• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Advice Thread

It depends what part you are looking at.

1809 war against Austria is covered in immense detail across 3 volumes in John Gills Thunder on the Danube.

Waterloo is covered very well in one volume by Bernard Cornwell. I also owned a massive book called the Waterloo Companion which had the most comprehensive maps and orders of battle I have seen. There is a sister book on trafalgar that is supposed to be of equally high quality.

Peninsular War was covered in many MANY volumes by Brigadier Sir Charles Oman over 100 years ago but they are hard to find. You could try the Peninsular War battlefield guide by Andrew Rowson.

There are loads of individual battle guides. I would recommend putting the battle name into Amazon and seeing what it barfs out.

Battles that are worth reading - Valmy, Wagram, Borodino, Austerlitz, Ligny, Quatre Bras, Waterloo Marengo Talavera Leipzig and loads loads more

It depends what part you are looking at.

1809 war against Austria is covered in immense detail across 3 volumes in John Gills Thunder on the Danube.

Waterloo is covered very well in one volume by Bernard Cornwell. I also owned a massive book called the Waterloo Companion which had the most comprehensive maps and orders of battle I have seen. There is a sister book on trafalgar that is supposed to be of equally high quality.

Peninsular War was covered in many MANY volumes by Brigadier Sir Charles Oman over 100 years ago but they are hard to find. You could try the Peninsular War battlefield guide by Andrew Rowson.

There are loads of individual battle guides. I would recommend putting the battle name into Amazon and seeing what it barfs out.

Battles that are worth reading - Valmy, Wagram, Borodino, Austerlitz, Ligny, Quatre Bras, Waterloo Marengo Talavera Leipzig and loads loads more

Thanks, will try looking for the individual battles and see what i come up with.

Austerlitz is a) interesting b) a Napoleon victory and c) in public awareness as it features in the latest film.

I would start with that one

I haven’t seen the film yet so no idea about the battle portrayal other than a clip with troops falling through the frozen lake suggests it is in there.

I would definitely check out the battle of Marengo. One of Napoleons great victories and the source of the dish chicken Marengo and he asked his chef to create a dish to celebrate the victory that night and thus the dish was born.

Borodino is a truly massive battle and was quite well dealt with in War and Peace.

Bit of a self indulgent post this, and absolutely no idea if it's the right thread to post it in (I'm sure I'll be pointed in the right direction if not!) - so apologies in advance.

After 14 years working in recruitment, when I got back from holiday towards the end of last year, I decided that I'd had enough and left my role for a new challenge.

After a couple of months away from work where I got to spend some time with the kids, hosted the annual memorial quiz in memory of my dad to raise more money towards pancreatic cancer research - and multiple interviews, I'm delighted to say I started a new role at the beginning of the year at Travelodge Hotels head office, where I'm part of a small team tasked with bringing in new business accounts.

So on that front, I wondered if anyone who posts on this board either owns a company, or works for a company that has business hotel requirements? Could be for a day here & there for one person, or could be for a whole team of staff who need to regularly work away from home.

Happy to discuss anything as I try to get up and running in the new role. Any recommendations or suggestions would be hugely appreciated. Pop me a message on here if so!

Thanks - and that's the first & last time I'll mention it on here 😂

Well done on the new job and direction Jinky

Tell your bosses that they can't spell, unless it's supposed to be Trave Lodge or Travel Odge :D

Mrs DW's firm has people using hotels regularly, I'll have a word with her (ironically enough...when she gets back from a trip to London)

Nice one Jinks. Always a big thing to move jobs but after 14 years in that sector presume it is all a bit strange. Fair play to you in having the balls to make that jump.

Can't help business wise as our company uses a Corporate Travel Company to do all our bookings on hotels, so we get access to all the hotels in the area we are visiting.

Same as Kenny sorry, we use a corporate travel company (Agiito) for all travel and hotel bookings. Good luck though.

Well done on the change of direction. Very brave and took some courage.
I'd say Google might be your friend to start this off. Industry sectors using hotels etc.
I know a few lorry drivers who have to travel (in and out) to leave or reclaim vehicles etc.
When I was a trainer, Accenture used to fly me out to London and Bristol regularly, leaving me to choose my flights and hotels...
I don't know... try it from both ends. Training companies and big multi nationals, Accenture must use hundreds of hotels for instance.
Good luck Jinky.

Back