• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Photography Thread

99% of mine are of my kids, though I did take a good photo at Glastonbury in the mud that I've had framed. I'll try and find it and post it.

Nothing wrong with taking pictures of the kids. People and children in particular are fast becoming my favourite subject. I even managed to sell a few prints to a friend of a friend so I was chuffed with that.

Here's one of my daughter from last autumn.

Frasdorf-45 by RushWolf, on Flickr

Certainly can't match some of these as am a complete novice.

Murmuration of starlings - had some much larger flocks, but no good pictures as I found capturing these fast moving birds v difficult + the light was going.

m1006_zpsbca6ece4.jpg

64bd797e-6c4a-4c15-89d0-95843a6b31dd_zps087c8e96.jpg

I've been messing about with cameras for a long time. It's cost me a few bob as well, there's always a better lens, camera body or gadget to lust after. Pavlos is right about the rule of thirds - if you look at t3ch's picture of the lizard thingy, it's a good composition with the creature on the bottom left third and the finger on the top right third. Other good tips are to crop the picture so that the subject fills most of it, or have something that leads your eye into the main subect.

Here's a few of mine chosen randomly from the terabytes I have hanging around.

IMG_0114a.jpg

ImpressionsofRiga.jpg

IMG_0166a.jpg

Edit - Thanks Kenny for fixing it

Last edited:
I've (hopefully) fixed your post Doog

fucking hell guys, some amazing pictures right there..im getting into photography too atm, but may I ask which cameras you all have? I have a Pentax K-X(costed me about £800)..average or just above camera, may be getting a new one soon enough..im also interested in the macro stuff put on there.which lens are you using?

Love the photos of the Colosseum and the Trevi.

Both staggeringly beautiful to see for real too.

I am actually quite jealous of these pics because they are pretty damn awesome.

Love the photos of the Colosseum and the Trevi.

Both staggeringly beautiful to see for real too.

Agreed.

The Trevi Fountain has magical powers too. I threw a coin in and made and wished for a change in my love life. One week later my wife came into my life for the first time!

Im off to Shrewsbury on Saturday to take some pics of a steam charter coming through so going to take advantage of Shrewsbury Castle for the view. Kill two birds will one stone as well..

fucking hell guys, some amazing pictures right there..im getting into photography too atm, but may I ask which cameras you all have? I have a Pentax K-X(costed me about £800)..average or just above camera, may be getting a new one soon enough..im also interested in the macro stuff put on there.which lens are you using?

I've currently got a Canon T3i; most of my money went to accessories and lenses. I shot a Pentax K-R for about a year and loved it. The only reason I'm not still on it was just that everything seems to be made for Canon/Nikon, the support/selection for Pentax just isn't as robust. Nothing at all wrong with the K-X, its sensor is quite good. The macro photos I took of the flowers I was using a 55-250mm attached to $5 tube extensions. You can use them to turn any lens into something with macro capabilities. Depth of field is terrible but the focusing point is much closer. The most fun you can have with a camera, especially for such a low price, imo.

I've now also got a dedicated 100mm macro, but I don't have any uploaded examples from it.

I've been messing about with cameras for a long time. It's cost me a few bob as well, there's always a better lens, camera body or gadget to lust after.

You aren't kidding! I've whored it up quite a bit with my gear... :facepalm:

camera_overcompensation.jpg

I bet this would look fantastic in full resolution. Long night exposure?

Can I ask what macro lens for Nikon 3200 would be ok ?

thanks tech thats very valuable info..you are right, i will be getting a Nikon or Canon next time i buy a camera..regarding the macros..are you talking about those "fish-eye" lenses from ebay?

Can I ask what macro lens for Nikon 3200 would be ok ?

What are you wanting the macro for?

thanks tech thats very valuable info..you are right, i will be getting a Nikon or Canon next time i buy a camera..regarding the macros..are you talking about those "fish-eye" lenses from ebay?

It's a shame. I've actually debated going back to Pentax multiple times. Even went so far as to look for adapters to attach canon lenses to pentax bodies (which I learned you unfortunately can't do). You can use Nikon equipment though! I've just got too much invested on the Canon side of things... :( They're all amazing though, doesn't matter what you shoot with. Camera technology kicks ass pretty much across the board.

And no, when I said "macro tubes" I meant macro tubes! ; ) Fish eye lenses are fish eye lenses. Completely different. http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=pentax tubes They also make macro filters which just screw on the end of your lens... those are also cheap, but I've yet to use the ones I've got so I don't have any input. I preferred using the tubes since it's less glass.

I do happen to have one of those fish eye attachments though and good lord is it crap. I did happen to get a funny picture of my GF bent over with it though and her butt looks huge. :icon_lol: Got a few semi-amusing ones of the cats as well, but mostly useless.

I'd like to start shooting insects and seeing some flower shots Id like to give that a go..

For bugs and whatnot you'll want at least a 100mm, maybe even longer. The problem with short macros is that you've gotta be right up on the subject. I don't know how difficult it is to take pictures of insects when you're shoving a giant camera 1/2 inch away from them, but I imagine it's not easy. Even with my 100mm I've got to get in pretty close if I want the insect to be full frame. Then again, getting a ridiculously long lens would just make it equally hard to work with, since the angle/movement of the camera would be so dramatic. The nice thing about a 100mm is that you can also use it as a portrait lens.

tldr = get a 100mm-200mm macro.

And extension tubes might also be worth looking at for you. :) I seriously love those things, and it's such a cheap accessory to play with rather than dropping $600 on a dedicated lens.

Fred, Fish eye lenses used to be good for taking a photo of your bedroom or the inside of any room.

You could get the whole damn lot in but the walls all leaned in and though the far wall was actually 12 feet away, you got everything in alright, but the far wall looked like it was 400 yards away!
Nowadays they're only good for shooting your girlfriend's arse draped over the front of your car.

I've got a MinoltaDynax 7D, A Minolta Dimage Z6, A Lumix, An Old non digital Minolta and a Pentax K100 (non Digi) another Pentax, Yashica and 3 of my Dad's old Kodak's with the lenses that pull out on a little track with leather bellows! A bagful of lenses and nowhere near enough time to use the 1st 3!

I mainly use the brilliant lens on my Samsung Galaxy III. I'll upload some pics later and put some up on here.
I tool a shit load of photos when I worked for the railway 1969-90. Plus I also have a good few Irish stuff, Steam & Diesel + some scenery stuff and general photos.
Anything that catches my eye really....

What are you wanting the macro for?

It's a shame. I've actually debated going back to Pentax multiple times. Even went so far as to look for adapters to attach canon lenses to pentax bodies (which I learned you unfortunately can't do). You can use Nikon equipment though! I've just got too much invested on the Canon side of things... :( They're all amazing though, doesn't matter what you shoot with. Camera technology kicks ass pretty much across the board.

And no, when I said "macro tubes" I meant macro tubes! ; ) Fish eye lenses are fish eye lenses. Completely different. http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=pentax tubes They also make macro filters which just screw on the end of your lens... those are also cheap, but I've yet to use the ones I've got so I don't have any input. I preferred using the tubes since it's less glass.

I do happen to have one of those fish eye attachments though and good lord is it crap. I did happen to get a funny picture of my GF bent over with it though and her butt looks huge. :icon_lol: Got a few semi-amusing ones of the cats as well, but mostly useless.

hahaha, i dont think i wanna buy the fish lenses then eh ;) cool with the macro tubes, and very well priced too..will be getting one or two of those ones! didnt know i can use nikon with an adapter though..i will investigate further, but if im gonna buy a more powerful cam it will be a nikon i think

What are the prices T3ch for lens and tubes. Im seeing all manner on Amazon..

Back