• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Manager Sacked/Hired Thread 2014/15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Irvine has to carry the can for strange team selections and dull, sterile football (which isn't even keeping goals out at the other end). But then Sheff Wed and PNE fans could have told them what his football was like, same as any kind of research would have revealed the mutantball that Saunders favoured. He also doesn't come across well in the media at all and we know from our own experience what a dispiriting thing that can be.

The setup is indeed a strange one as you say. In Ashworth's time there was a clear link up between him and whoever the manager was. Sure, Ashworth might identify a lot of the targets - but there was never any real doubt that the manager had the final say. But since he left it seems that the DoF has had the majority of the say in signings - by all accounts Clarke was not party to the signings of Anichebe/Sessegnon/Anelka/Lugano last summer and they're punting £10m here on a guy who the manager/head coach openly admits he hasn't actually seen. Odd way to run a club.

There is a fair amount of dross in the league this year (as there was last year) so really if they get someone in who can get them organised and with an identifiable plan then all is not lost. It's crying out for Pulis really and that squad is better than the one he picked up last October at Palace.
Pulis is clearly the manager in waiting for the first Prem team that sacks their manager, however (based on very little discernible evidence from the last 35 years) Albion believe they are a footballing club who's ethos should be based on the beautiful game, so it'll be interesting to see how Pulisball is received if he were to get the gig. I would argue some of the football they player under Megson was as uncultured as you can get but he didn't come with the reputation at the time that Pulis does now.

I didn't think his Palace team were that bad to watch to be honest. Some of the stuff he produced at Stoke was unforgiveably poor on an aesthetic level - especially given the funding he had relative to clubs around them - but while solidity was no doubt a priority at Palace, they did play some reasonable football at times.

And here's a parallel to Wolves again...just replace "Brunt" for "Henry".

Foster took particular exception to the abuse that the Northern Ireland midfielder received. He defended Brunt’s work rate and contribution over the years, and said that the stick that came his way was unjustified and counter-productive.

“It is absolutely ridiculous that somebody who has been an incredible servant to this club for such a long time gets that,” Foster said. “He always gives his all and he’s somebody I would always have in the team. It’s not needed. It is really silly. It doesn’t help at all. It’s pathetic, to be honest.

“He is everything we’re about. He works his socks off. There’s no need to boo somebody. If he very obviously wasn’t putting it in or couldn’t be bothered, then fair enough, but that’s not the case. Nobody likes that [being booed], I don’t care who you are, whether you’re the manager, the goalkeeper or centre-forward.

“If you’re getting ridiculed and abused like that, it affects you and there’s no need for it. These are our supporters and we need our supporters to support us and not do things like that. It’s not nice. You can understand frustration but it’s not like we’re not trying. If that happens, fans are well within their rights to do whatever they like.

“If they can see the club isn’t putting it in and the players aren’t working, they can boo, but that’s not the case.”

It's easy to be the worlds greatest supporters when your team is exceeding expectation.

All teams have supporters who turn in to moaning fuckers when things take a downturn.

Come on then, what has Alan Pardew got on Mike Ashley? Whatever it is it must be good.

Orient certainly over achieved last season, and I did not think they would do so well this season, but to threaten Slade with the sack is just silly.

New owner, new ideas, new broom. Goodwill from last season counts for nothing as he wasn't there to witness it. It's not often that a change of ownership doesn't herald a swift change in management, Wolves were the exception to that, both when Hayward took over and when he sold to Morgan.

Also the football they have played under Slade has largely been pretty poor to watch. And with the funds he has had this summer (in comparison to previous years anyway) his signings have been uninspiring.

Mirko Slomka sacked by HSV. Now looking for their 13th manager in 13 years.

Dale Belford gone from Tamworth after a shocking start to the season.

They can keep their hands off Rob Smith and Hednesford

Hideous injuries. Played some games with 6 of the first choice 11

I think he used to play for the Lambs. Potential candidate then.
Money would be the only factor. Tamworth have built a totally different team from last year and like Hednesford are still part time. When fit he has a strong and stable squad at Keys Park. I have no idea what he would get paid at either club though

Hideous injuries. Played some games with 6 of the first choice 11

I know yeah, I think the big turning point last season was the sale of Durrell.

Gotta say my favourite game at Keys Park was the game against Stafford. 6-5 I think the finish was and flares at the end from the Stafford lot.

Selling him clearly made a difference (although on the bench at Wrexham now). If Jamey Osborne hadn't been injured in April I think they would have won the play offs.

Selling him clearly made a difference (although on the bench at Wrexham now). If Jamey Osborne hadn't been injured in April I think they would have won the play offs.

I agree, Jamey Jamey Jamey Osborne is a class player. It would be good to Hednesford in the Conference as I was too young to remember them finish 3rd before they introduced the play offs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back