• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Tetchy Rish! at it again

One would have thought that the vast sums wasted during covid would have hammered this message home? However, it turns into the Bill Hicks skit - people vote with their wallets...
Like it or not a lot of people like Boris so dressed up what was undoubtedly incompetence as “doing his best in difficult times “.

Agreed. There may be a slight silver lining though as many of those affected may never vote Tory again. At the very least it has completely blown apart the myth that the Tories are the most economically responsible party.
There are Tories I know that don't think they were to blame - work that one out.

It's so bloody tribal, like supporting a football team, they can't do wrong.

There are Tories I know that don't think they were to blame - work that one out.

It's so bloody tribal, like supporting a football team, they can't do wrong.
Which in itself is ridiculous. If Wolves are awful and we have a terrible manager in charge, we'll be the first to notice and point out that we're crap!

apparently, Goves dept for levelling up are "encouraging" all local authorities to increase council tax rates by at least 4.99%.
the tories have cut local authority funding by approaching 50% since 2010. Dept for levelling up want LA's to raise additional income themselves instead of getting it from central government.
Central govt will freeze subsidies to LA's, and use the savings to cut income tax (as part of a pre-election "give away", probably benefitting the richer members of society). Meanwhile, the c tax increase will hit poorer households hardest, and will later result in conservative mps and ministers blaming councils/LAs for the increases.
So much of what we do is a false economy. For example, owing to a lack of resources, we are seeing increases in the numbers of children being taken into care AS A DIRECT RESULT OF AUSTERITY MEASURES. This is having significant adverse effects on a growing number os peoples lives, not just in the short term, because the implications of being a care leaver stay for the majority of your life;
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68112159

Measures to transform the UK’s legal migration system, bolster border security and drive down unsustainable and unfair levels of migration will come into force within weeks, the Home Secretary has announced today.
The measures will crack down on rising migration, help curb the abuse of the Health and Care visa route, where we have seen people come to the UK for care worker jobs that do not exist or are paid significantly less than the required salary for a migrant worker on this route, and ensure British labour is not undercut by overseas workers.

Am I wrong in thinking that such people here on visas wouldn't qualify for any benefits, in which case why would they not be in work and as for for being paid significantly less (definition?) surely the Government should be cracking down of the Companies sponsoring the Visas or the employers? Anyway if anyone has answers as to how we fill vacancies in the care sector then I'm happy to send them off to Jimmy Dimly as I'm sure he and the Government haven't got a clue. More pointless rhetoric to appeal to right wing headbangers.

Hopefully it will be an irrelevance who stands for them in the overwhelming majority of cases...

A bit disappointed with the Fivelive interview with Sunak this morning. Rachel Burden let him bang on about all the money he was giving out regarding the cost of living, mortgage rates falling and the NI cut from January of this year. It would have only taken a question regarding what an average council tax bill was going up by from April or what an average mortgage is now compared to 2 years ago to put him in his box.

Mortgage rates aren't falling, the base rate is still 5.25% just because Natwest (or the like) might have shaved 0.2% off one of their long term fixed rates doesn't mean anyone with a brain would be taking it.

Short term rates are being reduced too. We're remortgaging in April and we were quoted 5.22% before Christmas by Leeds for a 2 year. They've since reduced their rates for that product to 4.6%

Very little to do with Rishi, I'm sure.

Short term rates are being reduced too. We're remortgaging in April and we were quoted 5.22% before Christmas by Leeds for a 2 year. They've since reduced their rates for that product to 4.6%

Very little to do with Rishi, I'm sure.
I'd imagine the base rate will be lower than that within 12 months.

Back