• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football News Thread 2015/16 - everything non-Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's a sensible idea as long as the extra teams are promoted from the Conference rather than the appalling suggestion of PL B teams.

To be fair I'm not s massive fan of midweek games anyway just means waking up depressed on Wednesday and having a full day of work ahead to go with it.
But as paddy says sky will abuse the fixtures moving games to Thursday and Tuesday nights from the weekends.

Don't see the issue with it. Just makes the conference a pro league and cuts fixture congestion. Means teams may take cups more seriously.

As mentioned, half the conference are pro anyway

It'll be interesting to see how relegation and promotion would work in 2018/19 season.

Down to the leagues themselves to deal with that apparently. 2 National League teams will join the league early (I think for the 2018 season) in that there will be no relegated teams to replace that season. No comment at all about higher up. If they leave it to the last minute then you would have the Championship 2019/2020 being top 2 promoted, 3 to 6 playoffs and potentially bottom six relegated with 2 to come up. If you don't do it that way then sorting leagues 1 and 2 would get even more complicated. I need to think about it and will post again, but I think there would need to be some staggering over a couple of seasons to make it all work.

If you don't think Sky and the Premier League are pushing this watch five minutes of Jim White reporting the story. He seemed staggered that the Accrington chairman had the temerity to be against the idea.

Will Celtic and Rangers start sniffing around again? The idea if it involves 8 teams joining from the national league is a decent one and I can see the logic.
You can't help but mistrust the whole idea tho.

Looking at a little detail it appears that there would be no relegation from League 2 in 2018-2019 and then the whole thing would kick in for the start of 2019-2020. Hmmm

For it to happen in one go I think you would have to retain some promotion places between the leagues in that season or the whole thing would become a horrid dead duck of a season.

I think it would have to be:

Championship 2018-2019
Top 2 automatically promoted to Premier League
3rd to 6th playoffs to get one further place in the Premier League
Bottom seven all relegated to League One

League One
Top 2 automatically promoted to Championship
3rd to 6th playoffs to get one further place in the Championship
Bottom eight (!) all relegated to League Two

League Two
Top three automatically promoted to League One
4th to 7th in playoffs for one extra place in League One
Bottom 12 (!!) relegated into League 3 and joined by either top 8 of national league, top 2 plus Celtic and Rangers and 4 Premier League B Teams, or top 2 and 6 Premier League B teams.

Without Premier League B teams or the Auld Firm it might have legs I suppose.

There is a stench of Sky pushing this agenda that pervades the whole thing.

I don't have an issue as midweek games are an issue for me and this would probably make me a STH again.
2 big caveats though:
1 PL remains 3 up 3 down
2 no PL B teams are involved

They've had those mass scale demotions/restructures in other countries fairly recently, as far as I remember Italy totally redid their third/fourth tiers not long ago. Being as it wouldn't be a "relegation" in the normal sense of the term then I don't think there'd be too much of a stigma attached so not too much of a concern there.

Obviously I would be totally against Premier League B teams (of no value to anyone but the elite few who'd get to run a second team and stockpile players) or Celtic/Rangers getting involved (fuck off and sort your own league out).

I think if you are going to do it then you have to do it the way I outlined and in one fell swoop. The downside is the bottom teams in each of the divisions will be dead ducks by January and that is unfortunate. I can't see a way of staggering it that would sensibly work as you have three divisions to tidy up. The final day of the season in League 2 mid-table could be an absolute bun-fight!

I still don't believe there will be no mid-week fixtures. Not for a second. Sky will want to move loads of them and they will no doubt allow a dribble of TV money "to compensate for the lost home games" in order to have complete power on when everyone plays. There is no doubt going to be a football league match every night of the week, but with a higher percentage coming from the lower divisions maybe.

I really hope they don't push through Premier League B teams or the big Scottish two as part of this.

I would also love to know what will happen to the National League and below in the pyramid. They are going to have 8 places in their top division to fill.

I don't think there will be any appetite anywhere in England for the Old Firm to join. English football has no need for them.
I also expect a winter break may come in, two weeks at the start of January.
The league cup, football league trophy and fa cup qualification are all going to need a re-think.

Why do owners do this
Aston Villa's new owner Dr Tony Xia talks to BBC Sport about his £100m takeover, the potential transfer kitty of £50m for the new manager and his plan to see the newly-relegated club competing back at the top of the Premier League soon.

You want one of our players, well last week he was £3m........but you have £50m to burn, lets double or triple our initial valuation.

There's going to be a game every night in midweek anyway Paddy. At least this way it's only one game moved out of the weekend fixtures and not a full round of games on a Tuesday night like it is currently.

I agree tho that's annoying when the weekend game gets moved to a Friday or Thursday night especially if your like myself and work away from home a lot during the week.

There's going to be a game every night in midweek anyway Paddy. At least this way it's only one game moved out of the weekend fixtures and not a full round of games on a Tuesday night like it is currently.

Of course. So why fucking claim the main thrust of this is the removal of midweek fixtures? That is just a lie.

Of course. So why fucking claim the main thrust of this is the removal of midweek fixtures? That is just a lie.

I thought it was to reduce the amount of midweek games and not remove them completely?

The were trumpeting it as NO MIDWEEK fixtures. Of course, when the list comes out that will be true. As Lycan says it will be a few matches each week instead of full rounds, but I feel it is disingenuous at least to try and hang it on no midweek fixtures.

Am I the only one for the Old Firm idea? We already have Cardiff, Swansea etc...

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Am I the only one for the Old Firm idea? We already have Cardiff, Swansea etc...

In theory it's a nice idea but in practice it would create all sorts of issues surrounding the remaining SPFL clubs (which could realistically be expected to all fold without Celtic and Rangers) and the undeserved expectation from Glaswegians that their big clubs should be higher in the pecking order than they already are.

I'd like for clubs based in all the home countries to operate in one pyramid, but integrating that structure would involve relegating clubs that wouldn't be relegated under any other circumstance.

Tl;dr, everyone would get pissed off about something.

Cardiff, Swansea, Newport and Wrexham were intergrated from the very start. It's not like they were thrown in 40 years ago. Scottish football and Rangers and Celtic need to solve there own problems instead of getting English football to do it for them.
You parachute Celtic or Rangers into the English pyramid you'll get many pissed off clubs around them and expect many long running legal disputes.
They'd also be unable to compete in Europe under UEFA rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back