• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Definitive TWF UK & Ireland XI (1970 - present) - ST VOTING OPEN

Uk managers:

Robson
Venables
Ferguson

Have to have a think about the World 11

Clough
Ferguson
Paisley

Carlo Ancelotti
Jose Mourinho
Pep Guardiola

B & C

UK manager

Presuming it has to be post 1970:

Sir Alex Ferguson
Brian Clough
Sir Bobby Robson

World

Lowe
Nielsen
Bosque

Please do a Wolves one, but I think it will have to be split as some of us wrinklies saw players we considered better than today's players.

So, do we think our final team:

-----------------------David Seaman---------------------------------

Gary Neville-------Rio Ferdinand-----John Terry--------Ashley Cole

David Beckham-----Roy Keane-------Paul Scholes------Ryan Giggs

----------------Alan Shearer--------Wayne Rooney-----------------------

Would give our World XI team:

-------------------------Gianluigi Buffon-------------------------

Philipp Lahm------Franco Baresi--------Fabio Cannavaro---------Paolo Maldini

--------------------------Patrick Vieira------------------------------------

-----------------Andres Iniesta---------Zinedine Zidane-------------------------

---Cristiano Ronaldo---------Ronaldo------------------Lionel Messi----------------------

Any kind of game at all?

I'm still gutted that Gazza was beaten by Scholes. Come on, he was a genius!

I presume I have to put Fergie in the UK category rather than the world category? I really want Robson to manage the UK team (you'll notice my Italia '90 bias through most of my selections) but I can't not pick Fergie either!

I presume I have to put Fergie in the UK category rather than the world category? I really want Robson to manage the UK team (you'll notice my Italia '90 bias through most of my selections) but I can't not pick Fergie either!

Scotland is still in the UK last time I checked. Just about anyway.

By the way, we'll do both the Wolves XI and the present day XI if you want. No problem there. It's just which one do you want first.

I'm still gutted that Gazza was beaten by Scholes. Come on, he was a genius!

Not half the genius that George Best was, but he wasn't considered good enough....

Scotland is still in the UK last time I checked. Just about anyway.
I know that! I wanted Fergie as my world no 1 but wasn't sure if the world selection was limited to non-UK candidates seeing as we had a dedicated UK team.

Not like me to over complicate things...

No crossover, your World manager can't be from the UK/Ireland (happily none of the players are so there's no hypocrisy)

UK:
Sir Alex Ferguson
Bobby Robson
Bob Paisley

World:
Jose Mourinho
Arrigo Sacchi
Ottmar Hitzfeld

(Edited: Replaced Michels as most of his impressive achievements were before the time frame, couldn't really include him just for Euro '88)

Last edited:
Alex Ferguson
Brian Clough
Bobby Robson

Joachim Lowe
Jose Mourinho
Ottmar Hitzfeld
Vincente

Brian Clough
Alex Ferguson
Bobby Robson

Rinus Michels
Marcello Lippi
Joachim Löw

Firstly, disgrace that Wayne Rooney made the 11 against some of the other forward options (he wasn't even in my top 6!). And a team without Gazza is no team of mine.

Manager:

Sir Bobby Robson, the gent.
Brian Clough
Fergie

World:

Jose Mourinho
Ottmar Hitzfeld
Pep Guardiola

Fergie
Clough
Robson

Sacchi - just for the quote 'I didn't realise to be a jockey you first had to be a horse' when asked how he could be a good manager if he'd never played the game.
Ancellotti
Cruyff - for what he did turning around Barca and creating a style of play that won a boat load of trophies and Spain the World Cup.

Fergie
Clough
Robson

Mourinho
Pep
J. Low

I would prefer C then B but whatever.

Rooney has been complete and utter shite for a while now, but it is easy to forget that at his very best, he was an exceptional player.

Managers:

Sir Alex Ferguson
Sir Bobby Robson
Genuinely no other credible options for me after those two.

Pep Guardiola
Carlo Ancelotti
Jose Mourinho

Option C on the next one for me.

Back