• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Second Club Thread

Leith is really nice now! It's been properly gentrified since the Trainspotting days. You used to be in danger of getting stabbed just going down Leith Walk, now you're more likely to get a Vietnamese drip coffee and a Pastel de Nata.
I've not been since 2007 in fairness. Was still a bit moody then which doesn't bother me, but I wouldn't have sent a wide-eyed tourist that way...

I've said for many years that most of the people who say Glasgow is shit have never actually been there. I think of it as a working city compared to Ediburgh as a tourist city but I like both for different reasons. Had a few days in Newcastle the other week and I felt Newcastle had a similar vibe to Glasgow

There genuinely are parts of it that are terrible. You'd never have any reason to go there unless you lived there though so for people just visiting the city it doesn't really matter.

For most people visiting Glasgow the experience will be overwhelmingly positive.

There genuinely are parts of it that are terrible. You'd never have any reason to go there unless you lived there though so for people just visiting the city it doesn't really matter.
Yeah though that can be said of many cities

I guess I'll be seeing a lot of Fife over the next few years and of course Edingurgh is just down the road. Will try and fit a city break in for Glasgow sometime.

Don't go to Arbroath and ask for a full English breakfast and expect a good reception.
When I got back on the train after leaving Arbroath, I smelt like a smoked haddock. Seriously, great people and I had a good time.

Oh yeah, for Alan a trip to the UK would ideally have separate places for football and sight seeing. Tbh I think he's a bit of an anglophile and should move over here.
I’m more often called a “Eurosnob” tbf.

Yeah Edinburgh has got to be one of the most beautiful cities in the world really. It can get very busy if you pick the wrong time (The Fringe basically) but it's well worth a visit.

Glasgow city centre is beautiful in its own way as well and there's a lot more to do there than Edinburgh. A lot of it's bad reputation is deserved but it's mainly the suburbs that are bad, most of the centre and Southside is really nice. My sister lives in Shawlands (not far from Hampden Park) and that's a lovely place to live.
Bad suburbs? Shock horror 😉

I’m more often called a “Eurosnob” tbf.

Bad suburbs? Shock horror 😉

Well it used to be the other way around.

Most of these places are relatively new and built after they knocked down all the tenement buildings in the city centre which really were slums, no other word for them. There's absolutely nothing in these places though, no prospects for the people that live there at all.

How the Tenements became slums in the first place is a very interesting part of Scottish history actually. I might have mixed you up with someone else but I think you've mentioned that you've got Scottish heritage, these Tenements may have sprung up around the same time as your ancestors emigrated to America and potentially for the same reasons.

Well it used to be the other way around.

Most of these places are relatively new and built after they knocked down all the tenement buildings in the city centre which really were slums, no other word for them. There's absolutely nothing in these places though, no prospects for the people that live there at all.

How the Tenements became slums in the first place is a very interesting part of Scottish history actually. I might have mixed you up with someone else but I think you've mentioned that you've got Scottish heritage, these Tenements may have sprung up around the same time as your ancestors emigrated to America and potentially for the same reasons.
You got it right, mom's side has a lot of McKinnon/MacKinnon blood.

I get to pull out the "my ancestors inspired the Red Wedding" line at parties which works a treat (and if it's apocryphal, don't let me know 😂).

Late update that Charlotte lost 2-1 at Nashville over the weekend. Still fuming a bit.

Our refs are on strike and the replacements managed to miss two reds (one for violent conduct, the other DOGSO) and a penalty in our favor. VAR didn't intercede on any of them which was just... crazy to me.

Wearing black/blue tinted glasses, obviously, but man I'm ticked over it.

Our refs are on strike and the replacements
Please make my day and tell me before each game someone asks the crowd if they fancy reffing it or if they go Sunday League football stylee and have a member of each team do the assistant ref roles

Please make my day and tell me before each game someone asks the crowd if they fancy reffing it or if they go Sunday League football stylee and have a member of each team do the assistant ref roles
Problem is, they pick by seeing who can drink the most before kickoff.

I’m not sure I have the words for the referee last night. But somehow, some way, we “won”.

That miss by the number 10, Alan 🙈

In the Scottish Championship Dundee Utd are trying their best to give the league to Raith but we just won't have it! Lose to bottom of the table Arbroath, beat Dundee Utd. They drop points so we decide it would be rude to take advantage!

Utd drew on Saturday so 1 point behind them with a game in hand... Come on Rovers, don't feck this up

That miss by the number 10, Alan 🙈

In the Scottish Championship Dundee Utd are trying their best to give the league to Raith but we just won't have it! Lose to bottom of the table Arbroath, beat Dundee Utd. They drop points so we decide it would be rude to take advantage!

Utd drew on Saturday so 1 point behind them with a game in hand... Come on Rovers, don't feck this up
And after he scored a volleyed backheel flick last season! MLS in a nutshell.

I like Brecht but he’s been an odd duck in Smith’s system.

Hard fought point for Charlotte FC last night, 1-1 at home to the other Queen City, Cincinnati. That's 4 points out of back-to-back games against the Cup holders (Columbus) and Shield holders (Cincy), which I can't be mad at.

Our old habit of letting in late goals cropped up again for their equalizer, but we were hit on the counter and they had a clever bit of play in the move so it's hard to be too upset (Adi probably should have done better, admittedly). Was a brilliant game of football overall, we matched and even got the better of Cincy for long periods, and had quite a few chances to seal the game when it was 1-0 that we really should have taken. Lots of positives to come away with, though.

Also got a brief look at Liel Abada, who looks like he'll need some minutes to adjust to the turf.

Shouts out to penalty winner, taker, and scorer Djibril Diani, who, despite looking like he's made of pretzel sticks, seems to be an absolutely class find from Ligue 2, just like my boy Adi Malanda.

Last edited:
Back