• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The next six games (League only)

Tbf, I think you'll find that's the aim of every team in every division of every league in every country of the world.

Yeah I know, but they don't normally say it!

I quite like the fact that the players are showing that we are being ambitious.

I think there is a time for being humble and focusing on "the next game" but when you are in a good run and it is clear from looking at the table that we are in the mix then there is nothing wrong with the club saying "we want to try our best to achieve this".

Im not too confident on the brighton game, they always give us trouble, theyll shithouse a draw even though theyre in terrible form.
I think well beat west ham and Bournemouth and draw villa. Barring serious injury I cant see us losing a game

Because of our propensity to let in soft goals, coupled with us not going straight at the throats of the weak, they'll be at least one of the 4 we don't win, maybe more. You can make a case for all of them I'd say.

Brighton - we have dominated 3 times and won 0 since we were promoted
Villa - Local derby, they'll be up for it and desperate for points. They spanked us last time we played them away in a meaningful game, even though, like now, we were by far the superior team

West Ham - Couple of days after a tough away game in Greece. Not arriving home until the early hours. Likely to want to play the same 11 in both games or at least 9 or 10

Bournemouth- Couple of days after the euphoria of progressing in / devastation of being knocked out of Europe, we could be flat .

Obviously none of these situations may arise, but imo there's a decent chance at least one will.

I usually agree with the vast majority of your posts TT, but I disagree with this one:
Because of our propensity to let in soft goals, coupled with us not going straight at the throats of the weak, they'll be at least one of the 4 we don't win, maybe more. You can make a case for all of them I'd say.
we just had a few games on the bounce with clean sheets. Granted we've conceded in the last 2 games, but I bet we're focussed on getting back to clean sheets.

Brighton - we have dominated 3 times and won 0 since we were promoted
cyber nicked yer log in? :icon_wink:
past performance is no indicator etc, and really Brighton look bereft of goals at the mo.
Villa - Local derby, they'll be up for it and desperate for points. They spanked us last time we played them away in a meaningful game, even though, like now, we were by far the superior team
I'll grant the derby status makes this game less predictable.

West Ham - Couple of days after a tough away game in Greece. Not arriving home until the early hours. Likely to want to play the same 11 in both games or at least 9 or 10
equally our recovery always is good. There will be minor rotation - we have options again with a fully fit squad.

Bournemouth- Couple of days after the euphoria of progressing in / devastation of being knocked out of Europe, we could be flat .
Really hope not, as want to be hammering nails into their coffin! Plus the devastation of the fa cup semi final was quickly addressed!

I usually agree with the vast majority of your posts TT, but I disagree with this one:

we just had a few games on the bounce with clean sheets. Granted we've conceded in the last 2 games, but I bet we're focussed on getting back to clean sheets.

cyber nicked yer log in? :icon_wink:
past performance is no indicator etc, and really Brighton look bereft of goals at the mo.

I'll grant the derby status makes this game less predictable.

equally our recovery always is good. There will be minor rotation - we have options again with a fully fit squad.

Really hope not, as want to be hammering nails into their coffin! Plus the devastation of the fa cup semi final was quickly addressed!
No worries LJ. I wasn't saying all or indeed any of those things will happen, just that each has a narrative which makes them less straight forward than just rolling over a side in the bottom six.

On your final point the FA Cup defeat was followed up by one of our worst performances of the season away at Southampton

There is a middle ground between being superstitious ( which I can be) and wearing rose tinted glasses (which many of you are). As soon as we start putting a run together we have this tendency to forget recent results that , for whatever reason , have left us without wins. Brighton Villa and Bournemouth are all clubs that hit that category. No superstition just recent fact. Villa dicked us in the championship , beat our weaker team in the Carabao and its a local derby. Brighton for whatever reasons seem to do well against us . Bournmeouth we needed a red card to help us last up and had a poor record there recently. Its a horrible cramped little ground and they are fighting for their lives. Remember we caught a cold at Watford and couldnt beat 10 men there. So for me I would really be happy with this or better

Brighton- win- time to beat them finally.
Villa- away draw.
Bournemouth- Hope for a win , will take a draw.
West ham - draw.

So minimum of 6 points hopefully more.

That's not true about Bournemouth.

1) We were already 2-0 up when they had a man (rightly) sent off

2) We beat them easily down here last season

3) Dean Court can be as cramped as it likes, the game is at Molineux

That 'scrapping for their lives' stuff never stacks up either, why do people get more worried about crap teams from March onwards? They're down the bottom for a reason.

I think we will do well in all of the next four games, possibly win them all. The home games might be a bit tricky.
Sitting back and hitting teams on the break suits us, the four teams coming up all need wins, draws are not much use to them.
Tactically, this will suit us, we can sit back, soak up the pressure and hit them on the break, and now with Podense and Neto on the bench we've got the firepower and pace to sustain it.
The worry might be if we go behind and start chasing the game, but we managed that well against Spurs.
I'm very optimistic with the set of players we've got now. Some of them will become Wolves legends.

giphy.gif

That 'scrapping for their lives' stuff never stacks up either, why do people get more worried about crap teams from March onwards? They're down the bottom for a reason.

Agree, scrapping for their lives will suit us down to the ground.
We have quality these days, technically good players who know their jobs and each others game and pace to burn.

because we lose to them. Sometimes. Allegedly.

Do we?

Go on then, last relegation threatened team that we lost to in March, April or May.

To save you time, Southampton weren't in that bracket last season and you can't have the dead rubber vs Sunderland on the final day of 2017/18 as they were already down, so not scrapping for anything.

Do we?

Go on then, last relegation threatened team that we lost to in March, April or May.

To save you time, Southampton weren't in that bracket last season and you can't have the dead rubber vs Sunderland on the final day of 2017/18 as they were already down, so not scrapping for anything.

Burnley 30th March 2019. We were 7th they were 4th bottom. We were shite that game.

26th Feb 2019- Huddersfield- I am having that because you have conveniently set the parameters to miss it!

I havent said we will lose. I have said that we havent won against Brighton in yonks (fact) and didnt do well at Villa (fact) and managed to lose at Watford ( fact). So I am a lot more cautious than some of the others.

I don't agree that a point is no good for any of these teams against us and they need a win. Just starting with Saturday I'm fairly confident Potter would snap your hands off for a point now. There's 10 games left, not 3

I'll give you Brighton, but they won't play the same way on Saturday as they did down here last season, it's not in Potter's make up. I've seen their recent games against Watford and Palace and they look very poor indeed. They haven't won a league game this year yet.

Watford, fair enough though I will say it's a bit unfair to say "failed to beat 10 men" when that only applied to the final 20 minutes, also they were in a more than handy run of form (four wins out of five). In fact their form overall under Pearson reads P12 W5 D3 L4 which is top half stuff.

Villa, not having the League Cup game, we have fewer players who played in that game (Neto and Vinagre) who will be involved next month than those who played and now aren't even here (Vallejo, Bennett, Sanderson and Ashley-Seal). As for the game in the Championship:

a) It wasn't really a 4-1 game, very deceptive. 1-1 was fair at half time and everything they struck in the second half went in. We also had a stonewall penalty turned down. Not to say we deserved anything in the end. Villa fans do like to call back on this game a lot though!

b) None of these players who played that game will play: Johnstone, Chester, Terry, Jedinak, Snodgrass, Adomah, Grabban, Hogan, Bjarnason, Ruddy, Batth, N'Diaye, Douglas, Cavaleiro, Bonatini, Costa, Afobe. That's 17 out of 28, rendering the whole thing irrelevant

c) Villa don't even have the same manager as then

d) It's surely more pertinent that watching Villa lately, they concede a remarkable amount of shots on goal (51 in the Spurs and Southampton games) and play a ridiculous high line which suits us perfectly. We also totally outplayed them at Molineux this season.

Brighton were a bogey team for us for ages weren't they?

I'm not down on our chances in this game though. They haven't won a game yet in 2020 and they have dropped off from their decent start under Potter. They are playing a bit like Norwich at the minute - have a decent spell of possession, don't take their chances, concede, repeat.

We are in good form, have the realistic chance of top 4 to play for, and Jota is back in form too. If they can't get themselves up for this run of fixtures given where it could take us, then they never will.

Plus I am going to this one so I'm expecting a good performance.

There is a middle ground between being superstitious ( which I can be) and wearing rose tinted glasses (which many of you are).

Not rose tinted glasses, merely a team challenging for Champions League playing a team hoping not to get relegated. If it was Wolves at the bottom playing say Man Utd in 5th would you say the same or would you be thinking we wont get anything from that game

As soon as we start putting a run together we have this tendency to forget recent results that , for whatever reason , have left us without wins.
we put a run together to grab 7th, we put a run together after a dodgy start, and we have put a run together of unbeaten in 8. Whilst it is most unlikely we will go the rest of the season without defeat, we have a run of games we really should be winning.
Brighton Villa and Bournemouth are all clubs that hit that category. No superstition just recent fact. Villa dicked us in the championship , beat our weaker team in the Carabao and its a local derby.
we absolutely pumped Villa at Molineux the most 1 sided 2-1 win I have seen, villa struggled to beat our u23 team in the caribou cup.
We beat Bournemouth at home and drew away last season.
3 draws against Brighton in 2 seasons back we dominated 2 of the games not. We are playing a weaker Brighton team than last and earlier this season.

Brighton for whatever reasons seem to do well against us . Bournmeouth we needed a red card to help us last up and had a poor record there recently. Its a horrible cramped little ground and they are fighting for their lives. Remember we caught a cold at Watford and couldnt beat 10 men there. So for me I would really be happy with this or better

Brighton- win- time to beat them finally.
Villa- away draw.
Bournemouth- Hope for a win , will take a draw.
West ham - draw.

So minimum of 6 points hopefully more.

We have the bet team I have seen since the 1970 - 1974 period I have utmost confidence that no matter how bad the story a game, Nuno and the team will find solutions, stay Humble, and get the performance.
That's not gold tinted glasses that's the history this team has over the last 2 seasons.

We have the bet team I have seen since the 1970 - 1974 period I have utmost confidence that no matter how bad the story a game, Nuno and the team will find solutions, stay Humble, and get the performance.
That's not gold tinted glasses that's the history this team has over the last 2 seasons.

And thats fine too. I agree I have never seen a better Wolves team in my life. Its phenomenal. Yet this season we have dropped points to Burnley and saints at home, Watford, Brighton away,Palace away,Newcastle home and away, all teams that you would think given our form , we could and should be beating. You could add Everton away, Sheffield United at Home, if you want but thats harsh. You are right. Its a good run of form at the right time and we are playing teams that should be suited to our style. I am still in the cautiously optimistic camp!

Back