• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Goggle Box Thread

MAFS UK - the guy with the tattoos on his face and keeps banging on about the Universe - surely he has to be a plant from the production company???
No-one could be that fucking pretentious.
Hes genuinely hilarious, cant be a real person surely

Boiling Point. It'll make you laugh, it'll make you cry, it's intense, just superb TV.

The reckoning the Jimmy Savile drama with Jimmy played by Steve Coogan is pretty good, he’s got the creepiness down to a tee, some Alan Partridge mannerisms and the accent slips into Paul Calf sometimes but I’m enjoying it.
BBC 1 9pm tonight and tomorrow and next week, or download the lot off iplayer.
Very good indeed. A bit disappointing that Scarborough was actually either Llandudno, Prestatyn or Rhos. However I do believe Scarborough wouldn't allow filming (pretty much like Bradford wouldn't allow location filming for The Long Shadow).

Watch all 4 episodes of the Reckoning.

Such a tricky subject to cover and could have been done so badly but I think they got every aspect of the story spot on. The use of the 4 people who JS targeted helped loads and leads into how they managed to portray JS in a way that does not celebrate him or try to build anything other than he was an evil cunt. Also perfect on how they covered the moments with the children and indeed the dead. Cutting off at a point where you know what is happening but thankful you don't need to see it.

A lot of stand out performances but Coogan is immense. I know a lot will only know him really for Partridge but he has done enough elsewhere to show he is a fine actor but this is probably his best role. Every aspect spot on and is key to the way JS is put forward to us all.

Hard watching the interviews with the 4 people. Whilst we can only imagine what they and others went through, they lived it and that is some immense bravery to sit in front of the camera and speak to the world about it.

Was unsure if making this was the right thing to do and the only thing that persuaded me to watch it was Steve Coogan. Whilst the programme is not nice viewing at times, they did the right thing. Understand why some won't watch it as the subject matter is uncomfortable but this a proper story that had to be told in the correct way and they did it.

Agree with all of that, Kenneth.

I thought it was excellent, albeit very uncomfortable viewing.

I was annoyed though that the Jim'll Fix It theme tune was bouncing around my head all fookin night though!!

Last edited:
I've seen some people saying that the show aimed to make entertainment out of the crimes or promote Savile, keep him relevant, etc but it did the exact opposite. It was compulsive viewing but not entertaining and brought Savile and his heinous crimes to life far more than any documentary would do especially with Coogan's creepily lifelike portrayal and if anything it highlighted how vile he was, a nasty and manipulative bully with little talent who managed to forge a life in showbiz and charity purely to hide his filth behind. He really did have zero redeeming features.

I too had the Jim'll Fix It tune in my head for a day or 2 afterwards!

This probably makes me a sociopath, because as well as all those feelings expressed by Kenny it made me mourn a bit for my childhood. I loved Jim'll Fix It, apart from the spoofy kids that wanted to do something like the world's longest sum or dance with Bonnie Langford. It being fake makes me sad

I fucking hated Jim'll fix it. Quite proud of that now, first thing my Mum said to me when all this came out is how much I disliked that programme.

I've seen some people saying that the show aimed to make entertainment out of the crimes or promote Savile, keep him relevant, etc but it did the exact opposite. It was compulsive viewing but not entertaining and brought Savile and his heinous crimes to life far more than any documentary would do especially with Coogan's creepily lifelike portrayal and if anything it highlighted how vile he was, a nasty and manipulative bully with little talent who managed to forge a life in showbiz and charity purely to hide his filth behind. He really did have zero redeeming features.

I too had the Jim'll Fix It tune in my head for a day or 2 afterwards!
If people were entertained by that programme I'd say there's something seriously wrong with them.

Jerry sadowitz had his record withdrawn on day of release cos it had a section of the intro asking why no one was aware of what a cunt JS was. Virgin bowed to the pressure.

By the late 80s/early 90s when I was old enough to pay attention he was already a bit of a figure of fun and looked miles out of place, scary to think what a powerful figure he was at his peak.

If people were entertained by that programme I'd say there's something seriously wrong with them.
Mainly people who didn't bother to watch it I think

Also showed that Savile ended up like exactly what he was - a sad, lonely old paedophile who was alienated from most of the people he had known

The rumours were all out there (playground stuff a lot of it, but so was the stuff about Crewe if you played football as a kid in the Midlands in the 80s/90s and well...)

I always thought Swap Shop was for nerds too, I was a committed Tiswas man. My mate preferred Swap Shop and he ended up with a PHD in Chemistry and Sciences, life choices!

Back