• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Tetchy Rish! at it again

Yess, get the fuck in, ever since the years of having to suffer Thatcherism there nothing more I’ve enjoyed than watching the blue rosettes, blue rinses, blue veined noses, squirm.

If you're on the left, the results are very heartening indeed.

- The Tories got smashed, and will lose the next election

- But this is nothing like 1997.

Labour had a 17 point lead over the Tories in the local elections before the 1997 general election.

This time, they have a 9 point lead.

Labour wasn't losing seats to parties to their left in the pre-1997 local election.

This time, Labour have haemorrhaged support to the Greens and independents.

What that underlines is a massive rejection of the Tories, but none of the enthusiasm for an opposition party set for a landslide victory of the sort on the cards for Labour.

It shows that already key parts of Labour's electoral coalition - younger people, Muslims and other minority Brits - are angry about Keir Starmer's leadership.

That's before he's even prime minister and actually enacting policies which anger people - like continued austerity, or complicity in war crimes, for example.

There is already a constituency of people in Britain who are actively rejecting Starmerism from the left.

That will only grow when Labour is in power. So the task of the left is to build on this base - and then build from there when Labour is in office.

I agree with all but the last 2 paragraphs, I'd imagine most people on here would too?

I agree that it's the case, but I disagree with the people that make it so. Ultimately in modern politics, centrist is as far left as electable can be. Maybe, maybe, there can be that combination of grass roots pressure and parliamentary confidence that Labour will inch further left and do things like a genuine wealth tax on the super rich and make corporations pay a fairer share, inch towards UBI etc, but we've got to be realistic. If in the first term they can achieve their housing targets, with a good chunk being sub £300k, and some work towards closing the gap in public spending gap. There wasn't a massive policy shift in 97, and that was with a much better economy. We need to be realistic in the expectation of the first term.

All of it, how’s that.
Lazy?

Do you think there is a wave of enthusiasm similar now for Starmer and Labour, similar to what there was for Blair in 97?

You disagree that the Muslim and younger support is falling?

Nah, just someone who’ll be happy to see a Labour Government and not spend sleepless nights worrying about why it shouldn’t be so.

Ultimately I understand why Starmer is being so beige, he doesn't need to be radical to win this election.

I just hope that how he is on things like Palestine and Austerity he isn't the same when in power.

I’m sure Laura will ask her about that in a bit while they console each other.

I also note Rishi says this weekend shows that Labour doesn’t have a plan.

Deluded cunt

The nasty Tory witch is currently on the BBC, she's interviewing Braverman

Back