• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Incoming Transfers Everywhere Thread: Summer 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did my best to transcribe a bit. All "quotes" are Julen.

"We need players of course. In May... we start talking about the financial problems. I came here with an idea... that we were able to save the team. I had the idea that we had a better project... to increase our performance. Unfortunately, this situation was bad news for me, of course. [We had a Plan B] but it's true that in this moment, we cannot act on this plan, too. We need players to balance the squad."

"We have to remember that we were in the bottom. We believed, we worked very hard. We achieved our aim. This was a wake up for all of us. Unfortunately, we have this situation. I am not a financial, of course, I am a coach. But I know that we need to improve this situation."

"I am not a financial advisor. This happens in May, and of course, you told of the issue. My responsibility is on the pitch, and finances are off the pitch."

"Always you will face difficulties. We had a plan, but in this moment we cannot do it, because we don't have new players."

"I repeat. I am only a coach. I ask myself, what can I do? And the answer is, work very hard, and ask this of the players. We have suffered a lot to achieve our aim [avoiding relegation]. We need to understand the level of the Premier League. Of course, as a coach, I would like more options. To incite competition, this is also good for the players."

Editor's note: EVEN BALLAGUE DOESN'T KNOW HOW TO PRONOUNCE THE 'Z' IN JIMENEZ 😡

"I want to highlight the demand of the Premier League, and what we must do to stay in it."

"I would like the players here to stay here. Of course, we need players!" (seemed a bit of snark here)

"[Hobbs and the recruitment team] have worked very very hard on this Plan B, but unfortunately we cannot do it right now. So what can we do? To fight, to work, to give the best of our energy."

"We are going to do our best, despite the situation we have in this moment. But we must understand the level of talent in the league at this level, so if we want to compete, we must maintain at this level."

*shout outs to Julen clearly forgetting the name "Molineux"*

"If you ask me yesterday about Raúl, I say he will stay here. Today he leaves, so, I don't know."

Stopping now. Ballague comes off as way overeager to make this an adversarial thing between Julen and the club. I mean he's literally just said "the players aren't stupid, they see what's going on". Like, jeez, man. Credit to Loppers, he's not biting at all. Lots of PR-speak but he's not throwing his mate a bone here.

Asked about if we will sell more players, specifically Jonny & RAN, and Lop shrugged his shoulders and said "yesterday morning I thought Raul would be staying, now he's gone - so I don't know". Also confirmed we're selling Podence.

This whole interview is odd. I know they're supposed to be mates. But Premier League managers don't do interviews like this. It's weird.

Have to wonder if he was required to get permission to speak to Balague from the club, or whether he just went ahead and did it, not particularly caring who he pisses off. Maybe he's actively trying to get sacked at this point!
There's always someone from the press office sat next to him in press conferences.

Asked about if we will sell more players, specifically Jonny & RAN, and Lop shrugged his shoulders and said "yesterday morning I thought Raul would be staying, now he's gone - so I don't know". Also confirmed we're selling Podence.

This whole interview is odd. I know they're supposed to be mates. But Premier League managers don't do interviews like this. It's weird.
I wouldn't be surprised to hear tomorrow:-

"yesterday morning I thought I would be staying, now I'm gone - so I don't know"

Think the Raul quip is more of a bid-coming-out-the-blue thing.

I’m finding the Plan B thing odd, why are we bidding for players if we can’t get them?

Yeah not reading much into the Raúl bit, aside from maybe an implication that Raúl wouldn’t have been upset staying here.

Yeah. I don’t think he was a player we were actively looking to flog - probably because, like all of us, the club didn’t really expect a bid to come in. Then the Mitrovic/Saudi fiasco happened and Fulham see him as an ideal replacement.

Think the Raul quip is more of a bid-coming-out-the-blue thing.

I’m finding the Plan B thing odd, why are we bidding for players if we can’t get them?
He's been lied to, not once but twice.

Shi is a lying snake we all know this.

Fosun can fuck off.

I will be very surprised if he's manager this time next week.

Has he put himself in the shop window I wonder?

All I can think is Fosun haven’t put the £30m in to offset some of the FFP concerns and we now need to raise that from player sales too.

Who here would really be surprised if he decided enough was enough and walked? I'm guessing nobody would be shocked. If he goes I think we'd be nailed on for relegation, just because of the internal turmoil it would create having to start again with a new manager.

I have had a listen to it all despite the terrible audio quality and I really do think, from what he is saying, that the situation is different again since he and Jeff sat down in May. He may be trying to drive Fosun to do things quicker, but the picture being painted in that interview is quite alarming..... Just to add, I have been pretty relaxed about the whole clearing the decks to allow us to get a different profile of player in, but this doesn't look good to me....

Lots of PR-speak but he's not throwing his mate a bone here.
...That's PRECISELY what Lopetegui appearing in a video allowing him to tacitly slag off his current employers has done.

Who here would really be surprised if he decided enough was enough and walked? I'm guessing nobody would be shocked. If he goes I think we'd be nailed on for relegation, just because of the internal turmoil it would create having to start again with a new manager.
There really wasn't anything that jumped out at me as "boy, this guy sure is unhappy here".

I don't think so, personally. He mentioned briefly that he wants to coach in the Premier League because he thinks it's the highest level of competition in the world. If he leaves us now I don't think it's a sure thing that he'd be able to stay in England.

I’m glad his mate has got his clickbait and angered an entire fan base - again - at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back