• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Manager Sacked/Hired Thread 2014/15

Status
Not open for further replies.
DeutschBaggie " i will not step in the hawthorns till irvine leaves the club."

I love it when fans have meltdowns

I like the voice-of-reason guy who says it would look terrible if they sacked him so early. 'At least give the bloke till the Burnley game.'

They play Burnley in a fortnight.

I think Eddie Irvine is doing a fantastic job at West Brom. He should be given until their away game at Arsenal at least in order to complete his important work. If they do make the mistake of sacking him, Head Coach Downing is waiting in the wings.

Eddie Irvine. A racing certainty to be sacked soon. He just hasn't found the right Formula yet.

DeutschBaggie " i will not step in the hawthorns till irvine leaves the club."

I love it when fans have meltdowns

Funnily enough they've managed to put themselves in a very similar situation to us back in those halcyon times. Appoint foreign coach with no knowledge of the English game. Talks a good game and has some good ideas but results are poor and the players down tools. Sack him. Probably the right thing to do. Then compound that error by appointing British manager, not young, with virtually nothing on his managerial CV, almost all of the limited evidence is at a lower level than where you are playing, and what is on there is pockmarked with failure. Predictably they actually look far worse than they did under Johnny Foreigner with results to match.

Now will Peace do what we did - and sit tight on this latest error, waiting for the inevitable disastrous outcome - or will he do what we should have done and thought "I have REALLY fucked this up, this guy needs to go, he is incredibly out of his depth". Of course it's much tougher to hire a manager who will be likely to keep up a poorish PL squad in that division than someone to keep a poorish Championship squad in that division, but still. They're just wasting time and throwing their season down the sink so long as they keep him. Remember that four of their last five games are against Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal so points on the board are very much a priority, there is no such thing as early season leeway for them.

Incidentally Albion have six home wins in the whole of 2013 and all of 2014 so far. Pretty desperate stuff.

If Albion fans really are withholding their attendance then fair play, I say (though I would say that, wouldn't I). What other means do you have to tell the club that they are taking the piss with an absolute joke appointment? And much like Saunders - I bet not a single Albion fan anywhere even suggested Irvine as a viable candidate when the previous incumbent was sacked. Much like Saunders he comes across as a deluded buffoon who doesn't have a clue what he's doing and has nothing with which to back himself up. Much like Saunders he is presiding over abysmal performances and results that are sending the club hurtling towards relegation. At least Deano didn't spend £10m on a God awful striker.

Who is to blame more for their shite start. Irvine or Burton? Burton seems to be doing all the buying ( Irvine had hardly seen any of the players before they joined). It seems Burton is making all the calls and Irvine is just nodding along.

Who is to blame more for their shite start. Irvine or Burton? Burton seems to be doing all the buying ( Irvine had hardly seen any of the players before they joined). It seems Burton is making all the calls and Irvine is just nodding along.

It appears the fans are blaming Irvine. It is difficult to understand why Irvine had little or no input into new signings, surely as manager he should have had the final say on which players he wanted.

Lescott was an Irvine signing or at least he went to Albion because of him

Lescott was an Irvine signing or at least he went to Albion because of him

or a just a good media soundbite to make look like he was in controlled of stuff.

Brown he had seen a DVD of him after he was told he was joining and the same with Australian lad. I read he had no clue they were in for Samaras. The Costa Rican player he knew about as Everton had been watching him for a few years.

From the outside the system they have in place is a bit odd. One man makes the decisions on who they are signing and the "head coach" has no real say. At least at our club, if its a 1st team signing Jackett does get the final say after watching the player himself. The only time we sign a player without Kenny being involved is for the Development squad (such as Hause, who KJ only met the day he came into sign for the club)

Irvine has to carry the can for strange team selections and dull, sterile football (which isn't even keeping goals out at the other end). But then Sheff Wed and PNE fans could have told them what his football was like, same as any kind of research would have revealed the mutantball that Saunders favoured. He also doesn't come across well in the media at all and we know from our own experience what a dispiriting thing that can be.

The setup is indeed a strange one as you say. In Ashworth's time there was a clear link up between him and whoever the manager was. Sure, Ashworth might identify a lot of the targets - but there was never any real doubt that the manager had the final say. But since he left it seems that the DoF has had the majority of the say in signings - by all accounts Clarke was not party to the signings of Anichebe/Sessegnon/Anelka/Lugano last summer and they're punting £10m here on a guy who the manager/head coach openly admits he hasn't actually seen. Odd way to run a club.

There is a fair amount of dross in the league this year (as there was last year) so really if they get someone in who can get them organised and with an identifiable plan then all is not lost. It's crying out for Pulis really and that squad is better than the one he picked up last October at Palace.

Albion situation like Leeds? (but without added insanity in a leather jacket) - A yes man at the front with someone making all the decisions for him.

They certainly seem to like their taciturn coaches these days. When Clarke and Mel started to grumble then they were quickly punted (not that the results were any good, but still).

I suppose after sacking Jol and Meulensteen (and Wilkins and Curbishley) in the last 12 months they don't want to add to the perception of them being a terminally unstable club by sacking another manager. It's a bollocks argument though, again the parallel is there with Wolves, if a lunatic is destroying your club from the inside then you have to get rid. Fuck perception, this is the real world.

None of this should be any surprise, he is notorious for his insane methods and how quickly and frequently he alienates people (all of which was common knowledge before he arrived in England), he was brought in to do a fire fighting job and failed, he knows nothing about this division and nor do the vast majority of the players he has signed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back