• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Our strongest matchday squad

Yea, it's all pretty moot. We're going to see everyone early and often. I don't think Zenga will stray as much as Jackett did in terms of fielding his strongest side when he needs to but he's got plenty of options to keep them fresh for the entire year, even in the midst of fixture congestion.

With the players now in we also have the option of picking teams to deal with specific opponents, which we clearly didn't last season

I'm not even sure what our strongest matchday squad is but what i do know is that we have tremendous strength in depth now and Walter has the ability to pick a range of teams. We can cope with injuries and suspensions easily and rotate to keep the squad fresh. What a difference a month makes.

aye, word

Take the KJ approach. Field our weakest side with what we've got. Go.

You'd have to cheat by fielding untried youngsters to make it properly rubbish, but we could still field the Edwards-Coady-Saville midfield void if we wanted, and/or the Doherty/Henry left side of doom for now.

When everyone's fit and firing I'd go:

----------------------Ikeme---------------------

Silvio----------Iorfa------Batth----------Borthwick-Jackson

----------------------Saiss------------------------

--------------Oniangue-----Teixeira-------------------

------Cavaleiro------Dicko-------Graham------------------

Subs: Lonergan, Stearman, Doherty, Price, Helder, Mason, Bodvarsson

Faintly ridiculous.

Looks good, for now Doherty for Silvio and Bod for Graham in the starting line up with Wallace and Hause on the bench. Ola John competing with Wallace and Mason for bench duties. No room for Evans, Coady and Saville either

Take the KJ approach. Field our weakest side with what we've got. Go.

I'll have a go with the first teamers we have....

Lonergan

Doherty
Hause
Iorfa
Coady

Evans
Saville
Edwards

Mason
Gladon (harsh because i've never seen him play)
Henry

EDIT:
Henry confirmed to Bolton on loan via Wolves Twitter.

Henry out Graham in because he's still 2 months from fitness

Kenny just creamed all over the place. My word. Wait till he gets his next job and gets ahold of that team sheet.

Ikeme

Doherty
Iorfa
Batth
CBJ

Saiss

Coady/Teixeira
Prince

Graham
Bodvarsson
Cavaleiro

Subs: Lonergan, Silvio, Stearman, Coady/Tex, John, Helder Costa, Dicko

Squad: Hause, Price, Evans, Saville, Wallace, Mason, Bright, Gladon

Edwards

Ikeme

Doherty
Iorfa
Batth
CBJ

Saiss

Coady/Teixeira
Prince

Graham
Bodvarsson
Cavaleiro

Subs: Lonergan, Silvio, Stearman, Coady/Tex, John, Helder Costa, Dicko

Squad: Hause, Price, Evans, Saville, Wallace, Mason, Bright, Gladon

Edwards

Hmmm, yeah, tough call....

Slightly disappointed we haven't upgraded on Ikeme but everywhere else on the pitch I'm delighted with

Ikeme

Iorfa
Batth
Stearman
CBJ

Saiss
Prince
Tex

Ivan
Bod
Dicko

Hmmm, yeah, tough call....

Wallace and Coady have started the season really well. Can't see either getting a game now.

As for Price, Evans, Saville and Edwards, I reckon only one of them will even make the bench.

Zenga has repeatedly spoken about squad rotation and it being better someone plays 20 games in a promoted side than 38 in a mid table one. I think we'll see 4/5 changes every match and rarely see a 'best' 11

So is our squad now as strong as Newcastle's? That's clearly the benchmark in this division: I'd say we're ahead of Norwich, Villa have made some big name signings but whether that translates onto the pitch remains to be seen, but Newcastle look very strong to me.

Only those with a real knowledge of European football on here know how strong our squad is. Look at the signings we have made and who honestly knows much about them to know if they are any good? I'm excited, but I'm Tim I when it comes to whether we've done good business or not.

Andy Lonergan -OK back up keeper, would worry me if he had to play more than the odd game here or there
Silvio - Terrible injury record and out still. Knew nothing about him beforehand, but if we can get him fit seems to have a good pedigree
Helder Costa - Not seen him play for us or elsewhere
Joao Teixeira - seems a very good signing, hope he can stand up to some of the cloggers in this league
Jon Dadi Bodvarsson - strong start and already looks a pivotal player
Prince Oniangue - As Costa
Jack Ruddy - signed for the U23's
Cameron Borthwick-Jackson - looked good when I saw him for United last year. Tough on Doherty, but I hope he's first choice very soon
Ola John - Saw a little of him for Reading and wasn't impressed, but seems like he'd be a decent option from the bench if we are chasing a game
Paul Gladon - as Costa
Richard Stearman - would have preferred better, but in my view an improvement on where Hause is currently
Romain Saiss - as Costa
Ivan Cavaleiro - our record signing, but for me as Costa

Not being negative here, just I know so little about so many I can't honestly say whether we've spent well or not and therefore even guess where that will get us in the league or compare us against other squads. If they were honest I'd say 80% of Wolves fans are in the same place.

Quite frankly this is ridiulous.....

Ikeme

Borthwick-Jackson
Stears
Batth
Silvio (if fit)/Iorfa

Saiss - holding
Prince
Tex

Ivan
Bod
Graham

Subs: Lonergan, Hause, Iorfa/Doherty, Coady, Costa, Zyro, Dicko

Unbelievable options!!!!!

This!

Zenga has repeatedly spoken about squad rotation and it being better someone plays 20 games in a promoted side than 38 in a mid table one. I think we'll see 4/5 changes every match and rarely see a 'best' 11

Totally agree with this. Doubt we'll ever actually see what most people think on paper is our best 11. The likes of Evans, Saville, Edwards, Coady, Mason etc will continue to get games, blended, mixed & rotated in with the new signings and the lads returning from injury.

We'll be about as far away from Leicester City last season in terms of playing the same 11 every week. I can imagine some line ups being announced resulting in us scratching our heads, but we just need to have faith in Walter and that he has selected the right 11 to beat whatever challenge is in front of us.

For a change, it makes a wonderful difference to actually have some real strength & depth. It's a long old season and we'll need them all.

Totally agree with this. Doubt we'll ever actually see what most people think on paper is our best 11. The likes of Evans, Saville, Edwards, Coady, Mason etc will continue to get games, blended, mixed & rotated in with the new signings and the lads returning from injury.

We'll be about as far away from Leicester City last season in terms of playing the same 11 every week. I can imagine some line ups being announced resulting in us scratching our heads, but we just need to have faith in Walter and that he has selected the right 11 to beat whatever challenge is in front of us.

For a change, it makes a wonderful difference to actually have some real strength & depth. It's a long old season and we'll need them all.

Call me old fashioned, but to me there's nothing better than a settled team. This squad rotation business always leads to baffling decisions. Plus it means that Edwards is sure to get a game or two.

I reckon that there will be a big exodus at the next window. A lot of our young old guard are rapidly becoming surplus to requirements. They must know that, so half of Zenga's job will be playing the politician.

I have no issue with squad rotation provided you have the depth of squad to do that and you play the players in their right positions. KJ did my swede in by playing the wrong people in the wrong position at the wrong game. Now we have options for each position I have no issue with them being used and utilised with 3 changes per match being the norm. Cup runs will help if we can get one going. We have already seen that WZ makes substitutions to change games not consolidate and he will do so early if things are not working. He has taken a bit of time, had a look, tweaked it and now can look at his other signings while ensuring whatever 11 goes out plays in an entertaining way looking to score and looking to win. Sure that means sometimes we will lose but that also means as a supporter I will be entertained.

Anyone got any idea on the squad numbers the new guys will have? Is #7 available now that Henry is out of loan - or is that still his as he's due back in January?

Back