• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Photography Thread

Check the link I gave. The tubes are simply that-- tube attachments. No glass, nothing on the inside, just some hollow pieces of plastic/metal. Super cheap and easy to spot. Looks a bit more on your Amazon, but still quite less expensive than a Macro, which you're probably looking at $500+.

I believe Im getting what you mean. I can attach these tubes to my standard 18-55mm lens ?

I've currently got a Canon T3i; most of my money went to accessories and lenses. I shot a Pentax K-R for about a year and loved it. The only reason I'm not still on it was just that everything seems to be made for Canon/Nikon, the support/selection for Pentax just isn't as robust. Nothing at all wrong with the K-X, its sensor is quite good. The macro photos I took of the flowers I was using a 55-250mm attached to $5 tube extensions. You can use them to turn any lens into something with macro capabilities. Depth of field is terrible but the focusing point is much closer. The most fun you can have with a camera, especially for such a low price, imo.

I've now also got a dedicated 100mm macro, but I don't have any uploaded examples from it.

You aren't kidding! I've whored it up quite a bit with my gear... :facepalm:

I bet this would look fantastic in full resolution. Long night exposure?

Snap on the 100mm macro, the nifty fifty and the Speedlite. I have just upgraded my long zoom to the 70-300 is. I would also agree with you on the Pentax about choice of lenses.

The Trevi fountain shot was about a 10 second exposure plus a bit of messing around on GIMP (despite spending loads on gear I'm too mean to spend any on processing software)

Here's a couple of my favourites. Just to show you can take pictures of the kids or the local scenery and also get something decent that others will want to look at.

Both of these have been messed around with on imaging software to add a bit of oomph. Quirk, I don't know whether your shots are straight out of the camera, but I took the liberty of taking one of yours and did a bit of cropping, boosted the clarity and saturation and sharpened it.

Just off to work up some of the 100mm macros I took over the weekend.

My photos are just from your standard digital camera. I've not touched them, just purely magnificent scenery. It's hard to not take stunning photos if that's what's in front of you.

Here's my Glastonbury one.

222325_6259390015_1584_n.jpg

If you're looking at a macro lens for Pentax look no further than this which you get off ebay occasionally http://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/vivitar-90mm-f2-8-macro.html The quality is superb. You will be infinitely better off with that than with a cheap "macro" zoom which will maybe give you 1:4 magnification which is not a true macro lens. The Tamron in the above link is priced at 345 quid and that's the minimum price you are looking at for a full 1:1 lens.

I owned a Pentax K10 and was very happy with it but moved to Canon for the same reason as t3ch, more specifically the rental market available for Canon/Nikon where if need be I can higher top quality lenses for 40-70 quid a day rather than buying for 1000-3000 pounds. I owned a pro-level EOS 1D MkIIn which is a truly superb camera, but which was too heavy for me when walking for landscape photography so I've now downgraded to an EOS 40D which does me fine.

It's a cliche I know but when it comes to photography it's truer than perhaps most things, but when it comes to quality photographs the order of importance is

user>>>>>>Lens>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>camara body

What a great collection of photo's from you all, enjoyed looking at all of them. I am no photographer, and neither do I have fancy camera's or gadgets , but I have taken quite a collection of buildings during my years of living in Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh isn't the most beautiful place on this earth, but it does have some truly beautiful buildings. As someone said, if you have something beautiful in front of your camera lens, then it is hard not to end up with a beautiful picture.

What a great thread, keep posting your pictures :)

What a great collection of photo's from you all, enjoyed looking at all of them. I am no photographer, and neither do I have fancy camera's or gadgets , but I have taken quite a collection of buildings during my years of living in Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh isn't the most beautiful place on this earth, but it does have some truly beautiful buildings. As someone said, if you have something beautiful in front of your camera lens, then it is hard not to end up with a beautiful picture.

What a great thread, keep posting your pictures :)

Didn't they film Batman in Pittsburgh?

Didn't they film Batman in Pittsburgh?

Yes it was Johnny, and a lot of The Mothman Prophecies was filmed in a place called Kittanning ,which is just down the road from me.

Snap on the 100mm macro, the nifty fifty and the Speedlite. I have just upgraded my long zoom to the 70-300 is. I would also agree with you on the Pentax about choice of lenses.

How do you like the 70-300? I started with the 55-250 IS and the 75-300 III... Kept the 250 for the IS, better quality. Sad to get rid of the extra length though!

It's a cliche I know but when it comes to photography it's truer than perhaps most things, but when it comes to quality photographs the order of importance is

user>>>>>>Lens>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>camara body

:beerchug:

Found a few more... some better than others; several shot with a pocket cam.

chicago1.jpg

chicago2.jpg

airforceone.jpg

IMG_1209_resize.JPG

hawaii_sunset.jpg

Aww I miss my puppies. More a cute picture than one of good photography. :p

IMG_0490.JPG

How do you like the 70-300? I started with the 55-250 IS and the 75-300 III... Kept the 250 for the IS, better quality. Sad to get rid of the extra length though!

I upgraded from the 55-200 non-is, so I gained in both aspects, but it was mainly the is I was after. The extra stop or so when shooting handheld is a real advantage. It's not a lens I use very often, but it's decent enough for the price range.

That first one is exceptional!

Yeah that was AFO. The president was in Hawaii for Christmas the same time I was and I had access to the military bases. Had to climb up on a cement block in a neighboring parking lot with the telescopic to get that shot since there's a blocked 10 ft fence all around the runway. More importantly, he stayed in my favorite area of the island which means all of the public was blocked out, not to mention it also rained the entire time. Thanks Obama.

The one that I would love framed and in my games room is the one posted by Doctor Doog . The rainy phone box photo.. I have tried to keep the games room to all things ' British ' and that photo would be fantastic in there :)

Back