• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Relegation Thread 2023/24

Not seen the Independent Commissioners report yet but it would appear from the Everton statement that the perceived double jeopardy of 2 years of the 3 being assessed before has been taken into consideration. The breach itself was lower than the previous one.

5 point penalty, reduced by 2 points because of the 2 years already included in this period previously receiving a penalty and a further one point deduction for pleading guilty.

Sheff Utd 1/200
Burnley 1/16
Luton 4/7
Nottm Forest 2/1
Everton 5/1
Brentford 20/1
Crystal Palace 20/1

Everton as short as 4/1 and 7/2 with other places. I did tell you all 7/1 was a stupid price...

Yep, if 4 points is the cost if you hold your hands up then it's worth gambling if you are in a position like we were last season
With them shifting the reporting window you can also go mad in January if you like and bank on selling players before June 30 after you've reaped the rewards of that spending by staying up, or making Europe, or winning a cup or whatever. When realistically you're spending money during the period that a season is live that you shouldn't be able to.

I know that the rules are changing anyway but it is a nonsense that you can knowingly break the rules, turn down opportunities to sell players to balance the books and then receive points back for admitting guilt/complying with investigations.
I think that a 6 point penalty should be a bare minimum.

I know that the rules are changing anyway but it is a nonsense that you can knowingly break the rules, turn down opportunities to sell players to balance the books and then receive points back for admitting guilt/complying with investigations.
I think that a 6 point penalty should be a bare minimum.
And then go on and appeal after receiving loads of points back through mitigation.

They should be told that if they accept mitigation then they lose the right to appeal.

Everton:
Chelsea (a)
Forest (h)
Liverpool (h)
Brentford (h)
Luton (a)
Sheff Utd (h)
Arsenal (a)

Forest:
Wolves (h)
Everton (a)
City (h)
Sheff Utd (a)
Chelsea (h)
Burnley (a)

Luton:
City (a)
Brentford (h)
Wolves (a)
Everton (h)
West Ham (a)
Fulham (h)

Very hard to call still think it’ll be Luton who think will need to win all home games and get at least something from us or West Ham.
Luton v Everton is perfect for Dyche ball shithousing occasion

The two points suspended for compliance should be reinstated, plus an extra three for a frivolous appeal.
Will probably get another two knocked off though.

4 points is already a piffling deduction for breaking the rules. If they get it reduced or quashed then other clubs will be rightly questioning why bother adhering to the rules.

How did their breach compare with Everton?

And I don’t get Everton either. Only an additional 2 points despite repeat offences rather than actually getting their house in order. What happens next year? 1 point as they’ve already been punished twice…

That’s before we get to having some back for accepting it and playing ball, then appealing… Make that make sense.

My completely ill informed view is that Everton got 2, because they got 6. Neither will win their appeals and 4 points becomes the norm, which when applied the following season isn't much of a deterrent

Yeah if it’s quashed then it’s a nice little test case for everyone else to spend irresponsibly without consequences.
Ones of the reasons the rules are bought in is to protect all other clubs abiding by the rules.

Would it make sense to say 1 point deduction for every £3 million over or summat to that effect.
Why shouldn't it just be a straightforward punishment along those lines?

Back