JDB-----------------------------

BENCH: Lonergan, Doherty, Hause, Price, Graham, Gladon, Dicko

Back up - Saville, Wallace, John, Iorfa, Evans, Coady, Mason & Edwards

Changes Since the Swansea friendly - WOW just WOW cannot wait for 10th

I have no issue with squad rotation provided you have the depth of squad to do that and you play the players in their right positions. KJ did my swede in by playing the wrong people in the wrong position at the wrong game. Now we have options for each position I have no issue with them being used and utilised with 3 changes per match being the norm. Cup runs will help if we can get one going. We have already seen that WZ makes substitutions to change games not consolidate and he will do so early if things are not working. He has taken a bit of time, had a look, tweaked it and now can look at his other signings while ensuring whatever 11 goes out plays in an entertaining way looking to score and looking to win. Sure that means sometimes we will lose but that also means as a supporter I will be entertained.

Very much think the focus and research on the opposition team will be much improved under the new regime. Walt will work out quickly the pros & cons of our own players, the style they play and what kind of team or specific player they will tend to get more joy from. I think, rather than chucking the same 11 out each week, he will pick the team that he feels will beat the specific opposition we're up against. Having squad depth enables him to do that.

Is t correct that Williamson will be out for at least another three months? If so, we might as well pay him off now.

He still has a contract for a year. What is the benefit of paying it off exactly?

He still has a contract for a year. What is the benefit of paying it off exactly?

Plus how about we show some loyalty to a player who signed a contract and committed 18 months of his life to this football club. It's not his fault he's injured FFS.

377143382a45b160f45a1a4d7e600fef.jpg

Not my choice of team. But a possibility that could see only 3 of our pre season team in our matchday squad.

A good team tho looking at it now.....

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back