• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2021 transfer window

Guedes would make sense if we were looking for a wide player who can play through the middle as well. A few years ago I remember he was very very highly rated but not sure if he's lived up to that, I don't watch much Spanish football any more
Agree with this. He can play wide and through the middle so it makes perfect sense on that front. When we first looked at him he was one of the biggest prospects in world football (and would have cost a lot more than we probably wanted to pay at that point), but as the article says, his value has probably dropped off. He’s still at a good age and with the right manager, I reckon there’s a quality player in there. You’d imagine if he hit the ground running in the PL his value would shoot up immediately.

Makes a lot of sense.

I agree. If we can get a good price it’s a very decent option. (Reply to Jinks rather than TT!)

Remember him being garbage at the World Cup, never seen anything else of him.
File with the other players people get overexcited about because their good on football manager/fifa without actually seeing them play.

He honestly looked woeful that tournament and I watched him closely after seeing him mentioned on here. But it was 3 years ago so obviously he could be better now.

Never use an international tournament as a way of judging a player. So many have had decent tournaments and turn out to be a bit shit. Raul was labelled wank by Wolves fans after his appearance in the Tournament

Don't think i'd be going near Guedes to be honest. He definitely couldn't play upfront in this league and he's one of those players that does something ridiculous and looks quality in a game but then he's awful for 7/8 games.

Agree with this. He can play wide and through the middle so it makes perfect sense on that front. When we first looked at him he was one of the biggest prospects in world football (and would have cost a lot more than we probably wanted to pay at that point), but as the article says, his value has probably dropped off. He’s still at a good age and with the right manager, I reckon there’s a quality player in there. You’d imagine if he hit the ground running in the PL his value would shoot up immediately.

Makes a lot of sense.
Don't think i'd be going near Guedes to be honest. He definitely couldn't play upfront in this league and he's one of those players that does something ridiculous and looks quality in a game but then he's awful for 7/8 games.
this guedes fella sounds a lot like traore tbh.

I’d like us to go for Gabriel Martinelli, but I highly doubt Arsenal would let him go to a rival (unless it was silly money). Not really had a look in this season after his breakthrough season. I know he had an unfortunate injury & was out for a while. Can play wide or through the middle - massive talent.

Martinelli is fantastic. Surely no way Arsenal will sell him unless it was for an insane amount.

I’d like us to go for Gabriel Martinelli, but I highly doubt Arsenal would let him go to a rival (unless it was silly money). Not really had a look in this season after his breakthrough season. I know he had an unfortunate injury, but maybe Arteta doesn’t see him fitting in. Can play wide or through the middle - massive talent.
Huge talent but right now he seems to break as often as Marcal.
Don't think Arsenal will be getting rid anytime soon though

Apologies if it's been debunked or dismissed already but I wonder if we would look at Samuel Chukwueze? I've watched a few Villareal games recently and, aside from his obvious attributes, he seems to make consistently smart and unselfish decisions when he gets towards the box. So much so perhaps he lacks confidence in his finishing? Works hard and is fast. Maybe he's far too expensive? I don't really know.

As an aside, and sorry it's the wrong thread, I remember a poster understandably asking who else plays the 'two defenders in the box' goal kick routine. I'd never seen it played as such an obvious tactic before, not that I watch much, but I've since seen Real Sociedad and Villareal do it persistently in the last week. Little correlation to outcomes FWIW. The former played it in a successful game at Madrid, the latter while managing to lose having lead, squandering plenty of opportunities to put the game away on the break and ultimately inviting a pretty mediocre opposition on to their low block and conceding twice at the death.

Arsenal sort of tried the two defenders in the box goalkeeper clearance routine. It didn’t end well.

Uh. Some kind of Basque / Ex Sociedad manager thing going on with it. Nuno the exception...

I was going to suggest throwing Cutrone into the deal, but it'd probably increase the fee
41 minutes in 5 games now for Valencia, contributing nothing whatsoever. I just feel sorry for the guy now. Should have stayed at Milan and at least enjoyed watching Zlatan.

This is only the second season it's been permitted. Junior football does it all the time
Presumably it's done in junior football because young goalkeepers struggle to get distance and accuracy in goal kicks and it helps develop a more passing game in young players?

I know he's been discussed in several other windows but I'd still take Ake I know he's had some injuries this season but he's behind Dias, Laporte and Stones there, can't see him playing for them much at all.

Back