• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Definitive TWF UK & Ireland XI (1970 - present) - ST VOTING OPEN

Agreed. Charlie Nicholas is much worse.

Each to their own. I won't listen any more, so he may well have improved a bit. To me he is very up himself. Big headed might not be the best choice of words.

I thought that we'd all agreed to cut out the joke Wolves selections?

Was struggling at the end to be honest, doesn't really make much difference anyway as it wasn't going to be someone who's been used heavily by others.

Was struggling at the end to be honest, doesn't really make much difference anyway as it wasn't going to be someone who's been used heavily by others.

How can you struggle to name 6 x decent forwards from the last 40 years?

Steven Fletcher FFS :icon_lol:

That's right up there with Eric Dier in central midfield.

How can you struggle to name 6 x decent forwards from the last 40 years?

Steven Fletcher FFS :icon_lol:

That's right up there with Eric Dier in central midfield.

Well I'm only 29 so you can cut the 40 years in half straight away.

I've found it quite surprising doing some of these just how little memory I have of some players, even big names like Sheringham or Keane I can't really remember anything of which is why I haven't included a lot of players that others have.

Alan Shearer - 156
Wayne Rooney - 70

Michael Owen - 64
Ian Rush - 61
Gary Lineker - 51
Robbie Keane - 35
Robbie Fowler - 34
Harry Kane - 25
Kenny Dalglish - 24
Teddy Sheringham - 20
Kevin Keegan - 11
Mark Hughes - 8
Matt Le Tissier - 5
Denis Law - 4
Ian Wright - 4
Stan Collymore - 2
Jermain Defoe - 2
Peter Beardsley - 1
Steven Fletcher (lol) - 1

That concludes the XI for this team, so I have three questions outstanding for you:

1) I need a manager for this team - must be from the UK/Ireland, within the specified timeframe - three picks as normal
2) Ditto for the World XI, outside the UK/Ireland, 1986-present as per that thread
3) Three options for what's up next once those managers are sorted tomorrow:

a) Call it a day
b) Go with a Wolves XI (which I'll put in the Wolves forum)
c) A present day XI, qualification being must have been an active player at the end of 2016/17

UK/Ire manager:

Alex Ferguson
Bobby Robson
Martin O'Neill

World XI manager:

Jose Mourinho
Carlo Ancelotti
Ottmar Hitzfeld

I'll abstain on the other question as it's up to you lot.

Sir Alex, obvs.

I'll add Sir Bobby Robson and Brian Clough to make it 3.

And option b), defo.

That concludes the XI for this team, so I have three questions outstanding for you:

1) I need a manager for this team - must be from the UK/Ireland, within the specified timeframe - three picks as normal
2) Ditto for the World XI, outside the UK/Ireland, 1986-present as per that thread
3) Three options for what's up next once those managers are sorted tomorrow:

a) Call it a day
b) Go with a Wolves XI (which I'll put in the Wolves forum)
c) A present day XI, qualification being must have been an active player at the end of 2016/17

1) Sir Alex Ferguson
Brian Clough
Sir Bobby Robson

2) Johan Cruyff
Pep Guardiola
Jose Mourinho

3) B + C :)

Fergie
Clough
Graham

Sacchi
Ancelotti
Mourinho

C - The age demographic of the forum means b would be too heavily sku'd to the last 20 years as the British one has - unless of course that becomes the field of reference.

C - The age demographic of the forum means b would be too heavily sku'd to the last 20 years as the British one has.

Maybe, although you underestimate how much the oldies think we were world beaters in the 70s (despite winning virtually nothing, and virtually none of the players having any kind of international career) ;) Mike Bailey got votes in the central midfield category here for instance. One of the best central midfielders that the UK and Ireland have produced in 47 years. Two England caps, neither of them earned when he played for Wolves. Emotive stuff clearly.

Plus we've been shit for most of the last 20 years. 30 years for that matter. I bet you loads of the late 80s team get a mention even though objectively, they obviously weren't that good (Bully aside).

Maybe, although you underestimate how much the oldies think we were world beaters in the 70s (despite winning virtually nothing, and virtually none of the players having any kind of international career) ;) Mike Bailey got votes in the central midfield category here for instance. One of the best central midfielders that the UK and Ireland have produced in 47 years. One England cap. Emotive stuff clearly.

Plus we've been $#@! for most of the last 20 years. 30 years for that matter. I bet you loads of the late 80s team get a mention even though objectively, they obviously weren't that good (Bully aside).
Fair enough, I'm just bitter that Wayne Rooney is seen as a better forward since 1970 than Kenny Dalglish. I didn't vote for anyone I didn't see play, so appreciate why nobody else would....,.but it's just wrong 😃

For the record, the second choice XI here reads:

-------------------------Peter Shilton------------------------------

Lee Dixon----------Paul McGrath-----Tony Adams---------Stuart Pearce

Steve McManaman---Frank Lampard----Paul Gascoigne---Gareth Bale

----------------------Ian Rush-----Michael Owen---------------

I really was surprised Dixon got so many votes. He was part of a great back four but individually he was nothing spectacular at all. In fact I'm sure I remember him getting a heavy slagging in the Taylor days when he made virtually all of his England appearances.

That midfield obviously wouldn't work :icon_lol:

Rush getting at least that far makes sense, I didn't vote for him because I hated Liverpool as a kid. Well I hate them now too, but my view of him as a youngster was tarnished by the legions of plastic Liverpool fans at school. Glad that all worked out for them in the end.

Back