• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Tetchy Rish! at it again

I read a very good point this morning on the Tory leadership election. If they do it now, they've got 345 options to choose from - but if they wait until they're in the opposition they could be choosing from 100, with some high profile MPs who would naturally be in the running being out of the job

I read a very good point this morning on the Tory leadership election. If they do it now, they've got 345 options to choose from - but if they wait until they're in the opposition they could be choosing from 100, with some high profile MPs who would naturally be in the running being out of the job
Surely they would just tell someone in a safe seat to fall on their sword and parachute in the leader?

You've got to be a sitting MP to be in the leadership conversation though

Simon Clarke received a donation from the family company that let a former PM have a wedding at one of estates and let him squat at one of his properties for a number of months. No link whatsoever to any recent polls or the undermining of the current PM.
  • Name of donor: J C Bamford Excavators Limited
    Address of donor: Lakeside Works, Rocester, Uttoxeter ST14 5JP
    Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: £40,000 to fund the employment of a campaign manager
    Date received: 16 November 2023
    Date accepted: 16 November 2023
    Donor status: company, registration 00561597
    (Registered 20 November 2023)

You've got to be a sitting MP to be in the leadership conversation though
Only by convention since 1902. Technically there is nothing bar that convention to stop a member of the House of Lords being PM as I don’t think the country ever got round to expressly making that unconstitutional as it was thought there would never be a future need. So in theory the leader of the opposition could be a Lord. Surely would never happen but Dishface and Lord Frost like this.

Those that clamour "Bring back National Service" don't even know or understand why it was introduced and then subsequently ditched.
Was it something to do with developments in potato peelers design rendering that skill useless? In fairness, those years at Catterick Garrison have made my Dad a big help when it comes to preparing Christmas dinner.

Looks like the US armed forces will be allowed to position nuclear weapons at Lakenheath.
People saying it puts a target on our head, erm I think that target has been sat there for about 70 years now and regardless if the shit hit the fan we’d all get to experience a real life version of threads.

George Freeman on his resigning from cabinet

“Why did I stand down?

“Because … I was so exhausted, bust and depressed that I was starting to lose the irrepressible spirit of optimism, endeavour, teamwork & progress which are the fundamentals of human achievement.

And because my mortgage rises this month from £800pcm to £2,000, which I simply couldn’t afford to pay on a ministerial salary.

“That’s political economy 2.0.

“We’re in danger of making politics something only Hedge Fund Donors, young spin doctors and failed trade unionists can afford to do.”

The take-home pay on his £118,300 salary would be over £6k a month

what kinda remortgaging is he doing to go from 800 to 2k per month?

Mine went from £800 (1%) to £1250 (5%) last August, so I can imagine this is possible depending on house value and length of mortgage.
Genuinely blood boiling stuff when that empty headed cunt Truss still claims it was the right thing to do. Achieved nothing, cost millions of ordinary people thousands of pounds a year for absolutely no reason.

Genuinely blood boiling stuff when that empty headed cunt Truss still claims it was the right thing to do. Achieved nothing, cost millions of ordinary people thousands of pounds a year for absolutely no reason.
Agreed. There may be a slight silver lining though as many of those affected may never vote Tory again. At the very least it has completely blown apart the myth that the Tories are the most economically responsible party.

Yep. Literally no material benefit to anyone (well actually there will be a select few who benefitted...).

Yet it was always apparently going to be Corbyn who was going to cost us all a fortune..

George Freeman on his resigning from cabinet

The take-home pay on his £118,300 salary would be over £6k a month
He could probably make 3x that elsewhere, if not more. Its a valid point I think - we don't want politics even more infested with inherited wealth. Not say

Agreed. There may be a slight silver lining though as many of those affected may never vote Tory again. At the very least it has completely blown apart the myth that the Tories are the most economically responsible party.
One would have thought that the vast sums wasted during covid would have hammered this message home? However, it turns into the Bill Hicks skit - people vote with their wallets...

Back