• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Tennis Thread

First woman to reach at least the fourth round of her first two slams since Capriati. And she has gone miles beyond that now.

On Monday she will officially be British number one and ranked a minimum of number 51 in the world. Extraordinary.

As an aside Jo Durie was a member of the same golf club as me when I was a teenager. I can confirm she is a lovely lady.

It’s a proper mad run, from qualifier to finalist. Might have to watch an actual game of tennis on Saturday.

WOW! Still not dropped a set either. This kid could be the real deal and if she keeps going, the youngest winner of SPOTY?

Raducanu has played three matches more than Fernandes and spent over an hour less time on court.

Guaranteed world ranking of 32. Will be 24 if she wins. And that ranking can only go one way in the next 10 months as she has no ranking points to defend until Wimbledon next year. She also will be eligible to play in all the WTA tournaments and hoover up loads of ranking points. Top ten player in no time, mark my words.

I don’t know anything about her opponent in the final. How good is she?

Decent. Beaten some very good players.
Played Raducanu at Wimbledon girls 2018. Raducanu won in straight sets.

I don’t know anything about her opponent in the final. How good is she?

As Paddy mentions they have come across each other in the junior ranks. The difference now is that her opponent has been on the women's scene for a couple of years whereas Raducanu carried on with her studies. The past couple of weeks has proven that a lack of experience in the professional ranks doesn't seem to be any sort of hindrance to Raducanu.

There are also 2 Brits in the Final of the Mens Doubles.
Joe Salisbury and American partner Rajeev Ram will take on Jamie Murray and Brazilian Bruno Soares

Got to admit I'm not a tennis fan but its hard not to get swept along with her rise.. seems such a genuine girl on camera too, she can scarcely believe where she's got to in such a short space of time.

Her school seems to be churning our sporting talent recently. A world champion sprinter and now a US open tennis finalist.

Her school seems to be churning our sporting talent recently. A world champion sprinter and now a US open tennis finalist.
Both also very successful academically too… I do think in many individual sports there is a high correlation between sporting success and intelligence. Also success academically and sporting success both show the same level of commitment to hard work.

Tried to stay up for it but only saw the Fernandes match, which I thought she looked quite good in. Very mature and composed for one, I hope Raducanu essentially can do the same. Fernandes also initially had a slow start, which was a similar pattern for Raducanu in the QF and last 16. Think it's 60/40 for Emma but will be a tight game.

Not that it is what matters to her I’m sure, but she’s about to earn a minimum of $1.25m: double that if she wins. At 18. Just the start for her though you’d imagine. She has the look of someone who will be around and successful for quite a while.

Laura Robson has total career prize money of £1.6m. Raducanu is in with a chance of surpassing that in two tournaments.

Money will come but I’m pretty sure most really successful sports stars are motivated far more by winning.

Back