• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The January 2024 "Will we actually sign a striker or just Che Adams/Kieffer Moore" Transfer Thread

Levy doing Levy things.

Gomes has got at least another season with us before he goes I'd say. And it'll be for more than 35m.

It’s about timing for me, it kind of feels right for Neto in terms of value and his career. Gomes feels like he can grow and mature in this team for another couple of seasons before he’s ready to move. I think selling just Neto in the summer would be fine, we’ve coped without him ok and would have money to replace him/improve the squad. Selling any other key players as well (Hwang, RAN, Gomes, Lemina, Cunha) would be very dangerous imo.

Another 18 months and I wouldn’t be surprised if Gomes is attracting the interest of far bigger and successful teams than Spurs. He’d be perfect for a Klopp midfield for example. I know all fans have a tendency to overvalue their own players but Gomes has taken to the PL like a duck to water and I’d laugh off anything less than £50m even now and can see him going for a lot more in the future.

I think selling just Neto in the summer would be fine, we’ve coped without him ok..
Bit of recency bias here isn't there? There have been some poor/mediocre performances in his absence too, Burnley, Forest, West Ham for example.

Selling ourselves as a stepping stone club seems a bit like Southampton to me, and look where they are now - eventually it unravels.

We are 3 points off a European place, we should be gunning for that and strengthening, but of course we won't as the ambition is quite different to as it was, just "survival".

Bit of recency bias here isn't there? There have been some poor/mediocre performances in his absence too, Burnley, Forest, West Ham for example.

Selling ourselves as a stepping stone club seems a bit like Southampton to me, and look where they are now - eventually it unravels.

We are 3 points off a European place, we should be gunning for that and strengthening, but of course we won't as the ambition is quite different to as it was, just "survival".
Sadly, with the current owners, that is always going to be the case. They just want a PL club, they don't care if it does well or not, just as long as it stays in the PL.

Another 18 months and I wouldn’t be surprised if Gomes is attracting the interest of far bigger and successful teams than Spurs. He’d be perfect for a Klopp midfield for example. I know all fans have a tendency to overvalue their own players but Gomes has taken to the PL like a duck to water and I’d laugh off anything less than £50m even now and can see him going for a lot more in the future.
He's had some excellent games, but he's been anonymous in quite a few too.

He's had some excellent games, but he's been anonymous in quite a few too.
Agreed, but when you see how some players take a season to get to grips with the pace and physicality of the PL I think overall he’s been excellent. In low and mid table PL teams few players are consistently good.

Oh I’d 100% keep him if we could I’m just looking at it as the perspective of a selling club which we undoubtedly are for players like that. Selling one ‘star’ every summer for a profit rather than all of them at once is the most sustainable way to stay competitive while doing what the club wants to do.

I’m reminded of how much we thought we could/should get for Jota and Neves.

The Jota price was about right, it was the generous payment terms and signing Hoever that were stupid,.along with Nuno favouring Traore. We did very well to get the money we did for Neves given his contract situation, wouldn't have happened without the Saudi explosion and Mendes

This would be an interesting one if true. On the one hand, I think his value will only rise from here, on the other Fosun double their money in a year

It’s not “interesting” at all. If they offer us €35m we should laugh our cocks off & politely tell them where to go.

He’ll be worth £100m in a year or two if his trajectory continues as it has.

The Jota price was about right, it was the generous payment terms and signing Hoever that were stupid,.along with Nuno favouring Traore. We did very well to get the money we did for Neves given his contract situation, wouldn't have happened without the Saudi explosion and Mendes
What I mean is that there was a time when we were laughing at the idea of fees that ended up being more than we got for either.

Don't count your chickens, etc. etc.

What I mean is that there was a time when we were laughing at the idea of fees that ended up being more than we got for either.

Don't count your chickens, etc. etc.
It's never an exact science, it's wheels within wheels but there should be no possible way we're paying less for Tommy Doyle in 2024 than we paid for Jamie O'Hara in 2011, but here we are.

Picking when to sell a player for prime value is very hard to do. Brutal realism and natural scepticism that his form/output would last suggests we should have actively solicited bids for Adama in the summer of 2020. Thing is that would have been an extremely unpopular thing to do with the wider fanbase, who absolutely did prefer him to Jota at the time (as ever, TWF was broadly speaking an outlier).

Then you have the situation Palace had with Zaha, was it worth never selling him, eventually ending up with £0, but he was the key driver in them not being in any serious relegation trouble for years? It probably was.

It’s not “interesting” at all. If they offer us €35m we should laugh our cocks off & politely tell them where to go.

Not for you to tell me what I find interesting and in doing so have completely missed the part I thought would be

giphy.gif

Will he!? As said he's been excellent in a handful of games, but even in those the majority he's been overshadowed by Lemina.

Also he hasn't got the goal involvements that will really see his value surge?

Back