• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The January 2024 "Will we actually sign a striker or just Che Adams/Kieffer Moore" Transfer Thread

darlowolf64

Supply Teacher & 2020/21 PTG Intertoto Cup winner
Reaction score
Do we have the funds to actually sign either...

I assume it'll either be like this summer, so only able to spend a fraction of what we sell, or it'll be like last winter with the panic button pressed and with a new manager.

Ideally you don't want to do much business in January. One or two players maybe.

It's going to depend on the league position, if we're mid-table and a way clear of the bottom three then we probably won't bother doing anything unless a deal pops up that's too good to ignore. If we're right in a relegation scrap then we'll need to address whatever issues are causing the most concern come Christmas. Impossible to say right now, especially without having seen any of the summer signings play yet. Like Enso could make a real impact or we could quickly find that right now it's too early for him.

We know there's some spare cash available as we had bids in for Diarra and Dia.

Ideally you don't want to do much business in January. One or two players maybe.

It's going to depend on the league position, if we're mid-table and a way clear of the bottom three then we probably won't bother doing anything unless a deal pops up that's too good to ignore. If we're right in a relegation scrap then we'll need to address whatever issues are causing the most concern come Christmas. Impossible to say right now, especially without having seen any of the summer signings play yet. Like Enso could make a real impact or we could quickly find that right now it's too early for him.

We know there's some spare cash available as we had bids in for Diarra and Dia.
Any idea what those bids were for?
What's the 'budget' that we might be having at our disposal?

I think it’s a bit early to even be concerned about it to be honest. Might start making calls for our needs late November. Until then I’m actually glad there is no speculation and activity.

Funds aren't the problem, we've got enough cash and FFP wiggleroom for a £40-50m striker. If we're 18th we probably will, if we're 6 points clear we won't

Why not enjoy a couple of months where people aren’t revering every Romano tweet like it’s the sermon on the mount? I’m glad the window is shut and don’t even want to think about the next one for a good while.

Because that's boring.

First rumour to fuck you off will be around very soon.

1st one last year was the end of September (spoiler: player never joined us. Shocking i know)

Going back in for Dia feels reasonable given he seemingly really wanted to come. Whether that bitch De Sanctis ever talks to us again is another story.

Going back in for Dia feels reasonable given he seemingly really wanted to come. Whether that bitch De Sanctis ever talks to us again is another story.
Whether the slight was real or imagined it seems like the bridges have been well and truly burnt there.

Funds aren't the problem, we've got enough cash and FFP wiggleroom for a £40-50m striker. If we're 18th we probably will, if we're 6 points clear we won't
Obviously, if we're in the bottom 3 the profile and quality of striker falls dramatically.

We were bottom when we got Lopetegui. We could comfortably spring for a very good forward on the proviso that we pay him a fortune and let him fuck off as soon as he gets eyelids fluttered at him from somebody more desirable. It's almost as risk free a Premier League trial as you could design

We were bottom when we got Lopetegui. We could comfortably spring for a very good forward on the proviso that we pay him a fortune and let him fuck off as soon as he gets eyelids fluttered at him from somebody more desirable. It's almost as risk free a Premier League trial as you could design
Yeah but the lower we are the more we have to pay them, which makes it less likely.

Last edited:
Because that's boring.

First rumour to fuck you off will be around very soon.

1st one last year was the end of September (spoiler: player never joined us. Shocking i know)
Think Elvis in Vegas Diego was first up. Right after it was confirmed Sasa was out for the season and Raul wouldn't be playing any time soon.

Back