• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Fitness Thread

Runners know a lot about the body having undergone years of trial and error, and making all the mistakes that are part of the process. I got my best advice from old timers who had been at it for years. Stretching and strengthening are important, as well as taking it easy when niggles and strains emerge. Advil and backing off a bit have stood to me over the year, but my most persistent problems were fixed with a bit of advice. I ;ve had sciatica for many years (chronic runners issue) but an old cove at the club told me to do sit ups every day to keep the stomach area strong. I never missed a day from it since. Another old card told me to put newspaper under my right arch because I had "flattened out a bit" and had knee pain. I got orthotics later, but only wear them to get over flare ups.

Some runners have better biomechanics and don't get the injuries like others. I also noticed my pals who got "marathon mania" at the height of therunning boom are mosly lame now. I ran very few marathons and seem to be better off for it.

My better half has just started working for Wolves Council and she's told me about this Healthy Rewards app. You get a free fitness tracker and basically get high street vouchers as a reward for keeping active and eating healthily.

Free for all Wolvo residents until 31st March. Downloaded it a couple of days ago and already got £10 for filling in a food survey over 2 days!

My better half has just started working for Wolves Council and she's told me about this Healthy Rewards app. You get a free fitness tracker and basically get high street vouchers as a reward for keeping active and eating healthily.

Free for all Wolvo residents until 31st March. Downloaded it a couple of days ago and already got £10 for filling in a food survey over 2 days!

I'm up to just under £30, not sure you have to be particularly active though as it just asks you to take a photo of the healthy food you switch to. Fitness tracker is very basic too.

Resurrect this thread as I know there are a few runners etc. on here.

Into my second week of C25k and third run last night, probably 8/9 years since I did a half marathon and have barely run since apart from a few rugby games here and there.

Last night was the first run I've actually enjoyed and have clocked up just over 10k moving during the first week. Feels good to be back out albeit much heavier than I was moving last time.

Hoping to get some 10k events booked in for later in the year once I've gotten up to 5k and take it from there.

Resurrect this thread as I know there are a few runners etc. on here.

Into my second week of C25k and third run last night, probably 8/9 years since I did a half marathon and have barely run since apart from a few rugby games here and there.

Last night was the first run I've actually enjoyed and have clocked up just over 10k moving during the first week. Feels good to be back out albeit much heavier than I was moving last time.

Hoping to get some 10k events booked in for later in the year once I've gotten up to 5k and take it from there.
Nice work, amazing how good C25k is, I’d never run in my life before starting it just over 3 years ago. Really leads you into running very well.

Managed my first run on Saturday since tripping running down my drive in October and managing to dislocate and fracture my shoulder, managed 3 miles with no real problems but trying again on Sunday was stiff as a board and hobbling around since. Knew it'd be tough but in time will get back to my old levels.

I do a fair bit of running , 15k - five times a week - but it's at my own pace . I don't time myself and I never stop . In addition I never take part in events as I don't have the time and it would mean being somewhere at a time that more than likely would not suit me .

Doing it by myself at a time that suits me works - I wouldn't worry about not being able to commit to events , as long as you can motivate yourself to do by yourself . Going at your own pace means you enjoy it more I find .

At least 10,000 steps per day:

I started doing this at the end of July, as I noticed that I was incredibly unfit, wasn't able to run often enough, had a rubbish morning routine, didn't feel great from a Mental Health POV. I was in Budapest with my wife for our anniversary and we'd done a huge walk around the city, around 26k steps and I hated how knackered it had made me. That was July 28th 2023.

Since July 28th, I've walked a minimum of 10,000 steps every day, averaging more like 14,000. I go on a 3-4 mile walk every day I work from home (3 days during the week) and weekends. So that's 174 days in a row where I've hit this target. Managed a bumper month in December and reached over 500,000. There's a lovely walk near where I live which takes about 45 minutes, in the countryside, some awesome views as well.

I cannot stress how much of a difference this has made. Some old friends of mine from college started up a WhatsApp group as they've been doing this for a while, and they invited me to join a few months ago as they saw I'd started doing it, and reconnecting with them has been another massive positive.

Does anyone else do this, or something similar? If anyone is thinking of a similar routine, I cannot recommend it enough. I feel loads better, nowhere near as tired during the day as I used to, I've lost weight, my mental health is a lot better, I feel like I start each day positively, I spend far less time just looking at my phone in the morning now I'm up and about.

Yes, I try to do very similar. Aim for a minimum of walking 3 miles per day. I also cycle to/from work 3 or 4 times per week (7 miles round trip).
Always did a lot of walking before I could drive/ had a car, & tbh Always loved walking. It's also a great time to listen to some music.
Really interested in your comments re impact on mh, as I also really notice the impact if I miss any walking. It's a great motivator to keep doing it, even in the cold weather!
I also find it great for the eyes, to be looking at stuff (mainly nature) instead of a screen. Have noticed I get less headaches.

Very keen to get into spring so more walking is in daylight, as weekdays currently it has to be outside work time.

I definitely am a huge fan of getting out there in the open and running . If it's walking that works for you , then that's fine too , running isn't for everyone .
We have a young family and my ability to get out and run on a regular basis was restricted a lot in recent years with it being very stop start . Our youngest now is sleeping through the night finally , so I can get up early , before work , and get a good run in .
I did an 8 week stint before Christmas and have this morning completed the 2nd week of another 8 week stint ( Mon to Fri ) .

Yes , I am in agreement with those who say that it is great for mental fitness as well as obviously physical fitness .

Weight loss is just a by product of running , as is being able to fit more comfortably into clothes ! .
However for me it's about exercising the muscles in my arms , legs , heart , lungs and head . My view is that if we look after those muscles correctly by exercising them , they will look after us when we need them too .
I too feel less tired during the day and feel far more mentally alert .

It's great and it's free .

One more thing , I run in the very early morning . There are almost no cars / vans / trucks on the road at that time , so all the air that I am breathing in is really fresh with no petrol or diesel fumes around .

I don't take a day off either if the weather is bad ( rain , wind , frost ) . Dress in an appropriate fashion for the weather and get out there . Showers and washing machines will sort out the rest .

I definitely am a huge fan of getting out there in the open and running . If it's walking that works for you , then that's fine too , running isn't for everyone .
We have a young family and my ability to get out and run on a regular basis was restricted a lot in recent years with it being very stop start . Our youngest now is sleeping through the night finally , so I can get up early , before work , and get a good run in .
I did an 8 week stint before Christmas and have this morning completed the 2nd week of another 8 week stint ( Mon to Fri ) .

Yes , I am in agreement with those who say that it is great for mental fitness as well as obviously physical fitness .

Weight loss is just a by product of running , as is being able to fit more comfortably into clothes ! .
However for me it's about exercising the muscles in my arms , legs , heart , lungs and head . My view is that if we look after those muscles correctly by exercising them , they will look after us when we need them too .
I too feel less tired during the day and feel far more mentally alert .

It's great and it's free .

One more thing , I run in the very early morning . There are almost no cars / vans / trucks on the road at that time , so all the air that I am breathing in is really fresh with no petrol or diesel fumes around .

I don't take a day off either if the weather is bad ( rain , wind , frost ) . Dress in an appropriate fashion for the weather and get out there . Showers and washing machines will sort out the rest .
Pretty much exactly the same, though -3 this morning had me reconsidering my decisions. Actually turned out to be really nice and very easy to run. Starting to run, 3 years ago, has genuinely changed my life - lost so much weight, no BP problems any more, pre-diabetes etc all gone. Plus I just ‘feel’ better.

Nice to read about the positivity throughout the posts. So many little extra pluses to the exercise itself.

Interesting reading about the MH benefits too. I’m one of the odd ones who thinks too much and subsequently have to be very wary of not churning things into oblivion when out on long walks with the dog. It used to happen a lot on long runs too. I understand why that bit of space would be very beneficial to others in allowing some calm time to rationalise and put things in order, but it’s very frustrating when your make-up spins it around and does the damaging opposite.

I think that’s why I enjoy off-road cycling so much - because you have to concentrate at all times, there is no room for churn or for any negativity to find its way in. It’s extremely liberating.

I think half the battle can be finding something that works for you, but fair play to anyone getting out there in whatever form it may be.

Nice to read about the positivity throughout the posts. So many little extra pluses to the exercise itself.

Interesting reading about the MH benefits too. I’m one of the odd ones who thinks too much and subsequently have to be very wary of not churning things into oblivion when out on long walks with the dog. It used to happen a lot on long runs too. I understand why that bit of space would be very beneficial to others in allowing some calm time to rationalise and put things in order, but it’s very frustrating when your make-up spins it around and does the damaging opposite.

I think that’s why I enjoy off-road cycling so much - there are all of the benefits but because you have to concentrate at all times, there is no room for churn or for any negativity to find its way in. It’s extremely liberating.

I think half the battle can be finding something that works for you, but fair play to anyone getting out there in whatever form it may be.
I find audiobooks really help me not to think too much when out running. I can lose myself in them, music doesn’t do that for me.

I find audiobooks really help me not to think too much when out running. I can lose myself in them, music doesn’t do that for me.
Yeah agreed, podcasts and audiobooks over music, keeps your mind occupied.

Another few things as well .

This idea that you have to take part in 5k/10k organised runs once you are up to speed is not something that attracts me . I like to run at my own pace , I don't stop at any point - but do slow down when I feel the need to .
If you take part in an organised event it can be hard to get used to , hard to get your rhythm going . You will also find people passing you out when you thought you were running well and that can be off putting .
I'm in my early 50s , the Olympics is not exactly my goal - if a 5k event works for you , then go for it , but it shouldn't be seen as something you have to do .
I'm doing it for health purposes .

The mental health angle is interesting too . I was reluctant to mention it before in previous posts as I know so little about the problem . I can however vouch for what it has done for my own well being , and would feel that it must surely benefit others with issues that require medical appointments during a year for mental health matters .

I kind of feel more confident as well in my daily work , and not doubting myself as much .

Footwear too - spend the money when you buy running shoes , it's not something you can skimp on . Get good advice when buying .

Footwear too - spend the money when you buy running shoes , it's not something you can skimp on . Get good advice when buying .
100% agree with this, there are plenty of people who run in old or unsuitable shoes then wonder why they get injured.

Another few things as well .

This idea that you have to take part in 5k/10k organised runs once you are up to speed is not something that attracts me . I like to run at my own pace , I don't stop at any point - but do slow down when I feel the need to .
If you take part in an organised event it can be hard to get used to , hard to get your rhythm going . You will also find people passing you out when you thought you were running well and that can be off putting .
Only one word on organised 5k/10ks, Parkrun is very different to a normal 5k "race". It's very inclusive, not focused on who is quickest and a great way to run with people without feeling it's competitive.

I found Parkrun a great way to get used to running with others before I first ran a proper organised event.

P.s. Totally agree on shoes - get yourself fitted, doesn't have to be the most expensive (literally no point in me getting carbon fibre plated shoes - I'm not quick enough to get any value) but getting some advice on trainers is invaluable.

Back