• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Relegation Thread 2023/24

I like the fact that they haven't blown it all up (Luton too). Clubs yoyo'ing and recognising the likelihood as opposed to short term thinking when they get promoted is far more sustainable than the attempts we got before. And in my view/experience English coaches get sacked a bit too frequently compared to other sports.
Burnley spent around £100m, that wasn't with yoyoing in mind

Burnley spent around £100m, that wasn't with yoyoing in mind
Fair, and they're were picked as the most likely to survive. They're not however throwing Kompany out with the bath water (yet). I think that's a good thing.

It's an interesting argument. I mean of all the Wolves managers I've seen and the ones we sacked (so everyone apart from Hoddle, Lopetegui and O'Neil, and Hoddle should have gone...) I'd argue that they all went too late!

As I detailed a few weeks back there were about EIGHT times I'd have sacked Dave Jones before we did :D

Dug it out :D

I don't think I've ever gone through as many separate "I'd sack him" moments as I did with DJ :D

- End of 2000/01 when he'd improved absolutely nothing in half a season and was already talking shit
- End of 2001/02 after chucking that position after spending that amount of money
- Pretty much all through Sep/Oct 2002 when we lost 5 out of 6 league games and Rotherham knocked us out of the League Cup
- Christmas/New Year 02/03, 2 points from 5 games (pre-Newcastle in the cup, definitely gone if we got stuffed there)
- Sep 2003 after losing 0-5 to Chelsea, 6 games in and we'd scored 1 goal
- March/April 2004, basically relegated after a mini-run of P4 W0 D0 L4 F3 A14 and failing to beat any of Pompey/Leicester/Leeds before that
- Aug/Sep 2004, opening the Championship season with 0 wins in 7 games
- Sep/Oct 2004, take your pick of Cardiff at home or Forest away, by this time he'd managed to fall out with all of Oakes, Ince, Miller and Naylor
- The eventual dénouement in Nov 2004, after losing 0-1 at Gillingham who had 10 men for 80 minutes

At least 9. He wasn't even here for 4 years!

The only Wolves manager who left as the clubs decision I was disappointed about was Little, although only officially a caretaker he was presumed to be permanent. We replaced him with Turner though so all worked out. There were others like Greaves and Hawkins who were told to put out a burning building with a water pistol, but I got the change.

I was sad when we had to let Mick go but it was time. Beyond time really, take sentiment out of it and it was overdue (and cost us).

I tell a lie actually, I wouldn't have sacked Nuno. Definitely not to appoint the total wanker we replaced him with. But there was a very definite argument to say we should have (taking Lage out of it) and there isn't much he's done since to deny that his high water mark has well and truly been and gone.

Last edited:
Dug it out :D

I don't think I've ever gone through as many separate "I'd sack him" moments as I did with DJ :D

- End of 2000/01 when he'd improved absolutely nothing in half a season and was already talking shit.

This. Remember him saying 'it's my responsibility from now on' and basically saying he'd let the players run things. Are you gonna give your salary back then you prick?

I was sad when we had to let Mick go but it was time. Beyond time really, take sentiment out of it and it was overdue (and cost us).

I tell a lie actually, I wouldn't have sacked Nuno. Definitely not to appoint the total wanker we replaced him with. But there was a very definite argument to say we should have (taking Lage out of it) and there isn't much he's done since to say his high water mark has well and truly been and gone.
Yeah, Nuno is a decent shout. I wouldn't have sacked him either so needs adding to my list. I don't think you can divorce his sacking from who replaced him though because the tension between him and Shi is how we got a patsy to replace him.

Ah but I'd have sacked Jackett any number of times in 2015/16, we were awful. Grant Holt. Jérémy Hélan. Four 0-0s in a row at home. Dave Edwards on the left of a rhombus midfield. Indulging Afobe's Dennis Bergkamp fantasy. Paying £3m for Joe Mason. Starting the idea that Matt Doherty can play at LB.

I'd have kept Jackett instead of letting Gestifute install an Italian boy band member.
This, even if we did eventually get Nuno. Lambert as well wasn't too exciting but did enough. Funny that the "ruthless" Fosun made the call to cut him but then we had Lage for how long again? 🙄

Ah but I'd have sacked Jackett any number of times in 2015/16, we were awful. Grant Holt. Jérémy Hélan. Four 0-0s in a row at home. Dave Edwards on the left of a rhombus midfield. Indulging Afobe's Dennis Bergkamp fantasy. Paying £3m for Joe Mason. Starting the idea that Matt Doherty can play at LB.
Was that his Player of the Year season? :ROFLMAO:

Yannick Sagbo as a #10!

A season that made me wonder if the real KJ was on an island with Tupac and 80's Michael Jackson.

I'd have kept Jackett instead of letting Gestifute install an Italian boy band member.
Well that was the first time Lopetegui did his disciple Peter impression, by which time there wasn't really any going back

Our issue hasn’t been getting rid of managers, it’s been who we’ve replaced them with. Invariably out of work managers from the merry go round.

As for Jackett, the succession of 0-0s at home during which he didn’t give any youngsters a go despite saying he would once we were safe meant he could have no complaints.

Our issue hasn’t been getting rid of managers, it’s been who we’ve replaced them with. Invariably out of work managers from the merry go round.

As for Jackett, the succession of 0-0s at home during which he didn’t give any youngsters a go despite saying he would once we were safe meant he could have no complaints.

Brought Le Fondre on for the second half vs Sheff Wed on the final day when we were already winning.

Released him 48 hours later.

The only Wolves manager who left as the clubs decision I was disappointed about was Little, although only officially a caretaker he was presumed to be permanent. We replaced him with Turner though so all worked out. There were others like Greaves and Hawkins who were told to put out a burning building with a water pistol, but I got the change.
Ian Greaves was definitely disappointing. There were definite signs of life there.

Hawkins didn't stand a chance really, and Little was disappointing too. Maybe at a push McGarry 2, but then, rose tints and all that.

The rest? Not so much. Even Barnwell.

Your famous picture; Latter stages of McDons at home, 0-0 are we chasing a winner? Nope, everyone in our own half.

POWER!

Chucking a full back on in games when chasing an equaliser/winner.

Goalie Hokey Cokey with Ikeme and Martinez.

Ian Greaves was definitely disappointing. There were definite signs of life there.

Hawkins didn't stand a chance really, and Little was disappointing too. Maybe at a push McGarry 2, but then, rose tints and all that.

The rest? Not so much. Even Barnwell.
A bit like with Dougan, I can only remember the 80s version of McGarry, so don't have the positive memories to go alongside the brief negative ones. Didn't he walk rather than being pushed in 85, the same with Barnwell?

Back