• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Manager Sacked/Hired Thread 2017/18

Phil Neville made a big thing on motd and bbc sport website encouraging everton given unsworth a chance.

Think this suggests his punditry days ought to be numbered, as he's called that one fucking way wrong!

He's done a really good job with the U23s tbf. It's a real hospital pass of a caretaker gig, but he'd never turn it down because he's an Evertonian. Just look at the RB situation, he has the choice between a kid who isn't ready and Cuco Fucking Martina. What kind of choice is that? It's like our left back options last season but they aren't playing Rotherham and Burton, they're in the Europa League and facing PL teams every week.

Obviously not a manager (at this point and at that level anyway) but I don't think he's a total clown. I think Mark went through their squad when Koeman got sacked, it's so hard to put out a team that makes even a tiny bit of sense. Anything you do looks rubbish.

He's done a really good job with the U23s tbf. It's a real hospital pass of a caretaker gig, but he'd never turn it down because he's an Evertonian. Just look at the RB situation, he has the choice between a kid who isn't ready and Cuco Fucking Martina. What kind of choice is that? It's like our left back options last season but they aren't playing Rotherham and Burton, they're in the Europa League and facing PL teams every week.

Obviously not a manager (at this point and at that level anyway) but I don't think he's a total clown. I think Mark went through their squad when Koeman got sacked, it's so hard to put out a team that makes even a tiny bit of sense. Anything you do looks rubbish.

There was someone on Talksport yesterday afternoon, a pundit of sorts I guess but he was a fucking moron, who completely lost his shit when the others were questioning Steve Walsh's role in the whole mess they've got up there. They'd already previously agreed that the squad was in a bad way, ageing defence, imbalanced midfield, lack of quality options up top, been well backed financially but majority of it wasted on the wrong players, etc. yet whoever this berk was just couldn't accept that Walsh should face up to any responsibility for that, he was adamant that a manager of Koeman's standing wouldn't have let that situation arise on his watch, no matter how much others tried to tell him that was the job Walsh had been in bought in to manage and that's where everyone agreed Everton were failing most he just refused to look beyond Koeman to find someone to blame.

Everton have gone back to Big Sam. Reckon he could be about to get double he was asking for 2 weeks ago....

He announced he was out of the running a couple of weeks ago, because they hadn't made him an offer. Moshiri will have to chuck some cash at him now. The whole situation is laughable from Everton, 5 weeks today isn't it since Koeman was sacked?

"I have no ambitions to take another job," Allardyce said in a statement.

"I want to be able to savour life while I am still relatively young, and when I am still relatively healthy enough to do all the things I want to do, like travel, spend more time with my family and grandchildren without the huge pressure that comes with being a football manager.

"This is the right time for me. I simply want to be able to enjoy all the things you cannot really enjoy with the 24/7 demands of managing any football club, let alone one in the Premier League."

Unless you offer me enough money, because I'm a greedy fat cunt.

Everton have gone back to Big Sam. Reckon he could be about to get double he was asking for 2 weeks ago....

Everton have made a right old mess of finding a replacement for Koeman. The way they are going they could end up in a relegation battle. Like him or not but Allardyce will probably steady the ship.

You could probably just about bore your way to safety with them so long as Sigurdsson produces a bit of magic from set pieces and you can actually get the defence working. Not ever picking Ashley Williams again would be a start.

Newcastle (will not get their takeover sorted in time and are in awful form playing awful football), Albion and Swansea would be my three to go as it stands. I think Hodgson has done pretty well at Palace so far all things considered and they're back in the fight.

There was someone on Talksport yesterday afternoon, a pundit of sorts I guess but he was a fucking moron, who completely lost his shit when the others were questioning Steve Walsh's role in the whole mess they've got up there. They'd already previously agreed that the squad was in a bad way, ageing defence, imbalanced midfield, lack of quality options up top, been well backed financially but majority of it wasted on the wrong players, etc. yet whoever this berk was just couldn't accept that Walsh should face up to any responsibility for that, he was adamant that a manager of Koeman's standing wouldn't have let that situation arise on his watch, no matter how much others tried to tell him that was the job Walsh had been in bought in to manage and that's where everyone agreed Everton were failing most he just refused to look beyond Koeman to find someone to blame.

Sounds like Steve Claridge on 5 Live.

The Everton players arent this bad..they have just given up a bit and doesnt do the basic work defensively at all. They can turn it around and maybe need a big sam hairdryer voice to shake them up and fight..Run back at all cost, pick up your player etc..and offensively, runs without the ball, give alternatives and make it harder for the other team to defend..simple, if you care and are motivated..

The Everton players arent this bad..they have just given up a bit and doesnt do the basic work defensively at all. They can turn it around and maybe need a big sam hairdryer voice to shake them up and fight..Run back at all cost, pick up your player etc..and offensively, runs without the ball, give alternatives and make it harder for the other team to defend..simple, if you care and are motivated..

Problem is the balance of the squad Fred. As Mark said a few weeks ago (and this has been rumbling on that long, which in itself is bad):

Right back: Jonjoe Kenny isn't ready, Cuco Martina is one of the worst PL footballers I have ever seen
Left back: Baines is on his last legs, no alternatives
Centre half: Both Jagielka and Williams have had it. Williams more so, he looks like a non-league player this year. Keane looks totally shot, no confidence
Central midfield: Schneiderlin is way out of form and Gueye isn't really very good. Reliant on Davies stepping up but he's still very young and can't do it on his own
Number 10s: Way too many of them. Can't keep them all happy or play them all. All of them have been crap anyway even when given a chance in the proper role. Except Barkley who has been injured all season
Wide: Mirallas always flatters to deceive, Vlasic looks shite, Lennon is way past it
Up front: No-one other than Sandro who is too slow and lightweight and Niasse who is a woeful footballer

Try building a decent team from that lot.

Problem is the balance of the squad Fred. As Mark said a few weeks ago (and this has been rumbling on that long, which in itself is bad):

Right back: Jonjoe Kenny isn't ready, Cuco Martina is one of the worst PL footballers I have ever seen
Left back: Baines is on his last legs, no alternatives
Centre half: Both Jagielka and Williams have had it. Williams more so, he looks like a non-league player this year. Keane looks totally shot, no confidence
Central midfield: Schneiderlin is way out of form and Gueye isn't really very good. Reliant on Davies stepping up but he's still very young and can't do it on his own
Number 10s: Way too many of them. Can't keep them all happy or play them all. All of them have been crap anyway even when given a chance in the proper role. Except Barkley who has been injured all season
Wide: Mirallas always flatters to deceive, Vlasic looks shite, Lennon is way past it
Up front: No-one other than Sandro who is too slow and lightweight and Niasse who is a woeful footballer

Try building a decent team from that lot.
Aye not going to be easy but Williams was one of the best in everton last year..dont think he has lost all in one year..where is Holgate at RB, injured? Maybe Baines should concentrate on just defending..Jags is losing it..i would play rooney upfront..wide areas is a problem of course

Williams just looks terrible. His legs and head have gone, all he does is pick fights and try to grapple people. I'd say he's been the worst player in the entire league this season. He's 33 now, some players just drop off a cliff around then.

From elsewhere:

Crystal Palace sack de Boer and bring in 70 year old Roy Hodgson for his 4th bash at the PL. Hodgson has won zero major honours in English football.

West Ham sack Bilic and bring in 54 year old David Moyes for his 4th bash at the PL. Moyes has won zero major honours in English football.

Everton sack Koeman and probably bring in 63 year old Sam Allardyce for his 6th bash at the PL. Allardyce has won zero major honours in English football.

West Brom sack Tony Pulis and probably bring in 56 year old Alan Pardew for his 4th bash at the PL. Pardew has won zero major honours in English football.

You might be tempted to argue that its not foreigners who are holding back young British coaches, but rather the old guard of mediocre "safe bet" appointments.

Indeed, it's stale, turgid stuff that guarantees binary football that may just grind out enough results to stay safe.

Didnt realise williams is 33, makes more sense then..

Pardew always starts well then fades and in the end horrible..

Williams just looks terrible. His legs and head have gone, all he does is pick fights and try to grapple people. I'd say he's been the worst player in the entire league this season. He's 33 now, some players just drop off a cliff around then.

From elsewhere:
Yeah, they keep getting big gigs...a bit crazy in english football

Back