• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Fitness Thread

Also agree re: decent shoes. I started running 10 years ago and I didn't get a decent pair for about 6 months. The difference is crazy.

I'd advise getting your gait tested as well, and choose shoes that match the routes you take i.e. road running, trail etc.

I like doing races but the only person I ever compete against is myself - would love to get back to my peak fitness levels of 2017 when I was doing 10k runs in 45-46 mins. I'm miles away from that at the moment.

What do you boys use to record your runs? A watch (garmin)? Strava through your phone?

Or don't bother?

I love analysing all the data that comes out of each run.

on the shoes, I'd say that applies to walking too. Having good quality shoes means you are more likely to enjoy the walk.

A Garmin watch that links to Strava
Same. Love my Garmin.

Totally agree on shoes, for those local there are some proper bargains in the Cannock Saucony outlet…

A Garmin watch that links to Strava
Ditto - I bought myself a forerunner 265 last year. I had the vivoactive 3 before hand.

There are cheaper options and if you're only just starting, I'd suggest something like forerunner 55. If I'm honest there's a few too many "silly stats" on the 265.

Resurrect this thread as I know there are a few runners etc. on here.

Into my second week of C25k and third run last night, probably 8/9 years since I did a half marathon and have barely run since apart from a few rugby games here and there.

Last night was the first run I've actually enjoyed and have clocked up just over 10k moving during the first week. Feels good to be back out albeit much heavier than I was moving last time.

Hoping to get some 10k events booked in for later in the year once I've gotten up to 5k and take it from there.
First park run/completed today, tough course but completed and enjoyed it!

Target time was 42.5mins but managed to complete in 39mins!

Would be much easier if I was about 30kg lighter but that is something to work on!

Would be much easier if I was about 30kg lighter but that is something to work on!

Good effort! I’m now following you on Strava, there’s no escape..

My wife and daughter started doing parkrun at West Park last month. My son wanted to join in last weekend so I went and did it too for the first time. I cycle to work and back so thought I might be in decent shape but my legs were killing me up until about Wednesday this week :ROFLMAO:

I ran with my daughter who needed to switch to walking every so often so at least I had a decent excuse for not running the whole 3 miles. My 9 year old son, however, ran with my wife and didn't stop once so they beat us by about 4 minutes! (My wife is a decent runner though)

I think we'll all be doing it again this weekend and I'll have a time to try and beat this time so may be a bit more determined. I've also got some proper running shoes this time which should help as I ran it last week in a pair of Etnies skate trainers!

My wife and daughter started doing parkrun at West Park last month. My son wanted to join in last weekend so I went and did it too for the first time. I cycle to work and back so thought I might be in decent shape but my legs were killing me up until about Wednesday this week :ROFLMAO:

I ran with my daughter who needed to switch to walking every so often so at least I had a decent excuse for not running the whole 3 miles. My 9 year old son, however, ran with my wife and didn't stop once so they beat us by about 4 minutes! (My wife is a decent runner though)

I think we'll all be doing it again this weekend and I'll have a time to try and beat this time so may be a bit more determined. I've also got some proper running shoes this time which should help as I ran it last week in a pair of Etnies skate trainers!
Those last 3 words might have a big part to play in your aches and pains. 🤣

Those last 3 words might have a big part to play in your aches and pains. 🤣
Oh I know. I didn’t know if it would be a one off last week as it was kind of a last minute decision to take part. I’m a bit more prepared this weekend :)

I did my first Parkrun last weekend. Very pleasing - I finished 22nd out of 184.

Need some trail running shoes though as most of the route was very muddy. I'd have done much better otherwise!
The missus has bought some New Balance trail shoes and loves them.

The Cannock Chase Park Run is good for those who like trail running.

There's also a half & a full marathon over the Chase next month, I wimped out and have gone for just the half.

I did Gloucester Half last weekend, would recommend, was 1st in my age category (that's definitely a sign of getting old! 👴) although I definitely don't like trail running and this wasn't that! Pretty flat and tarmac throughout.

Manchester Marathon a week on Sunday, anyone else on here doing that?

We did West Park last weekend but my wife occasionally goes to Sandwell Valley.
West Park is pretty fast and flat isn't it? Might give it a go at some point. My local is Worcester Pitchcroft, excellent PB course as long as the wind isn't whipping up off the river too much.

I did Gloucester Half last weekend, would recommend, was 1st in my age category (that's definitely a sign of getting old! 👴) although I definitely don't like trail running and this wasn't that! Pretty flat and tarmac throughout.

Manchester Marathon a week on Sunday, anyone else on here doing that?
Yep! Currently bored tapering coupled with worrying about niggles :)

Yep! Currently bored tapering coupled with worrying about niggles :)
Thought you were!

Maranoia is setting in big time, I've convinced myself I've got a problem with my hip.

Taper is a very weird period psychologically, hate it.

Back