• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Fitness Thread

Which one you doing?

As long as you can dedicate the time to training it'll be fine, if you can't it'll be bloody tough.
This is great advice, and advice I wish I'd had before my one and only marathon!

It's very different to a half, just really focus on not going too fast early doors!

Yeah I've done a half but a full marathon would scare the crap out of me!

I’ve done a few halfs, was looking for a bigger challenge.

I did Manchester in April, it is nice and flat, and being Manchester it's likely to be nice and cool (and maybe wet although it wasn't on the day).

It was a pretty good course support wise, Altrincham was particularly supportive, and running through the City centre.

Ben Parkes's training plans are pretty good, would recommend.

I think it's all about the long runs as you get nearer the race date (but not too near!), if you do 5 or 6,16 plus mile runs you'll be fine on the day, as your legs will be used to those long periods of effort, also don't underestimate how important fuelling is, try different gels and see how your stomach gets on with them, hopefully you'll have no issues. I recommend Maurten, but they are expensive.

I've done 4 marathons over the last 15 months, having never done one before, it seems there are 2 types of reaction to the first marathon,

1. That was awful, I never want to do that again.
2. That was amazing, i want to do that all over again and again.

I did Manchester in April, it is nice and flat, and being Manchester it's likely to be nice and cool (and maybe wet although it wasn't on the day).

It was a pretty good course support wise, Altrincham was particularly supportive, and running through the City centre.

Ben Parkes's training plans are pretty good, would recommend.

I think it's all about the long runs as you get nearer the race date (but not too near!), if you do 5 or 6,16 plus mile runs you'll be fine on the day, as your legs will be used to those long periods of effort, also don't underestimate how important fuelling is, try different gels and see how your stomach gets on with them, hopefully you'll have no issues. I recommend Maurten, but they are expensive.

I've done 4 marathons over the last 15 months, having never done one before, it seems there are 2 types of reaction to the first marathon,

1. That was awful, I never want to do that again.
2. That was amazing, i want to do that all over again.
That’s really helpful - thanks. I’ve built up my long runs to 15 miles recently, though dropped down to 13 after holiday. Generally been using SIS gels, but how do you carry enough for a marathon..?

That’s really helpful - thanks. I’ve built up my long runs to 15 miles recently, though dropped down to 13 after holiday. Generally been using SIS gels, but how do you carry enough for a marathon..?
If you're already at 15 and finding them good, you'll be fine, it's not necessarily recommended, but from a mental point of view, i found cracking that 20 mile mark in a training run really useful, but as i say that's not necessarily recommended.

Just looked at my notes for Manchester marathon, my fueling strategy was:

Fuel

Day before 320g carbs drink mix (Maurten)
Morning of race 160g carbs drink mix
Start line: 1 plain maurten gel
5 miles: plain maurten gel
10m: caffeine maurten gel
15m: plain maurten gel
20m: caffeine maurten gel

I also took a salt tablet at 11 and 18 miles.

Felt great, no sickness or any issues like that, absolutely spot on.

As said that's all Maurten, if you are getting on well with SIS then that's great, stick to what you know, as for carrying them i wore a flip belt, they're about 30 quid, other similar options are available that are cheaper, plus you can get shorts that have enough capacity for gels too, i found the Flip belt pretty good, good idea to practice on your long runs.

Flipbelt link

Another option might be to use what gels they are giving out on the race day, you don't have to carry them (or as many) then, but i don't like that idea as it may mean you miss an aid station or that they run out, then you are buggered!

If you're already at 15 and finding them good, you'll be fine, it's not necessarily recommended, but from a mental point of view, i found cracking that 20 mile mark in a training run really useful, but as i say that's not necessarily recommended.

Just looked at my notes for Manchester marathon, my fueling strategy was:

As said that's all Maurten, if you are getting on well with SIS then that's great, stick to what you know, as for carrying them i wore a flip belt, they're about 30 quid, other similar options are available that are cheaper, plus you can get shorts that have enough capacity for gels too, i found the Flip belt pretty good, good idea to practice on your long runs.

Flipbelt link

Another option might be to use what gels they are giving out on the race day, you don't have to carry them (or as many) then, but i don't like that idea as it may mean you miss an aid station or that they run out, then you are buggered!
I really struggle with aid stations so that will definitely help. I already have a cheapo belt but that looks much better.

I'm hopefully going to try and do this properly - will take a look at buying one of the training, look to get some new shoes and train properly. I've an aim to break 4 hours..

Garmin believes in me at least :)

RO5JEpa.png

I've done a half marathon twice but couldn't imagine ever doing a full one. Kudos to you for even contemplating it!!

I really struggle with aid stations so that will definitely help. I already have a cheapo belt but that looks much better.

I'm hopefully going to try and do this properly - will take a look at buying one of the training, look to get some new shoes and train properly. I've an aim to break 4 hours..
The flip belt is really good imo, far better than the one I used for my marathon, which was a cheap one, which split as I was making my way to the starting pen! Had to fasten it with spare safety pins!

The flip belt I bought afterwards has been brilliant and survived multiple half marathons

@Elephant Pyjamas and/or @Aikiwolf - just got a 15% off wiggle voucher so about to get a flip belt. How did you find the size? I’m somewhere between 32 and 34 in trousers.

Yep, that size chart is what I worked to, obviously you want it to be more on the tight rather than loose side, last thing you want is it jigging around.

Long time lurking on the forum, but this thread is partly responsible for me popping out for a 2.5 mile run this morning so thanks for that.
Two and a half miles straight off suggests you have good natural endurance and willpower.
Don't care if it's a rubbish distance or not - I didn't expect to get to the end of the street!

I used to run a lot. Always ended up with injuries.My dad ran and won many competitions.His knees are shot away now . Most people I know who ran have ended up with severe knee problems.I have never met a gym instructor , who recomends running. I never used to listen to them , but know I run only a few times a week.I find other ways to do my CV training.

I enjoyed running.It gave me a great buzz.My only limited advice , is listen to your body.If some part of you is hurting , rest it.If it continues hurting.See a doc .

Find something , with less impact on your knees to burn calories.

As far as teainers go , everyone has their own preferences.
This is sound advice. Running taxes the body like nothing else. well over your body weight with each footstrike. The good news is that if you build slowly the body adapts to the load. I used to run 10-12 miles a day when I was younger, now i do 5-8 miles a day, and throw in walking breaks. I'm 68 so have to be careful as I love running too much to get injured. I did all the races distances up to the marathon when younger, but just run the odd 5k now. running becomes a lifestyle. You feel great.

This is sound advice. Running taxes the body like nothing else. well over your body weight with each footstrike. The good news is that if you build slowly the body adapts to the load. I used to run 10-12 miles a day when I was younger, now i do 5-8 miles a day, and throw in walking breaks. I'm 68 so have to be careful as I love running too much to get injured. I did all the races distances up to the marathon when younger, but just run the odd 5k now. running becomes a lifestyle. You feel great.

I’m not so sure about that - yes you can build resistance but it’s offset by the damage cause too. You need to be extremely fortunate genetically/biologically to have robust joints and get away with putting yourself through that sort of punishment and get away with it.

I miss running so badly but the joints just won’t tolerate the impact any more. I substitute that with off-road cycling 3 times a week at around 60-70 miles total which helps maintain decent fitness without the impact and have no problems whatsoever. Just to say, the other week a group of us had an after-work adult version of a childrens sports day, which involved getting a bit pissed and doing stupid stuff like the 100 metres and the long jump and messing about on climbing frames. Jesus Christ I was walking like Douglas Bader for a good 10 days afterwards.

Running has its obvious benefits, but the problem is you don’t fully appreciate the damage it does until it’s too late. There is often a period of denial when you are trying different shoes, warm up techniques or umpteen different treatments, but as per a lot of footballers, some get away with it and some don’t.

You are right that everyone is different and can adapt to different loads. My sweet spot was 60 to 70 miles a week. I tried more a few times, but usually developed an injury with my knees, shins, or just soreness and fatigue. I realize now that I could have trained slower and survived the higher mileage. long slow distance works in improving race times. my brother ran 2:33 for the marathon off 80 to a 100 miles a week of very slow running.

Back