• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Blame Game

Difference with prem and champ... They will hurt you if you give the ball away cheaply....

Having said all that we have to cut out the sloppy mistakes at both ends of the pitch...

Difference with prem and champ... They will hurt you if you give the ball away cheaply....

Having said all that we have to cut out the sloppy mistakes at both ends of the pitch...

Piece of pi55 then dont know why Nuno hadn't thought of that :icon_biggrin:

Our biggest issue has been surrendering possession too easily and then being countered on, it hasn’t been CM where that problem has arisen. It’s been the front 3 and the WBs losing the ball too easily

If you're going to have this thread then you need to be fair to the defenders and have a list of chances missed, crosses fucked up and mistakes the forwards have made as well. So are you going to mark Moutinho down for only hitting the bar?

If you're going to have this thread then you need to be fair to the defenders and have a list of chances missed, crosses fucked up and mistakes the forwards have made as well. So are you going to mark Moutinho down for only hitting the bar?

I guess in the same way as you'd blame a 'keeper for conceding a 30yd thunderbastard into the top corner.

It would be a fair point to criticise players for missing open goals (hi Matt) but in our two games I can only think of one clear cut opportunity we should have scored from.

I'd agree with DW's assessment of all the goals conceded so far, apart from Leicester's second. I'm appearing for Patricio's defence on that one. I think he had the initial shot covered, but the deflection was the killer, taking it just wide of the post and then in. If Coady had got to Maddison quicker and/or not turned his back, then the Patricio debate would be null and void; we wouldn't have conceded the goal.

I would give Jonny a share of the blame for Everton's first. It's his poor pass that lost us possession. Stupid and completely unnecessary foul by Doherty but it was that pass which put us in danger.

I see no problem with this thread as constructive is the key word with criticism. I do agree with noting good contributions too though. The Bennett tackle v Everton was superb for example. Could do a bit of a good bad and ugly for each player.

I guess in the same way as you'd blame a 'keeper for conceding a 30yd thunderbastard into the top corner.

It would be a fair point to criticise players for missing open goals (hi Matt) but in our two games I can only think of one clear cut opportunity we should have scored from.

Maybe harsh, but Jiminez against Everton in the 1v1?

I see no problem with this thread as constructive is the key word with criticism. I do agree with noting good contributions too though. The Bennett tackle v Everton was superb for example. Could do a bit of a good bad and ugly for each player.

Maybe harsh, but Jiminez against Everton in the 1v1?

That was a good save though - could he have put a bit further away from Pickford, possibly but it all happens very quickly

I think that to blame Boly for the 1st Everton goal, is wrong.

I said in the verdict thread that at the free kick Keane ran from the edge of the area and jumped at Boly, causing him to jump backwards and allowing the ball to fall between him and Keane who affected the fall of the ball, possibly with his arm, into Richarlison's path for him to score.

I have an HD copy of the match and have watched this over and over again and have come to these conclusions,

1. It was a superb free-kick from Baines
2. Bennett lost the flight of the ball and allowed it to go over his head
3. Keane caused all the problems for our defensive line by running and jumping at them while both our CMs stood and watched from the edge of the area (Its fair to say that this was corrected in all subsequent free kicks)
4. Boly ended up trying to defend against 2 attackers
5. Everton were really lucky that the ball dropped perfectly for Richarlison to score.

Agreed. Nothing wrong with open and fair criticism, isn't that what football fans do most of the time anyway? Didn't Bennett get criticised for Bolton's consolation? Pretty sure he did, only that didn't matter because we scored five...

I'm split on the Rui debate though and I'd probably end up siding with him, the ball did bend a hell of lot after it hit Coady. Initially I wondered what the $#@! Rui was doing when it went in, even after the first couple of replays as the deflection didn't look to change the flight of the ball that much, but one angle did highlight how far it moved after the deflection.

Was he at the right height? Looks like it.

attachment.php

Could he have reacted quicker? Possibly.

Did he have the initial shot covered? All day long.

The deflection was that slight it must have been hard to spot and react quickly enough. I'd absolve him on this one.

Goalkeepers perspective? He should be a little further off his line. He is in a very central position. His first micro movement is to put some weight on his right foot. when the deflection comes he has no spring in his left foot to get across. I think he should do better given his pedigree. Courtois saves that. Schmiecal saves that. De Gea saves that. Lloris saves that. Rui is purported to be in that bracket. Its justified to give him a small nudge on this one. Made a gif to illustrate

rR1Qr2.gif

Watching that over and over I’m more inclined to agree with Deutsch that he should probably save it.

Watch his body as the shot is taken...his weight is pushed down 1 side ready for the shot across him, the deflection fucks him over. You are too busy looking at where he is AFTER the deflection. If Maddison's shot is going where it actually ends up then he deserves to be questioned on it but it doesn't as he is going across Patricio not down his left side. Any keeper will know it is hard to suddenly shift body weight from one side to the other and then to do that and react to a deflection even harder. I would doubt any of the above keepers would have saved that. If he doesn't set him self up for the shot he is expecting, he wouldn't have saved that one if it didn't get deflected. He has around 0.5 seconds to see the deflection, react and then move his body weight to enable him to properly dive to his left. Never going to happen.

Bigger deflection than I thought it was & appears to clip the post which won't have helped either though given that Maddison was out to his left then maybe he was too central in the goal to react quickly enough

Still very small margins of error & not what I would call a complete 'feck up'.

Watching that over and over I’m more inclined to agree with Deutsch that he should probably save it.

I think if he'd saved that it would have been a worldy. He was central because of the other Leics. attacker.

I'd guess Rui expects it to go to his right,maybe top corner,then all of a sudden it's to his left,he gets there but just a shade too late

Before the deflection that shot was going across Rui to the opposite side of the goal, no blame on him whatsoever.

I’m fed up with over analysing it now, I’m agreeing with Deutsch and Kenny.

Back