• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Definitive TWF Wolves XI Thread (2019 version) - 1970 - present

Absolutely.

When Nuno is finished with us (unless someone pays a stunning amount of compensation to take him to a truly TOP job) I can see him being second of all time behind Cullis. Three league titles would be a pretty huge jump. But I guess you never know with Wolves under Fosun.

Absolutely.

When Nuno is finished with us (unless someone pays a stunning amount of compensation to take him to a truly TOP job) I can see him being second of all time behind Cullis. Three league titles would be a pretty huge jump. But I guess you never know with Wolves under Fosun.

Possibly 1 would do it - current era is probably more imbalanced than it was then

Making that jump will be more difficult than it was in that era

I wasn't around obviously, but Cullis made us the second best side in the world behind Real Madrid with Di Stefano and co. That is far too much to ask from Nuno at the moment, it really is.

EDIT - Maybe third best. Barcelona were much better when we met competitively

Its too early to say

Nuno and Fosun have had a fabulous two years. I am hoping for a fabulous 5 or 10

Mick McCarthy did a hell of a job but who can forgive him for spending money on Maierhoffer and Greg Halford.

Nuno is the best manager of my lifetime

Every manager makes shit signings, even he regrets signing Greg. Maierhofer was nothing to do with him, all down to Morgan demanding we had a 6ft 7" striker and we happened to scout him in a game where he played well v Villa.

Mick McCarthy is a managerial midget compared to Nuno.

If we are allowed to start this before the final team is announced then this is my 3: -

Nuno Espirito Santo

Bill McGarry

Mick McCarthy

Barnwell for sure before his car accident, never did seem right afterwards.
Ronnie Allen (did all the groundwork for McGarry's side).
Nuno

Bull 137
Jota 134

Jimenez 109
Keane 74
SEB 50
Richards 50
Fletcher 47
Dougan 15
Miller 8
Dicko 7
Doyle 6
Gray5
Keogh 3
Whittingham 2
Blake 2
Griffiths 1
Mutch 1
Sako1

If it were to be done based on points per mention then Richards would be in ahead of Jota. I did see all the 1980 Cup winning side play, JR was my first Wolves hero, but haven't voted for any as I took the view I was too young to judge and when I was old enough their best Wolves days were behind them

Last edited:
Not that it matters, but I think Nathan Blake got picked twice (by Banjo and Johnny), so should have more than the 1 point.

Bully & Jota... what a pairing that is!

My fault, I gave Johnny's point to Sylvan Ebanks rather than Nathan. Now amended

So, that's...

--------------------------------------Matt Murray--------------------------------------

---------------Joleon Lescott---------Conor Coady--------Willy Boly--------------------

Matt Doherty-----------Alex Rae-------Ruben Neves--------Joao Moutinho-------Jonny

-------------------------Steve Bull--------------------Diogo Jota-------------------------

So that's last year's team, with Murray, Lescott, Rae and Bull dropped in for Patricio, Bennett, Dendoncker and Jimenez.

We went from 2006 to 2015 without a single one of these players in the squad.

So, that's...

--------------------------------------Matt Murray--------------------------------------

---------------Joleon Lescott---------Conor Coady--------Willy Boly--------------------

Matt Doherty-----------Alex Rae-------Ruben Neves--------Joao Moutinho-------Jonny

-------------------------Steve Bull--------------------Diogo Jota-------------------------

So that's last year's team, with Murray, Lescott, Rae and Bull dropped in for Patricio, Bennett, Dendoncker and Jimenez.

Funnily enough, in reality, I think Raul would work better with Bully in a partnership compared to Jota.

That's a top side, though.

So, that's...

Doc was around. Although he may as well have been a completely different player.

My guess is that Richards, Munro and Hibbitt would get in if more of us had seen them.

Thing is, I reckon if that team played the team we'll send out vs Leicester on the first game of the season they'd probably struggle.

Dendoncker and Jiménez are much better quality than Rae and Bull and then you add in the new signings we'll make between now and then...

We on to manager yet?

Nuno
Mick
KJ

Back