• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2021 transfer window

I don’t think Fabio will ever be like Raul and expecting him to be is folly as they’re two very different players.

I don’t think Fabio will be ready next season unless he gets regular games at a man’s level rather than youth level or 20 minutes here and there.
I don't think he has to be like Raul. We definitely didn't sign him to be that. he's had over 1000 minutes this season which is pretty substantial for an 18 year old I'd say. You can see the improvement already I think, with a rest and then a full pre-season (which a lot of our players will benefit from), I think he'll be in a position to be a decent back up and play cup games, which I think is fine for him.

I doubt he's going to become faster and pace is one of Raul's best assets.
Which is why I think more and more that a 4231 is the way to go for us. Raul would benefit anyway with more support but Silva needs service from a variety of positions. Two wide players, a number ten and Neves supplying from deep makes us so much more of a threat I think

Loans fundamentally don't work in the vast majority of cases, we won't be doing it anyway.

Lacazette is decent. You can’t argue with his record - 0.5 NPG/90 for a basically a midtable team.

But yes, big wages and definitely isn’t a wide forward (don’t think I’ve seen him play there once). Definitely not the #9 we look to recruit so it’s not got a lot going for it.

He's played wide a few times for Arsenal, when they were trying to find ways to fit him and Aubameyang into the team together but soon found it more productive to shift the latter out wide and keep Lacazette central. Never really quite sure what to make of Lacazette to be honest, at times does some really good stuff inside the penalty area and no doubt has a knack for goal but can easily go through a whole game or more barely doing anything of note. His attitude looks appalling a lot of the time too, not sure it's actually the case, he seems to put a decent shift in most the times I've seen him but just his reactions to things or his facial expressions always make him look like he's absolutely fuming.

Even ignoring wages, squad hierarchy and whatever else, I don't think he's the right sort of player to boost Wolves squad, you want a wide player who could fill in as a centre forward on occasion, I see Lacazette as the opposite and the job he'd do in a wider position is very much a sticking plaster.

He's a penalty box finisher and could work well with Raul, but we'd have to totally change our style to make it work and i think that's probably a stretch too far

Last edited:
I was just looking up at what had happened to Idrissi who we were linked with in the summer. Barely played for Sevlla, went on loan to Ajax in January, and this article seems to suggest they will sell in the summer.

The thing with sending Fabio out on loan to the Championship is it's just as if not more physical than the Premier League so he might knock a few goals in because of his ability but not sure how it helps him or us, as soon as he starts losing headers and getting knocked off the ball he will be out of the team as young loan players are always the easiest to drop when things aren't going well and managers revert back to "leaning on experience" - plus our record of finding good loan situations for our players is very poor. He is better off staying - I think we have seen improvement in him already, seems to have a good attitude too - seen on social media he has been doing physical training on days off which shows both he and the club definitely know where the work is needed.

Loans fundamentally don't work in the vast majority of cases, we won't be doing it anyway.
Harry Kane, David Beckham, Tom Huddlestone, Jota, Reece James and quite a few others all disprove this.

They do work, we just have to find the right club and that we have been speaking about for a while now.

Which is why I think more and more that a 4231 is the way to go for us. Raul would benefit anyway with more support but Silva needs service from a variety of positions. Two wide players, a number ten and Neves supplying from deep makes us so much more of a threat I think
I don't disagree in the change of formation and getting better support but it's about mindset. We could support players better in a 3-4-3 but we don't because of the conservative approach.

Becks played 5 games for PNE. And it was the guts of 30 years ago!

Kane had two ok loans (Orient and Millwall) and two big failures (Norwich and Leicester), they didn't put him on the map.

Hoddle ended up dropping Huddlestone, he played loads of football for Derby before Spurs even signed him.

Jota was only on loan for FFP purposes, we were always signing him.

See me after class.

The thing with sending Fabio out on loan to the Championship is it's just as if not more physical than the Premier League so he might knock a few goals in because of his ability but not sure how it helps him or us, as soon as he starts losing headers and getting knocked off the ball he will be out of the team as young loan players are always the easiest to drop when things aren't going well and managers revert back to "leaning on experience" - plus our record of finding good loan situations for our players is very poor. He is better off staying - I think we have seen improvement in him already, seems to have a good attitude too - seen on social media he has been doing physical training on days off which shows both he and the club definitely know where the work is needed.
That's precisely why I'd want him to go to the Championship.

Not to have lumps kicked out of him but to learn and score goals which he would do in the right team (as I said above).

Becks played 5 games for PNE. And it was the guts of 30 years ago!

Kane had two ok loans (Orient and Millwall) and two big failures (Norwich and Leicester), they didn't put him on the map.

Hoddle ended up dropping Huddlestone, he played loads of football for Derby before Spurs even signed him.

Jota was only on loan for FFP purposes, we were always signing him.

See me after class.
So loans do work is what you're saying?

It's well known they do work of the player is at the right club.

I get you won't change your mind on this.

Not really?

David Beckham didn't have the career he did because he played five Third Division games. As I say, Kane flopped in the two higher profile loans he had. Huddlestone didn't improve when he was with us, he was the same player he was for Derby.

He's a penalty box finisher and could work well with Raul, but we'd have to totally change our style to make it work and i think that's probably a stretch too far
But that seems to be the suggestion to get the best out of (a much lesser) player in Fabio.

Not really?

David Beckham didn't have the career he did because he played five Third Division games. As I say, Kane flopped in the two higher profile loans he had. Huddlestone didn't improve when he was with us, he was the same player he was for Derby.
I think you're wrong on nearly all those.

Kane wouldn't be the player he is now without those loans.

Neither would Mount or James.

You never mentioned Mount :)

Are you saying that David Beckham couldn't possibly have been what he became if he'd never gone to PNE for about a month? Seems fanciful.

But that seems to be the suggestion to get the best out of (a much lesser) player in Fabio.
I'm not sure what the solution is with Fabio, I've expressed my views on him or tbf the signing of him enough times, so no point me doing that again.

To feed a player like Lacazette we'd need to start playing the ball through the middle which we don't really do other than on the counter. It's not something we've ever really done under Nuno even though if played high enough up the pitch we have the players who could do so. It's one of the reasons WJ isn't working, his most notable contribution, the Arsenal penalty, was from a ball like that.

You never mentioned Mount :)

Are you saying that David Beckham couldn't possibly have been what he became if he'd never gone to PNE for about a month? Seems fanciful.
I don't think he would have the mentality of being a top player no. It's a bit of a short sharp shock or sink/swim for younger players when they go out on loan. Beckham wasn't quick and technically would've been OK but not as visionary as he would become and so I could see why Fergie would loan him out.

It happened that Beckham had the talent and it was immediately apparent he was bloody good and recalled. Fergie was the master (Or Brian Kidd/ Steve McLaren) at seeing young players for what they could be.

Edit: I forgot Mount and I don't think he or James would be the players they are without their loans. On a slightly different tack I don't think Belligham becomes as good as he is without playing senior football in the Championship, if he was at a PL club I don't think he gets any minutes last season and probably a handfull this.

Back