• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Blame Game

Deutsch Wolf

aka Dawn
Reaction score
Every single goal against this season counts. It's not like last season. Oh, Bolton have scored after we fucked up, we'll just go and bang in another three. With a John Ruddy assist for good measure.

No, we need to avoid pointless goals. I suppose every goal is avoidable to some point, but I think we've conceded four bad goals so far. So I'm going to try to track who is at fault for every one we concede.

Everton 1st: Doherty (stupid FK to give away)/Boly (rubbish header)

Everton 2nd: Neves/Doherty/Bennett/Coady (in that order, such a bad goal)

Leicester 1st: Jota (giving it away cheaply)/Jonny (don't stand five yards off Albrighton)/Doherty (fucking moron)

Leicester 2nd: Jota (giving it away cheaply)/Coady (not out quick enough and turned his back on the shot)/Patricio (I think he probably should do better, others disagree)

Man City: Boly (not dealing with set piece into box)

Man Utd: No blame apportioned

Watford 1st: Patricio (Straight shot from 30 yards, no deflection, not in the corner)

Watford 2nd: Moutinho (Careless loss of possession from our own kick off)/Bennett (totally outdone by Pereyra's run)

Brighton: Doherty/Coady/Bennett (Combination of not picking up on a throw and not tracking Murray)/Traore (half asleep and allows Bruno to get ahead of him)

Tottenham 1st: Boly/Jonny (totally losing Lamela's run on a simple one two)/Patricio (right through his legs)

Tottenham 2nd: Jonny (not stopping the cross)/Bennett/Doherty (neither picking up Moura)/Patricio (not coming for a floated cross)

Tottenham 3rd: Boly (going for a header and vacating his area completely)/Bennett (no reaction to the rebound and Kane taps in)

Arsenal: Moutinho (switched off as they took a quick corner resulting in far too much room for Mkhitaryan)

Huddersfield 1st: Doherty (terrible pass and then failing to track run)/Neves (poor tracking on Mooy)

Huddersfield 2nd: Boly (needless free kick)/Neves (turned his back in the wall)/Patricio (shouldn't be beaten in that manner)

Cardiff 1st: Patricio (weak, indecisive, poor decision making, take your pick)

Cardiff 2nd: No blame attached

Chelsea: Coady (not enough on his header and bullets it in)

Newcastle: Coady (beaten too easily by Perez in the air)

Liverpool 1st: Neves (not tracking Fabinho's run)

Liverpool 2nd: Saiss (poor clearance) / Bennett (allowed the ball to go through to van Dijk)

Fulham: Saiss (soft free kick)/ Doherty (failed to deal with Mawson at the back post)/ Jimenez (jumped into his own goalkeeper)

Tottenham: Cavaleiro (cheap loss of possession)

Palace 1st: Coady (too slow to get out, leaving Ayew in a position where he was marginally offside rather than miles offside)

Palace 2nd: Bennett (penalty conceded)

Man City 1st: Doherty (lack of awareness and poor body shape, easy run in behind for one of the world's best wide players)

Man City 2nd: Bennett (penalty conceded, no need to make the challenge)

Man City 3rd: Traore (no attempt to close down, not even a token effort) / Saiss (should do more with a header there having won it)

Leicester 1st: Vinagre (very poor cross losing possession)/ Bennett (missed header in the middle of the park)/ Saiss (bad backing off and then dived in to no avail)

Leicester 2nd: Jonny (loose touch inside his own area)

Leicester 3rd: Jonny (wild foul conceding free kick)/ Dendoncker/Doherty (failed to deal with Morgan at the back post)

Everton: Boly (too tight to Tosun and allowed him to half turn and play a ball into an onrushing Gomes)

Newcastle: Patricio (terrible kick in the first place then been made to look a mug at his near stick due to guessing) / Boly (completely beaten by a standard run from Hayden into the channel)

Bournemouth: No blame attached (not marking Moutinho down for someone taking a swan dive in his vague vicinity)

Huddersfield: Neves (careless loss of possession) / Jonny (beaten too easily by Mooy)

Chelsea: Neves (slight misjudgement in closing down one of the world's greatest players, sadly it cost us)

Burnley 1st: Coady (switched off and lost Wood) / Patricio (caught in no man's land, neither one thing nor the other)

Burnley 2nd: Saiss (backed off to zero effect, didn't block off either side or shepherd McNeil away from goal)

Man Utd: No blame attached

Southampton 1st: Saiss (zero awareness of where Redmond is and slack in getting to the ball)

Southampton 2nd: Saiss/Coady/Boly/Doherty/Jonny (they can all have one against here, just a total mess defensively and they're all culpable in some way)

Southampton 3rd: Traore (schoolboy lack of pushing out off a set piece, pathetic)

Arsenal: Neves (looks like it's him who loses Sokratis)

Watford: Bennett (just no excuses. It happens, but that was bloody dire)

Liverpool 1st: Jonny (didn't go with TAA's run)

Liverpool 2nd: No blame attached (not blaming anyone when it was offside)

Running total of mentions:

Doherty 10
Bennett 9
Patricio 8
Boly 8
Coady 8
Jonny 8
Saiss 7
Neves 7
Traore 3
Jota 2
Moutinho 2
Cavaleiro 1
Jimenez 1
Dendoncker 1
Vinagre 1

Last edited:
Patricio has zero chance once that gets deflected. His starting position is fine for the shot coming in but the deflection puts him a couple of inches out and that turned out to be crucial.

Didn't go in at any pace, wasn't anywhere near the corner, didn't look like he was planted (it wasn't going far to his right anyway, if anything it was going down the middle). I think he'll be disappointed with it.

He will be disapointed with all 4 goals...still not his fault mind.

Just watched it again. Maddisons shot is going to hit the goal probably just off centre, making it a simple falling save. The deflection actually curls the ball the other side. Patricio is set for the save and sees the deflection just as the ball swerves back in on goal. He needed another step across before diving to reach it, no time to do that though.

Move your feet quicker then.

I think when you have a basic, decent, borderline PL quality keeper in John Ruddy, you accept that going in. When you're paying 73 cap, European Championship winning Rui Patricio £80k a week, you expect a bit more. John Ruddy saves most things he "should". To not get anywhere near isn't very good.

Are we going to have this low rent Nev vs Carra thing every time I criticise him? :D

(You're Carra by the way)

I will criticise him when he is at fault or partial fault (Just like I blamed Boly for his shit header v Everton....hope he forgives me). Unless he has the ability to freeze time he ain't getting that once the deflection happens.

9lbx2SO.jpg

Doesn't look that unsaveable to me. Look how far it is inside the post!

Edit: In fact he's made the ground, he's dived too high.

A freeze frame proves nowt. His starting position and initial set up for a shot going t'other way don't get shown there. He needed another step before diving but if he did that he would dived at about the same time the ball hit the back of the net.

#keepersunion

I blame the extra 1 on his back affecting his balance.

I'm leaving him on the OP, you're way too biased.

The above few posts are just a hint of the black hole this thread is going to descend in to over the next few months.

Not biased on this one...

#keeperswhowear11union

The above few posts are just a hint of the black hole this thread is going to descend in to over the next few months.

I'll only accept reasonable criticism. Like for instance, Jonny's crossfield ball for Everton's first was shit, but no way are you saying that's how we conceded.

Kenny just doesn't like me having a go at keepers. It's ok, I've had the same nonsense off him for 13 years and counting.

I think Patricio definitely has a chance of saving it, agree that he will be a bit disappointed with the goal.

I'm happy to have a go at keepers but not on this one.

I'm happy to have a go at keepers but not on this one.

I'm not having a go as such. I'm saying I would hope if we've made a massive upgrade on J-Rud, they might make that save. That's what we're paying silly money for surely, the saves that make you think "WTF". As you can see, he did actually make the ground. But executed it badly.

I do like it when we disagree though, it's a good dynamic.

This feels like a very mol mix thread

Analysis of goals conceded?

We have some very sharp minds on here, Louie, Johnny and Slink work or have worked in football, it's not a witchhunt, it's working out where we're going wrong.

02f163d16ff905694b57043ca22498be.png

If you’re going to try use a freeze frame in your criticism at least try and use an accurate one!

The ball swerves from outside the post. At the point it passes him it is a ft inside the post. It’s a shot hit reasonably well which has changed direction at what, 16 yards. I’m not having that on the keeper at all.

Back