• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Tetchy Rish! at it again

Nah its not about that at all, it's Michael fucking Fabricant. As dyed in the wool Tory as they come, a charlatan, a sycophant, and an obscenely ridiculous character. I'd say the same if he was ploughing his junk into Trott or Cates.

Got to admit I have been pleasantly surprised by Street as mayor, given he's a tory. I didn't expect him to be as visible, or as vocal as he has been.

Street is an odd one. As pointed out seems a level headed and, dare I say it, a good Tory.

Yet Fabricunt is part of his life and is a good friend with Mr Pincher.

It's like he realises he needs something so people can say " yeah he is 100% a Tory"

All main parties debating how much extra money we must spend on bombs and assorted death machines, whilst also agreeing that there is no magic money tree to fix our crumbling public services.

Gove has spent 5 years saying this was his flagship, and as recently as february stated it would be law before the next government comes in. Now it appears it is at best, an aspiration;
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68885243
I can't work out if they have given up, or are trolling.

On the basis that Angela Rayner mentioned it in her first question at PMQ's today, I'd imagine that ending no fault evictions would be a high on the agenda of a Labour Government.
She may have, but when push comes to shove I can't see it happening.

On the basis that Angela Rayner mentioned it in her first question at PMQ's today, I'd imagine that ending no fault evictions would be a high on the agenda of a Labour Government.

We’re already seeing the manifestation of the fear of the removal. Gove is realising it’s ridiculous to remove it without a balanced alternative and AR is heading down a blind alley if she does the same despite the good PR and intentions.

The surge in rental prices is already abundantly clear for everyone to see created by short supply as landlords offload properties by the bucketload. Basic yields are very high (approaching 10% and rising rapidly) yet even cash investors are unwilling to entertain such returns never mind capitalising on discounted properties, when control is relinquished and you’re potentially facing a nightmare scenario.

With interest rates so high it’s not even as though potential owner-occupiers can capitalise and get on the housing ladder either. Not suggesting something didn’t need to be done and the desire to shift properties from assets to homes is very admirable, but this was all very predictable unfortunately.

There are other factors such as tax changes and impending 2025 legislation, but the S21 removal without a workable alternative is nonsense in the extreme and destabilising in a way that is negatively affecting everybody.

I was commenting on the post previously mentioning that Labour wouldn’t do it. It would be wrong if they complain about the Conservatives not carrying through with a manifesto pledge and not having a plan themselves.
I’m not as well versed as you @EpsomWolf on this subject however surely something needs to be done to stop families who have done no wrong being turfed out onto the street with a couple of months notice. I can understand that amateur landlords want to minimise losses that rising interstate rates could cause however all investments have risks attached. Maybe a change to the S21 rules so that 6 months notice is given whilst the changes are properly thought through would a short term compromise? A bloke I work with was chucked out a couple of months ago and the situation with rising rents and shortage of availability meant he was left in an awful situation. He was fortunate that an old school friend saw a post of his asking if anyone knew of anything coming onto the market and he got lucky but it still meant moving to another part of town, away from schools etc. I dread to think of what has happened to others in similar circumstances.

S21 was abused dreadfully and needed addressing. I’m not sure anyone other than the most callous of landlords would’ve thought maintaining the status quo was a good thing.

I’m seeing both sides, the appalling situation your colleague found himself in and the less sympathetic but no less shocking situations landlords find themselves in too. It’s just such a poorly thought out policy which is evidently making things worse. There has to be some means of no fault eviction to allow the rental market to function properly, whereby landlords can relinquish their asset if they need to for what should be a specific set of reasonable pre-determined reasons.

I think there certainly needs to be a minimum of 6 months notice and there are a few other very simple adjustments which could be made, protecting landlords whilst eliminating the vulnerability and exploitation tenants are exposed to also.

I’m all for change but it’s very frustrating this is being handled so badly with the obvious consequences now playing out. Looks like the politicians are going to miss the healthy middle ground again but I guess that shouldn’t be a surprise by now.

I'd have gone with Grant Shapps but each to their own.

Back