• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Relegation Thread 2023/24

We got away with Nunes and Collins big time, they were awful for us and they've been awful since leaving, but we made a small profit on both somehow.

Guedes is a proper albatross, what the fuck were we thinking. Even if he's doing alright for Villarreal there's no way they have the money to keep him, and that's his place in the food chain, the clubs that could afford him wouldn't want him.

I have concerns over who will be sold this summer to generate the funds we need to invest back in the squad. Neto's injury record is atrocious and he was the obvious candidate, but unless we do a complete u-turn on Kilman (and there's still someone stupid enough out there to offer £30m again) then it's going to have to be one of Cunha or RAN, realistically, and selling either of them will do more harm then good - plus we have to give loads to Angers whenever we sell RAN. I suppose you could throw Hwang in the mix but I don't see anyone offering a substantial amount for him as his goalscoring record is as streaky as his injury one.

Because of this, I imagine Fosun will try and squeeze whatever they can out of the club elsewhere. So I'd be truly shocked if there isn't another increase on ticket prices/season tickets next season.

It will be another window of players that, on paper, are very much "meh", but we have to hope they come in & do a job. It's been mentioned quite often on here, but the transfers of Dawson & Lemina weren't exactly welcomed with overwhelming positivity on here (& elsewhere) but they've done well - so we probably all need to be a bit more open-minded about the players we get linked with/eventually buy.

I'm not convinced by Hobbs at all.

Add in the Summer/January window debacles and Michael Beale for reasons why.

He's better than Sellars though. But so was John Richards.
It's difficult to know where Jeff's meddling begins and ends. I don't blame Hobbs for either of the last 2 windows, he's doing what he's told. Imo Jeff didn't want a CF so we didn't sign one, that's not on Hobbs, but like everyone else underneath him is going to operate to orders, he's also not the one who peddles the not got a pot to piss in lines.

The only exception to that is Kilman, I'd love to know the real story behind that.

so we probably all need to be a bit more open-minded about the players we get linked with/eventually buy.
Where is the fun in that?

They are either the greatest player ever to step foot on this planet or so shit, they should be playing so far down the pyramid they require 2 full time jobs to survive. No inbetween

Id like to see the revenue just Hwang brings in. His fans are flocking to Molineux and the sales the club make surely makes him more important then most to keep.

Id like to see the revenue just Hwang brings in. His fans are flocking to Molineux and the sales the club make surely makes him more important then most to keep
Next to fuck all is the answer. There's about 20 to 30 at each game, buying tickets we'd have sold anyway so all we are making off them is the price of membership and club shop tat. There's value in a pre season tour, but we fucked that up last year by signing up with a Korean Del Boy

Whatever it is, it wouldn't be worth turning down a decent bid for him IMO. We'll have the same from him as we get now for as long as he's here, pockets of goalscoring (and he is quite a good finisher) but offers nothing else and always misses loads of games a season.

If we do have to sell a player for decent money then he's the one to go, not Neto with diminished value, Cunha who we'd make little profit on, Joao Gomes or RAN. Him or Kilman.

Ideally you can realise a fair return (and I say this from the perspective of if I were a buying club, I wouldn't want to spend £1m on some of these, so take what you can) from:

Fabio
Guedes
Podence
Cundle
Hoever
Hodge
Chiquinho

Maybe con someone on Hwang or Kilman, and see if a French club will give us our money back on Bellegarde. If there really is Saudi interest in Sa at a fee that's way above his actual value (and he's 31 now), off you pop too as we could replace you adequately and have change.

I don't think any of those loan players are doing much to convince teams to sign them. There's only Hoever and Podence starting most weeks and Fabio on his job share. We'd need to get £16.5m just to break even on Guedes from a books perspective. A £10m transfer would cost us more money next season than loaning him out again

Ideally you can realise a fair return (and I say this from the perspective of if I were a buying club, I wouldn't want to spend £1m on some of these, so take what you can) from:

Fabio
Guedes
Podence
Cundle
Hoever
Hodge
Chiquinho

Maybe con someone on Hwang or Kilman, and see if a French club will give us our money back on Bellegarde. If there really is Saudi interest in Sa at a fee that's way above his actual value (and he's 31 now), off you pop too as we could replace you adequately and have change.

Even just those listed (without Hwang/Kilman/Bellegarde) would give us plenty to do what we need to do. There's probably £30m in transfer fees; and then at least a £10m pa salary saving would wipe out any remaining amortisation on them and leave plenty to buy a proper 9

We’ve apparently put a £15m price tag on Fabio, but I don’t see how we get that. Rangers might pay £10m with a sell on. Then there’s his wages, I still don’t buy he’s on 80k but if he is then Rangers will only pay half that. So someone’s got to cover the £4m difference…

Guedes I have no idea. He’s doing alright so maybe we can get £16.5m to break even on the amortisation. But again we probably have him a hefty contract.

Podence the option was around £8m? The rest I think your struggling to make £5m for the lot.

We’ve apparently put a £15m price tag on Fabio, but I don’t see how we get that. Rangers might pay £10m with a sell on. Then there’s his wages, I still don’t buy he’s on 80k but if he is then Rangers will only pay half that. So someone’s got to cover the £4m difference…

Guedes I have no idea. He’s doing alright so maybe we can get £16.5m to break even on the amortisation. But again we probably have him a hefty contract.

Podence the option was around £8m? The rest I think your struggling to make £5m for the lot.
Podence's option was quoted the other week as €5m

Podence is a shame, because he'd have made a difference to this squad if we'd kept him here this season. But I appreciate circumstances & attitude got in the way of that.

Just one of Podence, Fabio or Sasa in the starting 11 v Coventry compared to what we had and I think we've probably got ourselves another Wembley appearance. Lot of hindsight in that statement but I don't think it's far off.

Podence is a shame, because he'd have made a difference to this squad if we'd kept him here this season. But I appreciate circumstances & attitude got in the way of that.

Just one of Podence, Fabio or Sasa in the starting 11 v Coventry compared to what we had and I think we've probably got ourselves another Wembley appearance. Lot of hindsight in that statement but I don't think it's far off.
Even just the addition of Bellegarde would have probably been enough.

It was like we were playing with 10 men with our CF options.

Back