• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football News Thread 2017/18 - everything not Wolves

No he qualifies via his grandmother but doesn't hold a passport.

Thoughts on this, if Southgate could only pick his England team from the Championship

skysports-graphic-championship_4255177.jpg

Not sure on Johnstone as the best keeper either. Not sure who I'd pick there, but he doesn't instil me with confidence at the moment. Has potential though.

Barnes has looked really good of late, would give England something different deserves a place on form.

I can't stand Ashley Barnes. Horrible player.

Wouldn't be against Glenn Murray getting a call up, and would like to see Nick Pope get the nod.

I can't stand Ashley Barnes. Horrible player.

He is, effective though.

Murray is of the Ricky Lambert and Grant Holt genre, manages to get quite a few goals in the Prem after years in the lower leagues, but in reality they didn't really have much ability.

How is Pep Guardiola wearing a yellow ribbon to support Catalonia more political than the Poppy that gets worn for Remembrance Day?

The poppy isn't a political symbol. It is worn in remembrance and respect of everyone who has given their lives in conflict regardless of which side they fought on

I'm not sure how many Irish would agree with that.

I'm not sure how many Irish would agree with that.

Do you know how many Irish from both sides of the border served in the British armed forces in both World Wars?

The people involved in the 1916 Easter Rising in Dublin were despised in the aftermath because of the numbers of their fellow Irishmen that were serving in France.

My father, Irish catholic from Dublin, took his brothers birth certificate, jumped onto a train up to Belfast to enlist in the RAF in 1943 and served in North Africa and Burma.
So, in answer to your question, a large number of Irish would agree with what the Poppy represents

I'm no expert, I just know that it seems to come up every year about that time.

That's James McClean. James McClean is a fucking idiot (an idiot who is entitled to his stance, but an idiot all the same).

Do not take cues from people like that. He doesn't represent anyone.

Fair enough, really just wanted to make the point that Pep getting a fine for his ribbon is ridiculous, IMV.

Pep taking money from Qatar is even more ridiculous.

How is Pep Guardiola wearing a yellow ribbon to support Catalonia more political than the Poppy that gets worn for Remembrance Day?

The yellow ribbon is explicitly political - it’s about a political movement for secession - whereas the poppy is only implicitly so.

An analogy here might be something like the AIDs ribbons in the late 80s. On the surface just about “awarenes”, but of course also implicitly a political response to systemic discrimination against and dismissal of the LGBT community up to the highest levels of government. Lots of people don’t see, or don’t agree, with the implicit politics behind AIDs ribbons or poppies or whatever, and the disagreements over their interpretation in turn lead to more debate and tension.

Champions League Quarters

Juventus v Real Madrid
Barca v Roma
Sevilla v Bayern
Liverpool v Man City

Jeremy Corbyn's Arsenal off to Vladmir Putin's CSKA. The people at UEFA have a sense of humour it seems.

Back