• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

QuestionTime With PPB, Instead of Sir Robin Day .

I hate this country's obsession with the Second World War, I don't see what's to be celebrated.

I wouldn't celebrate it in the way of picnics and buntings, but I will remember the people who sacrificed an awful lot.

Apart from the entire country sacrificing everything to ensure the overthrowing of a regime that wanted to exterminate entire races of people from the planet?

It's the fact that it informs so much of our thinking, idiots banging on about "Blitz spirit" and the like, it promotes exceptionalism at a time when we are far from exceptional and there's a generation of people that like to pretend that they were part of the whole effort despite them either not being born or being very young children at the time.

It's a very interesting historical period but it gets fetishised to a ludicrous extent here, I don't like war being glorified or being used as a political weapon.

Apart from the entire country sacrificing everything to ensure the overthrowing of a regime that wanted to exterminate entire races of people from the planet?

If it were as simple as that i would agree with you and commemorating those who served, and the country's efforts in defeating fascism isn't the problem. It's the jingoistic nonsense that goes with it and demeans those efforts, the gradual change in focus from Victory in Europe to Victory over Europe and in general this country's inability to move away from revelling in the past to the detriment of looking forward.

It's this kind of rubbish that grinds my gears. We didn't overthrow anybody, without Hitler's lunacy of trying to invade Russia we'd have been fucked. The Russian intervention is by far the biggest turning point of the Second World War. It decimated the German army and split their logistics.

D-Day was a day we broke the German stronghold on France and the sheer loss of men on that day is nothing to be celebrated.

We achieved fuck all, nobody wins when that many people died.

It's the fact that it informs so much of our thinking, idiots banging on about "Blitz spirit" and the like, it promotes exceptionalism at a time when we are far from exceptional and there's a generation of people that like to pretend that they were part of the whole effort despite them either not being born or being very young children at the time.

It's a very interesting historical period but it gets fetishised to a ludicrous extent here, I don't like war being glorified or being used as a political weapon.

I certainly don't see glory in war and I have my own personal reasons, alongside the logic that there is no glory in death, only lost life and therefore opportunity and sadness.

I don't see your argument about Blitz spirit being used to whitewash tragedy, I see it as a celebration of the stoicism that people have within themselves when challenged, it exists in all people and should rightly be celebrated when it is displayed, certainly not being used to whitewash tragedy or failings. I think there is an argument the public do require a bit of "good news" every now and then, the truth is an unremitting horror that people just don't want to know, like arsehokes and profiteers exist in peace and war time in equal abundance.

It is a fascinating period of history and one that I've only scratched the surface of, one of my many ambitions is to delve deeper into it

Is anyone's street having a street party for VE Day, you know where you decorate your house and sit on your driveways having sandwiches??

Not many on the Forum will be participating it seems.

Where my sister lives the whole street will get involved, table and chairs at the end of drives, food, house decorated, red white and blue buntings, red white and blue clothing. This kind of thing makes me cringe a bit.

I certainly don't see glory in war and I have my own personal reasons, alongside the logic that there is no glory in death, only lost life and therefore opportunity and sadness.

I don't see your argument about Blitz spirit being used to whitewash tragedy, I see it as a celebration of the stoicism that people have within themselves when challenged, it exists in all people and should rightly be celebrated when it is displayed, certainly not being used to whitewash tragedy or failings. I think there is an argument the public do require a bit of "good news" every now and then, the truth is an unremitting horror that people just don't want to know, like arsehokes and profiteers exist in peace and war time in equal abundance.

It is a fascinating period of history and one that I've only scratched the surface of, one of my many ambitions is to delve deeper into it

Not accusing you personally of that mate.

But look at all the wartime analogies and callbacks made by the very worst of Brexit fanatics over the last four years.

We have landed lucky in terms of chains as well. The buyer for the MiL's house is a first time buyer so no chain
Our buyer is a first time buyer and the house we ar ebuying has no upward chain. That will help loads when the wheels start moving again

We will hopefully be able to pop for a pint (diet coke) when you're moved!

We will hopefully be able to pop for a pint (diet coke) when you're moved!

Certainly won't be a Diet Coke.

The Grazing Cow will be a short walk from my the new house

Grazing Cow is closest to me too, takes me at least 7-8 minutes to walk there!

Think it will be a similar walk for me. Will be shorter when they finish the new house builds on the hill heading down to it.

We have another pub a couple of mins up the hill, but I can't remember the name of that one

Not accusing you personally of that mate.

But look at all the wartime analogies and callbacks made by the very worst of Brexit fanatics over the last four years.

Yeah I know where your coming from, I just feel that if the extremists get to own anything then they have won.

That and also the fact this lockdown is really starting to do my nut in.

Is anyone's street having a street party for VE Day, you know where you decorate your house and sit on your driveways having sandwiches??

Nothing going on round here, but then there probably wouldn't have been anyway.

Will take some time out to raise a glass to those who contributed, particularly both of my parents (neither of whom are still here). My Dad enlisted in Sept 1939, was in N Africa for a while then landed as a forward obs Officer for a light artillery regiment in Normandy on 8th June. Fought all through the Normandy campaign then through Belgium & N Germany.
My Mum qualified as a nurse in 1938 & worked in major hospitals throughout, initially in London till they got bombed out in the blitz then in Surrey (good job really as she nursed my dad when he got injured & without that I probably wouldn't be here)

Certainly won't be a Diet Coke.

The Grazing Cow will be a short walk from my the new house

Decent pub, that. I've been there a good few times as I get 20% of food. You're moving pretty near the shopping centre, then?

That's pretty good.

C'mon PPB, get another set of questions out!

Back