• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football News Thread 2015/16 - everything non-Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.
They'd also be unable to compete in Europe under UEFA rules.

When Cardiff were close to qualifying for Europe they were told they would be able to play as one of Englands entrants if they did qualify. Previously they weren't allowed as the were part of the Welsh FA

What would happen to Scottish football if Celtic and Rangers joined the English league? Financially, it would be disastrous I would think.

What would happen to Scottish football if Celtic and Rangers joined the English league? Financially, it would be disastrous I would think.

Celtic and Rangers wouldn't give a toss, Scottish league would end up being similar to the the Irish league in quality.
It'll never happen tho, no one in the English leagues is crying out for them and there's no major organisation trying to force this through.
There's a certain degree of arrogance from the Old Firm that everyone in England is scared of the old firm.

Why do owners do this

You want one of our players, well last week he was £3m........but you have £50m to burn, lets double or triple our initial valuation.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/19/tony-xia-revamp-aston-villa-top-three-world-owner

“My ambition is to bring Villa to the top six in less than five years and I hope it can be [one of] the top three in the world – even the best well known in the world – in less than 10 years,”

:ursofunny:

People laughed a few years back when the then new owner of Leicester City said he wanted the club to become a top six team.

I suppose theoretically ensuring all league fixtures were weekends, and league cup/european matches would sate the midweek appetite.

Totally against the notion of B teams being in the mix though.

Apparently a lot of lower league clubs are initially resistant because they are more reliant on matchday income.

True and we also said advertising your budget was a dumb thing to do. Fortunately, Leicester had a good scouting team.

As to Rangers and Celtic, Swansea and Cardiff is a complete red herring. They have been in the English league system for over a century. Plus the idea of having that bunch of sectarian wankers in our league is fucking revolting. Never.

I suppose theoretically ensuring all league fixtures were weekends, and league cup/european matches would sate the midweek appetite.

Apparently a lot of lower league clubs are initially resistant because they are more reliant on matchday income.

More than likely you will see North and South again within the League system.

If ticket revenue is 90% of your income (which it is for league 1 outfits) then losing 20 per cent of your matches is a huge hole in the budget. That has to be corrected or this is a non-starter. To hear the league bloke yesterday going on about other measures to make sure nobody lost out without a single ounce of flesh on the bones frankly worried me.

Everything suggests this is being pushed from above and the clubs should tell them to get fucked.

More than likely you will see North and South again within the League system.

Not a chance. The way the division split is being proposed you couldn't carve it out between north and south unless you made divisions 2 and 3 equal footing. There is no indication of that even being considered.

People laughed a few years back when the then new owner of Leicester City said he wanted the club to become a top six team.

Once they calmed down and got the "we will spend BILLIONS" and gave up on trying to get names they knew to the club out of their system and settled on the sensible approach (with a larger than normal budget of course) and appointed a manager who could get them out of the Championship no one was laughing. Mainly because loads of clubs say they will be a Top 6 side, even Jezster was saying it last time we got promoted, the crazy fool.

People did laugh when they appointed Claudio though. No one predicted the season he would have coupled with the mass implosion of the big teams.

Once they calmed down and got the "we will spend BILLIONS" and gave up on trying to get names they knew to the club out of their system and settled on the sensible approach (with a larger than normal budget of course) and appointed a manager who could get them out of the Championship no one was laughing. Mainly because loads of clubs say they will be a Top 6 side, even Jezster was saying it last time we got promoted, the crazy fool.

People did laugh when they appointed Claudio though. No one predicted the season he would have coupled with the mass implosion of the big teams.

Most Leicester fans I know were far from happy when Ranieri was appointed as manager. Though they seem quite happy now...!

Following on from what I said yesterday about Villa's takeover (on a Wolves thread, so sticking it here):

It might all be perfectly innocent but apparently this guy is involved somewhere along the line:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...financier-behind-ill-fated-everton-fc-3356079

Prominent in a collapsed takeover of Everton where the funds never turned up and subsequently brokered the sale of Reading to Zingarevich which went south (again, lots of promises of money, no actual real life cash) and ended with them in a lot of financial shit. He also apparently took a cut when the club was sold to the Thais who are also nowhere near as rich as was originally made out.

There's this:

Mr Xia is the head of Recon Group, a holding company based in the eastern Chinese city of Hangzhou and in Beijing with a mix of investments.

Recon declined to answer questions or make Mr Xia available for an interview, and he does not appear to have published an annual report or audited financial statements.

And this:

He was claiming to have been the youngest ever professor at Harvard and it turned out he was actually just an assistant

ea4bw9.jpg

And this:

Another image is labelled as Chinese Premier Li Keqiang touring a subsidiary, and a third is said to show another top Chinese Communist, Zhang Dejiang, visiting the company and praising its "digital cities" efforts.

Xia is not identified in any of the pictures, despite being the company chairman, chief executive and owner.

Searches by AFP did not find Chinese news reports of any of the three visits.

Hmmm.

And there's more:

The Chinese business group which has agreed to buy Aston Villa football club admitted on Friday that it controlled only one listed company, not the five previously claimed in a press release.

The admission raises questions about the due diligence on Tony Xia, the businessman behind the deal. He is chairman of the Recon Group, a Beijing and Hangzhou based private holding company which controls 75 per cent of Lotus Health Group, a large producer of the food additive MSG.

On the website of the Aston Villa football club, a biography of Mr Xia — posted on May 18 when the sale was announced — reads: “Recon Group is a privately owned holding company that owns the controlling interest in five publicly listed companies on the Hong Kong and Chinese stock exchanges.”
The Recon Group website appears to show the group has several listed subsidiaries, however stock exchange filings show that Recon Group only has a significant stake in Lotus Health.

A Hangzhou-based spokesman for Recon reached by telephone on Friday, who identified himself only as Mr Jin, admitted the company “currently only has controlling share in Lotus Health”.

Meanwhile, he said: “The acquisition deals for the remaining four companies are still being finalised and should come out soon.” He declined to name the companies.

The Recon Group said the mistaken information contained in the press release had been the result of a “miscommunication” with Aston Villa, and they would ask the football club to change the wording of the statement.

The information raises questions not just about the truthfulness of the claims surrounding Mr Xia’s business dealings, but about the financial health of Mr Xia’s business group, which agreed this week to pay an undisclosed sum for Villa.

Last month, Lotus — Recon’s only verifiable asset — announced it had made a net loss in 2015 of Rmb508.5m ($77.6m) on revenues of Rmb1.7bn, compared with a net profit of Rmb23.9m the previous year.

Lotus produces 150,000 tonnes of MSG, exporting to more than 70 countries every year, according to Shanghai stock exchange filings, as well as other food additives.

Recon Group’s other revenues were unclear as the group does not appear to have ever published an audited financial statement.

In addition Mr Jin denied an assertion by Steve Hollis, Villa’s Chairman, who was quoted on Thursday saying that Mr Xia had helped to build the Bird’s Nest Olympic stadium in Beijing.

“Again, you need to ask him but he is responsible for the Bird’s Nest in Beijing and some of the other major iconic developments in China” Mr Hollis was quoted in an article in the Birmingham Mail.

“Xia was never involved in the planning or designing of the Bird’s Nest stadium. Xia’s expertise is in urban design” said Mr Jin.

A spokesman for Aston Villa confirmed that Mr Hollis was accurately quoted, but said he was not sure what information Mr Hollis was citing.

Seems very familiar to see a Birmingham team being bought by a dodgy far eastern owner...

hope he makes it and will be fine..David Ginola was a very good player

Not really news but this made me smile from the BBC sports live page:

Jordan Rhodes will fulfill a boyhood dream when he plays in the Premier League for the first time next season and can't wait to buy his own Panini sticker.

The 26-year-old striker, who completed a £9m switch from Blackburn to the Riverside Stadium in January, told the club's website: "It's a childhood dream of mine.

"Before the season even starts, I'm looking forward to getting the Panini sticker book, finding my picture and sticking it in, all of those things that you dream about when you're seven or six years old going to school!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back