• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Permutations

MobNet Wolf

Reaction score
Because a little hope never killed anyone. Lets pretend for a moment that Derby, Ipswich and Brentford all draw this weekend. Really not beyond all comprehension.

We go into the final day with things looking like this:

Derby77Reading (H)
Ipswich76Blackburn (A)
Wolves75Millwall (H)
Brentford73Wigan (H)

Should that happen, I really wouldn't back Ipswich to get a result at Blackburn....

Problem is we need to win both of our remaining games - which I'm not totally confident of. We're still in the mix, though - and with two games of the season left; we can't really have asked for more considering this is our return season. Thin lines and all that - we should have got a point v Birmingham and we were more than good enough to turn Ipswich over and failed to do so.

I said on another thread that I fully expect us to go into the Millwall game needing a win and a result going our way elsewhere. (A win on Saturday and one of Ipswich and Derby drawing). I equally expect it to not do and have a flat final afternoon at Molineux.

I always tend to verge on the positive side of realism, but even I'm having to admit it is expecting a biiiit too much now - two of Derby, Ipswich and Brentford will have to slip up twice to allow us in, and that's with us winning both. Obviously it is still possible, and I'm ever hopeful, but chances have reached 'pretty slim'.

I said on another thread that I fully expect us to go into the Millwall game needing a win and a result going our way elsewhere. (A win on Saturday and one of Ipswich and Derby drawing). I equally expect it to not do and have a flat final afternoon at Molineux.

This years run in reminds me of 2008, when we missed out on the play offs on the last day to Watford, think we had to beat Plymouth by two goals then, but we couldn't do it. Think it will be the same this year, a close run thing with our goal difference being the decider.

On the bright side, after we missed out on the play offs in 2008 we strengthened in that summer and went on to win the league the next season.....

What's the point? On current form we wouldn't beat any of the current top 6 over two legs.

What a wonderful attitude.

I don't know why Arsenal bother qualifying for the Champions League, they'll only get beaten by Barcelona if they get drawn against them.

If we took our two game results this season as playoff semis then

Bournemouth lose the tie
Watford win the tie
Boro win the tie
Norwich win the tie
Derby lose the tie
Ipswich lose the tie.

50% hit rate. Stop pretending we are shit compared to the rest of the top pack when the results don't stack up.

Bournemouth lose the tie
Watford win the tie
Boro win the tie
Norwich win the tie
Derby lose the tie
Ipswich lose the tie.

50% hit rate. Stop pretending we are shit compared to the rest of the top pack when the results don't stack up.

While I totally agree with you... wouldn't we lose the Norwich tie 2-1? /nitpick

All we can do is win our last two games and see where that takes us. Whether we make the play offs or not, I still think we have had a good season.

I think we have the easiest fixture this weekend, it's the funny season for results. I wouldn't be surprised by any outcome Saturday.
Ipswich are playing Forrest who potentially could cause them problems, Millwall will be fighting against Derby I actually think Brentford will beat Reading who'll have a case of after The Lord Mayor show.

I would be amazed if Brentford didn't beat Reading. Nothing to play for and all the wind smashed out of their sails by that loss to an Arsenal side that they had a chance to beat.

Our big hope is Forest doing us a favour. If Millwall can do the same, even better.

We still need to get some serious goals though.

My gut feeling is that the Millwall game will be meaningless for us but Millwall will need to win to stay up.

My gut feeling is that the Millwall game will be meaningless for us but Millwall will need to win to stay up.

That may well be right, unless we get a decent win v Wigan, but the season will still have been more positive than negative & as DDW said earlier the last time we got this close we won the division the next season.

(in any event getting into the Playoffs guarantees nothing - 3 of the 4 sides that do will still be here next season)

We could send two teams down in 7 days.

Bournemouth lose the tie
Watford win the tie
Boro win the tie
Norwich win the tie
Derby lose the tie
Ipswich lose the tie.

50% hit rate. Stop pretending we are $#@! compared to the rest of the top pack when the results don't stack up.

"On current form we wouldn't beat any of the current top 6 over two legs. "

Read for comprehension.

Back