• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2024 Transfer Thread.

I hear what most are saying, hard not to agree, but my thought is that i would rather fortify the side in depth and ability, rather than have the added pressure on the added time, (overseas travel) and player stamina that europe involves.
I would love wolves to win a european trophy, but i think i would rather seriously strengthen the squad, and let Gon do his individual player management and improvement, to build a real force for a serious european challenge the season after.
By the way i missed out earlier but a proper back up keeper is essential.

I hear what most are saying, hard not to agree, but my thought is that i would rather fortify the side in depth and ability, rather than have the added pressure on the added time, (overseas travel) and player stamina that europe involves.
I would love wolves to win a european trophy, but i think i would rather seriously strengthen the squad, and let Gon do his individual player management and improvement, to build a real force for a serious european challenge the season after.
By the way i missed out earlier but a proper back up keeper is essential.
Strengthen the squad to do what - qualify for Europe?🤣

I'd like us to qualify for europe, but i also think we wouldn't strengthen the team enough to a) make a decent fist of it b) not completely screw up our domestic season.

I'd like us to qualify for europe, but i also think we wouldn't strengthen the team enough to a) make a decent fist of it b) not completely screw up our domestic season.
I'd be very happy with a lower mid table finish and a chance of the latter stages of the EC.

Strengthen the squad to do what - qualify for Europe?🤣
Well yes, if they qualify for europe next season with a stronger more intigrated squad, they should logically be perfectly prepared for the competition itself the season after.😘

I'd be very happy with a lower mid table finish and a chance of the latter stages of the EC.
As would I, but call be pessimistic, I'm not convinced we're be good enough to not get embroiled in a relegation fight if things go sideways during the season.

Yeah, we're never going to be that secure by default, we just aren't that level of club. Same as Leicester weren't 18 months ago.

Good job we got points on the board early in 2020/21 (we were 6th on 17 points after 10 games after beating Arsenal away in late November) as one injury derailed us completely and our form thereafter (28 points from 28 games) was at best "hovering above the drop zone" territory.

Well yes, if they qualify for europe next season with a stronger more intigrated squad, they should logically be perfectly prepared for the competition itself the season after.😘
Carpe diem! Who knows what would happen, it could go well and we build a squad to get us to 7th then GO and half the squad get poached and we slide back down the big snake to square one. I’d love European football next year but sadly the lack of business in January makes it almost impossible.

I see the two sides. If wolves somehow qualify for Europe next season, then 3 attacking players 1 defensive player needs to be added. With the added games and Neto and Hwang's ability to pull hamstrings almost certainly means those two will miss 1/2 the games.

If wolves finish 10-13 then good on them for flirting with Europe and only falling because of injuries. If that is the case only 2 attacking players and 1 defensive player needs.

What will happen I'm afraid is: those 2-3 attacking players will consist of 1-2 18yr olds who will spend all season on the U21 team and 1 defender who we won't see play until January. Either way if healthy a top 7 team if not 10-15th in points. Rinse and repeat.

If we can get 3m from a Championship club then take it. He may have changed, but previously he wasn't cut out to be squad player, not worth the risk

He never looked quick for us, not in the slightest.

I'd pick him over Doherty in a straight choice, in the same way I'd drink a pint of Ruddles instead of a pint of what's scooped out of the Thames.

• Haha
Reactions: jlo
There was a point when he chased back pretty quickly in the game on Monday. Was a little surprising.

Don’t think he generates enough profit to make any meaningful difference to our bank account so we’re better off keeping him as a squad option. Even with his flaws I’d rather we had him on the bench than a 16 year old.

Don’t think he generates enough profit to make any meaningful difference to our bank account so we’re better off keeping him as a squad option. Even with his flaws I’d rather we had him on the bench than a 16 year old.
Agree. If its not him we’ve got to make a loss on him and sign someone else, who will cost money and might not be any better.

All this goes out the window if he’s still terrible, but always thought that was more attitude/effort/comcentration more than anything which hopefully has improved.

Last edited:
Agree. If its not him we’ve got to make a loss on him and sign someone else, who will cost money and might not be any better.

All this goes out the window if he’s still terrible, but always thought that was more attitude/effort/comcentration more than anything which hopefully has improved.

Clearly was never going to play for Lage again either after that moron said what he said after Palace at home.

Back