• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Definitive TWF Present Day XI - CM VOTING NOW OPEN

Deutsch Wolf

aka Dawn
Reaction score
Following on from the successful World XI and UK/Ireland XI threads, we're moving on to the current best in the world.

The voting system is as follows; when we're picking for a position that only has one candidate (you only ever have one keeper, one right back etc), you get three picks to put in order - first choice gets three points, second choice two, third choice one. Once the voting for each position is done, I'll tot up all the points and the winner comes out in our own form of democracy. For centre halves, you get six picks as there'll be two of them. Same system, six points for pick one down to one point for pick six. Any newcomers, just have a look at the other threads if you're not sure. It's pretty self-explanatory.

We're going to go with a 4-2-3-1 formation on this one. So the order will be GK, RB, LB, CH (x2), CM (x2), WF (x2), #10, CF, Manager. The only stipulation is that whoever you pick must be an active player/manager at the end of 2016/17 and not have already announced their retirement (so tough luck, no Lahm or Alonso just to pick two). Realistically, you should be picking them on how good they are now, so Andrea Pirlo may be an eternal football genius, but he's playing in a joke league in a baseball stadium as of June 2017 for a good reason. As ever, only pick players where they genuinely play, and let's see if we can get through without someone trying to be hilarious and picking Doherty, Coady, Ebanks-Landell etc...seriously, it's about as funny as a Miranda boxset.

Keeper voting is open now and will close at around 6pm tomorrow.

Team:

-----------------------Manuel Neuer------------------------------

Dani Alves------Sergio Ramos-------Leo Bonucci----------Marcelo

------------------CM----------------CM---------------------------

-------WF----------------#10--------------------WF----------

---------------------------ST----------------------------------

Manager:

Last edited:
Manuel Neuer
Jan Oblak
David de Gea

David De Gea
Jan Oblak
Manuel Neuer

Gianluigi Buffon
Manuel Neuer
Hugo Lloris

Neuer
DDG
Lloris

I wonder how good this one will be Vs the World XI. Messi and Ronny presumably will be in and around so could be close

Always with the jabs at MLS...

Manuel Neuer
Vincent Enyeama
Hugo Lloris

Always with the jabs at MLS...

Justified jabs. I watched the NYCFC game on Saturday. Still elements of play that are L1 standard, elements that are Conference standard. Just rubbish football.

Enyeama FFS :icon_lol: Never change, Alan, please.

Justified jabs. I watched the NYCFC game on Saturday. Still elements of play that are L1 standard, elements that are Conference standard. Just rubbish football.

Enyeama FFS :icon_lol: Never change, Alan, please.

Hey, you can't fault the Enyeama pick that much. He's outstanding.

Conference standard!? Harsh, my good man.

Whoever the Philadelphia Union keeper is looked good. That's about as nice as I can be :D

Whoever the Philadelphia Union keeper is looked good. That's about as nice as I can be :D

Andre Blake. He's quality. Same for NYCFC's keeper, Sean Johnson.

Philly is a pretty awful team overall, though. Not surprised you weren't impressed with a match that involved them.

Anyway...

I wonder how good this one will be Vs the World XI. Messi and Ronny presumably will be in and around so could be close

I suspect centre halves will trip this one up in comparison. There's no-one around that compares to the Baresi/Cannavaro combo that won out. Maybe not even the Puyol/Rio second choice. At least not to my mind. We'll see though.

Manuel Neuer
David de Gea
Gianluigi Buffon

Big fan of Lloris and it was a scrap between him and Buffon for 3rd place, but Gianluigi is an absolute legend and played in the Champions League final this past season. For him to still be at the top of the game after all these years is quite remarkable. Neuer + DDG are for me the best keepers in the world by some distance, though.

Courtois hasn't done enough for me to warrant a place in the top 3. He'd have been my 5th pick.

De Gea (Feel free to dig up the post whereby I stated that United should bin him in his first season at the club)
Neuer
Buffon

Back