• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Paul Lambert Leaves Wolves

I think Percy was fairly tight with Lambert when he was at Villa.

It's not on for managers to do this even when things are going well, Orangegob Coyle used to do it all the time with that clueless wanker Alan Nixon, leaking stories about transfer targets and the like. It's a silly game for him to play. He isn't in a strong enough position to do it.

Who was the reporter who had all the inside info on Lambert in the run in to him being appointed? Confirmed he'd had an interview, rubbished claims he'd been appointed early as he knew Lambert was in Germany at the time etc? Wasn't John Percy was it?

I can't remember that but Percy was the journalist who broke the takeover involving Chinese & Mendes.

I'd take Mendes over Lambert a hundred times out of ten.

Fair enough. If there's a boil and it needs lancing let's do it in May as opposed to August. But if Lambert goes - and personally I think he deserves a fair crack: whatever your view on Hanley and Hugill we'd have been higher up the table if we'd signed them last August - then Thelwell has to go as well. We cannot have Thelwell in charge of recruiting another coach who doesn't have full control. For fuck's sake, how difficult is it to run a football club? All the shite teams that are above us in the league. Or maybe Fosun think Venkys have got it right...

Ballache tweeted this, could be a pure coincidence mind, but worth mentioning I thought.

@GuillemBalague

Mauricio Pellegrino is leaving Alaves and English clubs asking about the former Barcelona, Liverpool, Valencia player (he speaks English)

This is what I don't get. Jeff said this a month ago:

Speaking on the involvement of Portuguese super agent Jorge Mendes, Shi was quick to reassure the Wolves faithful that there is nothing to be concerned about regarding his involvement. In the Express and Star, Shi is quoted as saying: “He’s an asset to us. Jorge is a good help and also one part of the whole project. I understand, it’s maybe a new thing to the club. Some fans will be worried about it, ‘an agent is influencing the club and it’s for the pocket of him’, but I can say…do you think Jorge really needs the money from Wolves? He wants to help us because of our relationship and he loves the club and Fosun.”

Ignore the guff about Mendes loving us and Fosun. What's clear is that Mendes was definitely going to have an ongoing involvement. If that wasn't implicit before Lambert settled in then it was certainly explicit before the end of the season. You can't play a power game based on something being unexpectedly foisted on you if it's something that's entirely expected.

Lets face it if Paul Lambert's summer targets include the likes of Hanley and Hugil he's badly in need of someone like Jorge Mendes. Its important we up the quality.

Ignore the guff about Mendes loving us and Fosun. What's clear is that Mendes was definitely going to have an ongoing involvement. If that wasn't implicit before Lambert settled in then it was certainly explicit before the end of the season. You can't play a power game based on something being unexpectedly foisted on you if it's something that's entirely expected.

Thanks - I was looking for that as I knew it'd been mentioned somewhere recently. Also, Mendes would have been around when Costa was signed permanently.

Jeff Shi sat in on the managerial interviews so Lambert would have asked and been told of the role Jorge Mendes would play going forward.

Tim Spiers‏Verified account @tim_spiers_Star 5m5 minutes ago

Spending £27m and finishing 15th is farcical. Whether you like Lambert or not, poor recruitment can't be blamed on him. Problems lie deeper.

:facepalm:

Must be fucking difficult to accept uber quality players being purchased "Another Helder Costa type player? no thanks, would prefer a lump of shite from Preston to be honest"

Tim Spiers‏Verified account @tim_spiers_Star 5m5 minutes ago

Spending £27m and finishing 15th is farcical. Whether you like Lambert or not, poor recruitment can't be blamed on him. Problems lie deeper.

:facepalm:

£19m on the two that kept us up ay Timbo. Great stick to beat Wolves with..

Back