• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Relegation Thread 2023/24

Eh? We sold Neves about two days after the end of the season. Way before the deadline.
It was near the end of June.

Wolves do their accounting differently though. We run June 1st - May 31st (most teams do the accounts to match PSR) So the Neves deal falls into this years.
Forest presumed 2 things and didn't check
1) We used the same accounting period as they and others do
2) Not selling Neves in that PSR window would leave us in the shit

Steve points in the article point 2 is wrong. We were confident that PSR was fine and that it was this year we would be in the shit without the great big sale and looking at point deductions in the 24/25 season. It is from this period where this £2m or so figure is coming from that Glasgow is using. We predicted that's how much we would be inside the rules at the end of the next PSR 3 year cycle....but we based the prediction on being as shit as all thought we would be and finishing 17th at best and the bare minimum TV games shown (also guessing Cup runs would be listed as out at the first hurdle, so a little extra from the FA Cup run as well)

Last edited:
It's such an odd thing for Forest to bring up (but they are a serious oddball club at the moment).

"You can't expect us to have sold Johnson in June, no-one sells players for big money at that point in the window, I mean look at Wolves....who er, sold their captain for nearly £50m in June"

I thought everyone was being forced to have the same financial year as the calculation now runs on?

Messy as fuck if not. So Neves sale doesn’t appear in our accounts with a big loss but counts for FFP as like a credit because it appears in their calculation of the state of play on June 30.

We then get to claim it through our books next year along with Nunes who was post June 30?

Safe as houses then as long as the limit wasn’t tripped over in the current year and the lack of a charge shows that.

Poor old Jeff is going to struggle singing the same song about shit being tight if both Neves and Nunes drop off our books in the same year.

Poor old Jeff is going to struggle singing the same song about shit being tight if both Neves and Nunes drop off our books in the same year.
the next song which are working on is "We are fine, don't need to sell but what we spend has to be generated and not given to us by the owners"

A long title I know but hope the tune is catchy...

In light of our good name being questioned in the work of fiction otherwise known as “Forest: The Defence”, I stupidly wandered onto LTLF to have a look at their thread.

After seven pages of internet Mos Eisley my brain dribbled out of my nostrils in protest at what it was being subjected to.

Forest also turned down 50m euros for Johnson from Atletico Madrid earlier in the window before rejecting the 3 bids from Brentford. According to Twitter anyway

Also looks like the FD straight up warned Marinakis this was going to happen as promotion bonuses he wanted to include were not allowed ( we could have told them that). So basically they have cooperated but the defence is somewhat lacking

Forest also turned down 50m euros for Johnson from Atletico Madrid earlier in the window before rejecting the 3 bids from Brentford. According to Twitter anyway
It was on June 30th and conditional on Atleti selling a player first, so would still have missed the deadline

The Brentford bids are there in undisputed fact. And they cleared the issue.

Forest chose to go down a different road.

I thought everyone was being forced to have the same financial year as the calculation now runs on?

Messy as fuck if not. So Neves sale doesn’t appear in our accounts with a big loss but counts for FFP as like a credit because it appears in their calculation of the state of play on June 30.

We then get to claim it through our books next year along with Nunes who was post June 30?

Safe as houses then as long as the limit wasn’t tripped over in the current year and the lack of a charge shows that.

The Madeley article (if I read it correctly) states that the Neves money is going in this years accounts and PSR mirrors that.

So we were OK this year in terms of PSR and escaped any punishments even without all the sales we made in the summer? Or am I being dim

So we were OK this year in terms of PSR and escaped any punishments even without all the sales we made in the summer? Or am I being dim
Consensus seems to be we were always going to be ok for 2020-2023

2021-2024 was going to be a significant issue if we didn't sell players, but we have so we'll be fine

We were fine for 2022/3, all the sales from Neves onwards will sit in the 2023/4 accounts.

Right okay. So yeah the line this summer will be about us generating our own budget etc

And the ST price increase will be because PSR is moving to a direct correlation with revenue.
And that increase will most defiantly finish me off. I currently put £50 a month away from June to June and an increase would mean going above that monthly saving which I refuse to do.

Right okay. So yeah the line this summer will be about us generating our own budget etc
Thinking about this, this was largely the plan originally too but a combination of Sellars being out of his depth/a yes man and Bruno being a fuckwit caused us to panic and slurge a load on Nunes/Guedes/Kalajzdic/Collins which we are being paying the price for.

Now we’ve got closer to back to that I do trust Hobbs more, even if I’m still extremely wary of him signing Doherty because he saw him on a fucking golf course

The Madeley article (if I read it correctly) states that the Neves money is going in this years accounts and PSR mirrors that.
PSR mirrors your accounting year, ours is May, Forest is June, so we couldn't sell Neves in June and include him in the 2022/3 figures, they could have sold Johnson and included him, but didn't.

Thinking about this, this was largely the plan originally too but a combination of Sellars being out of his depth/a yes man and Bruno being a fuckwit caused us to panic and slurge a load on Nunes/Guedes/Kalajzdic/Collins which we are being paying the price for.

Now we’ve got closer to back to that I do trust Hobbs more, even if I’m still extremely wary of him signing Doherty because he saw him on a fucking golf course
I don't think many have an issue in principle with this, but you need a successful strike rate to make it work, 2 duff Summer windows relegates you in all likelihood and you still need to buy the odd Dawson where you will lose money to balance the experience

I'm not convinced by Hobbs at all.

Add in the Summer/January window debacles and Michael Beale for reasons why.

He's better than Sellars though. But so was John Richards.

Back