• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Tetchy Rish! at it again

There have been rumblings that he will go to the polls earlier. The change candidate narrative that he has been trying to portray this week won't wash (hopefully wouldn't anyway) the longer he continues to be PM.
Yeah I read the same yesterday with some speculation about May election but I wrote it off as nonsense tbh. The longer he leaves it the more chance of inflation getting down, Labour fucking up, interest rates going down, and 'evidence' that he's doing a good job.

I think they're just a bunch of cowards at the best of times really, and clearly in denial about how unpopular they now are. Despite the rumours I just can't see him announcing an election for the traditional time of May because then he'd be the shortest-serving PM since Douglas-Home (with the exception of Truss lol), and I just can't see him wanting to voluntarily give himself that label of failure (nor give up half a year of power unnecessarily). Plus, as people say, their one hope atm is that more time means structural issues like inflation might subside.

But you still have to give a month's notice, so they're going to factor in both the polling date itself and when the campaigning will happen. They're not going to want to hold the election outside of term time, because then you have a bunch of motivated progressive voters spread more evenly around the country rather than concentrated in urban seats. But then when you hit September it's conference season, and as much as it might seem appropriate to announce it then the traditional wisdom there is you don't want an election soon after the conferences because you often get unpredictable media coverage that can cause big temporary dents in your poll ratings - look how this year's went - just as easily as temporary bumps. Don't want to give the media any more excuses to saturate the airwaves with more bad news, or coverage of an event that makes Labour look like a government-in-waiting (like an American-style pre-election convention does).

So then you start to push into late autumn, and into the winter, and one of the few things everyone agrees about 2019 is that it was absolutely miserable running campaigns in the dark and wet of a British winter, let alone how much it interfered with the December pre-Christmas party season for lots of people.

That said: the latest they can dissolve Parliament is December 17th, for an election on January 25th. I think he'll push it that far, because they'll (probably correctly) gauge that most people aren't going to pay much attention to campaigning prep until the new year, and that way you reduce the amount of campaigning time the opposition parties get. Reducing turnout usually helps right parties too, and it's not like they actually care if a few of their older voters break hips slipping on ice.

So yeah - depressing as it is, if we haven't had an announcement by April (or at least some very solid rumours) I'm pretty sure it's going to mean January 2025.

I still think it will be May which will probably be the optimum time for the Tories to champion their “strengths”

Economic competence - inflation should be down and they can promise tax cuts in the future and “fasting growing economy in the G7”
Small boats - if they haven't got flights to Rwanda, expect a manifesto commitment to leave the ECHR
NHS - not much change on waiting lists but it will be the fault of industrial action/Covid/Flu/Kier Starmer
Debt falling - this is a problem for any government, I don’t think this will be a major feature in any party’s manifesto other than a vague commitment to reduce it.

Going beyond May, none of the above get better without actually doing something about it so there is not much political capital to be gained…and a trouncing at the May local elections won’t help a later General Election.

We can but hope. Labour smashing the SNP last night might change his mind though.
Tory candidate saying his numbers were only so low because of tactical voting against the SNP... They're all fucking deluded

Might be true perhaps. Hopefully tactical voting will be a massive thing in the next election to smash these fuckers to pieces.
Labour vote was up about 24%. Conservative vote was down 11%. Rest of the gain was pretty much from SNP. Interestingly Conservative votes were also lost to reform UK.

The main thing in Scotland is that if an SNP voter is suitably pissed off that they want to change, it is FAR more likely that the change will be to Labour

Last edited:
Two things to note about the pen he's writing with.

A - it still has the lid on
B - it looks the size of a stick of rock in his tiny tiny hands

Spoiler, it’s actually ikea pencil sized (or Argos pen for the oldens)

Who says they are from “Leeds Bradford” It’s either one or the other mate.

Back