• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Relegation Thread 2023/24

I agree with second and third to last paragraphs of this. Interesting the PL wanted 8 points. Clear to me that if they have a preferred sanction they should put it in the rules of the league and get clubs to vote for it.

Want to sympathise with them but its hard when they purchased so many players that some couldn't be used, it kind of ruins your defence.
Yes you are hampered by PSR but sprayed money on transfer and wages everywhere also kind of sends you head first in to breaking the rules. Did you need Lingard on 70-80k a week? Did you need to sign 20+ players inc some so you could transfer them on loan to Olympiacos to help them avoid the fees.

Yep the last 2 paragraphs are spot on, basically saying the system suits those higher up the food change with far higher commercial value and CL money etc
As discussed PSR basically puts you in bracket in the pyramid and where you’re when the music stops.
No need for money bag owners just savvy ones with some decent amount of cash.
As big as Newcastle think they’re they will never compete with Man Utd, Liverpool & Arsenal commercially.
I don’t like it but the rules are what they are so breaking them will get you in deep shit.
Bit like being done for doing 33 in a 30 and moaning that it’s harsh.

Yeah, the thrust of "the rules are a bit bollocks really, aren't they", I'm with you.

But you have to be a halfway reasonable club to make that argument, I've not seen a club sign players like that since Barry Fry at Blues 30 years ago. So there's no way you can argue that it was inevitable that the rules would trip you up, because no-one *has* to behave like that.

Want to sympathise with them but its hard when they purchased so many players that some couldn't be used, it kind of ruins your defence.
Yes you are hampered by PSR but sprayed money on transfer and wages everywhere also kind of sends you head first in to breaking the rules. Did you need Lingard on 70-80k a week? Did you need to sign 20+ players inc some so you could transfer them on loan to Olympiacos to help them avoid the fees.
I don't have sympathy for their particular approach or the fact that they chose to blatantly ignore the rules. Their point about being penalised for aspiration and not being able to grow quickly is correct though

I don't have sympathy for their particular approach or the fact that they chose to blatantly ignore the rules. Their point about being penalised for aspiration and not being able to grow quickly is correct though
Again my sympathy is a bit limited when we got hit by UEFA for being too good too quickly, that's even more backwards.

Yeah, the thrust of "the rules are a bit bollocks really, aren't they", I'm with you.

But you have to be a halfway reasonable club to make that argument, I've not seen a club sign players like that since Barry Fry at Blues 30 years ago. So there's no way you can argue that it was inevitable that the rules would trip you up, because no-one *has* to behave like that.
and after the trolley dash in the Summer they did this

1710783377188.png

Their point about being penalised for aspiration and not being able to grow quickly is correct though
Would agree more if their transfer policy wasn't as batshit crazy as Jeff Shi thinking he was a football scout. Doesn't scream we want to grow and be a force in the Prem League.

The Shelvey deal was beyond stupid, but the Chris Wood fee seems pretty reasonable since he has 9 goals and 1 assist in 22 matches for them.

Their business was beyond stupidity, it’s pretty simple now clubs outside the top 6 clubs need to become creative with their scouting, academy etc
Even still any quality you bring is with you for 2 seasons at best before they’re picked off at big sell on value.
Said it before the 14 PL clubs do the hard scouting yards for the big 6 to take them off you. Unofficial feeder clubs basically.

All relative to the rest of your wage bill though. I'd say it's fine for a guy who's scoring enough goals to keep you up. Sarabia is on more than that and he rarely scores. Moutinho was on £100k.

Authorities will argue it will encourage clubs to bring through more homegrown players.
Clubs will point out it’s far more cost effective to scout abroad for ready made players to slot straight in. Example being how much Joa Gomes have cost if he was English playing in England?
Clubs priority is staying in the PL so they’ll always go for the safer bet.

One of Portugal's greatest ever footballers or Chris Wood, I mean it is a tough choice.
Wages aren't based on International caps though.

My point was they were prepared to pay that for him and have been rewarded by a decent goal return.

Has Fred stolen your log in? :D

9 goals or not, if we'd laid down £15m + 18 months @ £90k/wk (~£7m) + whatever signing on fee for 31 year old Chris Wood I wouldn't be too pleased. Notwithstanding that they signed him as a bit of a rescue act for last season and he did bugger all before getting injured in March and missing the entire run-in.

In general yes I'd agree with you for a mid-table club such as us. But as a newly promoted club relying heavily on goals to keep them up I'd say it was a successful transfer compared to a lot of their business this season.

Forest had two points of the penalty reduced as mitigation due to their early cooperation.

Well I would say appealing with a mealy-mouthed statement that contains 0% mea culpa and 100% it’s not fair you won’t let us spend like a sailor on shore leave is less than perfect cooperation. Stick the mitigated points back into the punishment and add a couple more for general cuntery.

Jeff Stelling this morning the latest to ask why can’t they just impose transfer embargo’s on these clubs. Simple they’ll still spend silly and pack squads with as much as they can and see a couple of transfer window embargo’s as consolidation years.
FFP doesn’t work I agree PSR will just benefit the big boys as will independent regulators.
Can see the good intentions but it’s severely stopping ambition and basically saying every owner can’t be trusted.
Bit like having communism in football.

Jeff Stelling this morning the latest to ask why can’t they just impose transfer embargo’s on these clubs. Simple they’ll still spend silly and pack squads with as much as they can and see a couple of transfer window embargo’s as consolidation years.
FFP doesn’t work I agree PSR will just benefit the big boys as will independent regulators.
Can see the good intentions but it’s severely stopping ambition and basically saying every owner can’t be trusted.
Bit like having communism in football.
All clubs are equal but some are more equal than others.

Back