• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The January 2024 "Will we actually sign a striker or just Che Adams/Kieffer Moore" Transfer Thread

I'm not getting massive vibes that he really wants to come to wolves anyway
I guess we'll see, most of this is agent talk anyway.

We don't want another Nunes and at the same time we don't want Jorge strapping Shi to a barrel again. I've had enough of Fabio and Guedes types.

We've lost the wages of Fabio and Saša which won't be far off £100k a week. So it shouldn't come down to finance.

I think gomes is one of those players that will split opinions based on whether you watch the game live or on television. The amount of selfless work he does is incredible, the ground he covers is amazing but neither can be truly appreciated from a TV picture that 90% of the time is focused on someone else.
Even fans in the ground like different types of players. A mate of min loves a flick, rabona and Cruyff turn regardless of what it leads to [Wolves version of MGW] whereas I would rather a player win the ball, advance with it and give it to a team mate in a better position [Gomes].

He is and will be worth way more than 35m euros.
I don’t get to anywhere near as many matches as I used to (wish I could but life etc) - so most of my viewing is on the box, and whilst the view is different to in the ground, it’s obvious how much he brings to the team. Our midfield has been crying out for the dynamism that he and Lemina offer for years.

Plus, who doesn’t love a player that celebrates a tackle? I love the lad - he’s top quality.

Perhaps I over-egged the value we’ll eventually sell him for earlier on by saying “£100m”, but €35m would be an insult, given the market, his current performance levels & what he could grow to be.

Anyway no need to sign a striker. We have our own Haaland now

18 years old, two footed striker who can play anywhere across the front line. Sounds like exactly the sort of player we'd target and a bit of an Odegaard style player apparently.

I imagine we've lowballed with our first offer being a young player in his first season in Besiktas' first team.

Screenshot_2024-01-13-14-50-03-045_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg

GON Presser:

"He said that while he is confident of making signings this month, he cannot guarantee it.

"We’re getting closer every day really until something goes wrong, then you get further away," said O'Neil.

"That’s why we let guys go out early this month to make finances available. I’m confident we can bring players in but by no means can we guarantee it."

"We have to be extremely conscious, people know the restraints we’re working with at the moment, but they also know that the club have spent money in previous windows.

"The signings this summer and this January won’t be as exciting as previous windows, but we already have exciting players here. Of course, we want to strengthen but let’s see how it goes."

"We’re getting closer every day really until something goes wrong, then you get further away,"

I'm assuming the 'something that goes wrong' is the selling club laughing at the bid

GON Presser:

"He said that while he is confident of making signings this month, he cannot guarantee it.

"We’re getting closer every day really until something goes wrong, then you get further away," said O'Neil.

"That’s why we let guys go out early this month to make finances available. I’m confident we can bring players in but by no means can we guarantee it."

"We have to be extremely conscious, people know the restraints we’re working with at the moment, but they also know that the club have spent money in previous windows.

"The signings this summer and this January won’t be as exciting as previous windows, but we already have exciting players here. Of course, we want to strengthen but let’s see how it goes."
I hope his boring targets don't take it personally.

Yeah, that's not GO's best work.

Back