• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The January 2024 "Will we actually sign a striker or just Che Adams/Kieffer Moore" Transfer Thread

How do wages work with FFP?

For example, presumably if we paid off the remainder of his contract that would that fall under the 23/24 losses, where as if we were to let him run out his contract until 2025 it'd be better for FFP?

I imagine you could probably fiddle that any way you wanted to. You could continue “topping up” his wages for the rest of his contract or give it in a lump sum.

How do wages work with FFP?

For example, presumably if we paid off the remainder of his contract that would that fall under the 22/23 losses, where as if we were to let him run out his contract until 2025 it'd be better for FFP?
Depends on how much you are paying him, but yes in principle, assuming you meant 23/4?

Depends on how much you are paying him, but yes in principle, assuming you meant 23/4?
I did. (y)

I believe he's on around 60k a week, so it's a reasonable sum to lose if we do end up paying him off at the end of January in a lump sum manner.

Celta buying him would be excellent for all involved, except maybe Celta.

Looking at the squad we have a number of players of a fairly young age who could attract large fees. We know that we need to sell one every/every other year to comply with FFP rules so it will be a case of being smart to know when the time is right. For me Gomes can stay for another year unless silly money is offered.

Looking at the squad we have a number of players of a fairly young age who could attract large fees. We know that we need to sell one every/every other year to comply with FFP rules so it will be a case of being smart to know when the time is right. For me Gomes can stay for another year unless silly money is offered.
Don't forget that if we sell Guedes, Podence, Silva and Sasa for £40m+ (which isn't out of the question) then we don't need to sell anybody of high value to the first XI.

Don't forget that if we sell Guedes, Podence, Silva and Sasa for £40m+ (which isn't out of the question) then we don't need to sell anybody of high value to the first XI.
I agree, but in order to be able to attract the young talent here, we need to make sure that we won't stand in their way if a big club comes in for them.

I agree, but in order to be able to attract the young talent here, we need to make sure that we won't stand in their way if a big club comes in for them.
If that is the case and we sell RAN, Gomes and Neto in the summer I don't see who replaces them.

That model only ever leads to relegation if you don't have the youth to replace them which we don't at the moment.

If that is the case and we sell RAN, Gomes and Neto in the summer I don't see who replaces them.

That model only ever leads to relegation if you don't have the youth to replace them which we don't at the moment.
Yeah it's a terrible way to run, you can't indefinitely replace your best players with punts and cheap alternatives. If that's they way the club are going (no idea if it is) then we are not long for this league.

I think that most of us are resigned to Neto leaving this summer should he recapture his early season form.

I'm not advocating selling our all of crown jewels in one go, just that we need to be seen as a pathway to a top club. We've let Jota go, we thankfully made a profit on the Nunes departure and I daresay that will continue. Succession planning is however required for it to be successful strategy. Signing Gomes and Lemina this time last year is a perfect example of that, knowing full well that Neves would be off.

I think that most of us are resigned to Neto leaving this summer should he recapture his early season form.

I'm not advocating selling our all of crown jewels in one go, just that we need to be seen as a pathway to a top club. We've let Jota go, we thankfully made a profit on the Nunes departure and I daresay that will continue. Succession planning is however required for it to be successful strategy. Signing Gomes and Lemina this time last year is a perfect example of that, knowing full well that Neves would be off.
In which case we should be signing Gomes and Neto replacements now.

Back