• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Video Games Thread II - The Resurrection

30 years today since Doom was released

(Don't bother trying to play it now, of course)
The remake is good, well worth playing.

John Romero (the creator) is on some good podcasts and talks about his love of D&D and how it spawned Doom.

There's a TV show called High Score which one of the episodes has a Doom segment and how it was era defining and somehow made it to the games market despite some absolute shithousery from the gaming powerhouses at the time wanting to stop it.

I've decided to go back and finally try to complete Alien Isolation. Without a doubt the best survival horror game that there has ever been and genuinely tense and terrifying.

Yep, can’t do it. Just get paralyzed by the thing.

The assets are just… so good, though. I could walk around the opening section for hours just looking at all that retro-future shit.

Bring back CRTs!

Yeah the fact that you can't really do much to combat the Alien makes it so tense. And every encounter with it you just cross your fingers and pray that you're well enough hidden! On previous playthroughs I've spent bloody ages hiding in lockers trying to wait for the damn thing to piss off! 😂😂

Finally dipping my toes back into the world of consoles again (last one was a PS3 and a Wii for the kids). Just had an XBox Series S delivered. £190 refurb with 12 month warranty seemed like a good deal.

I'll probably get the Ultimate Game Pass, so has anyone got any good recommendations from the list of games available on there at the moment?

Ideally looking to be up and killing something within 90 seconds of starting the game.

I'm also open to cool, quirky, indie gems too, but I think mindless violence is my first priority....

Wow, where to begin?! What sort of genres are you after?

Mindless violence:

Doom
Doom Eternal
Gears of War series (they're all on there)
Wolfenstein series
The Halo series
Dead Space remake
Titanfall 2

Awesome quirky indie titles:

Cocoon
Jusant
Unpacking
Ravenlok
Pentiment
Tunic

Just downright awesome games:

Pyschonauts 2
Return to Monkey Island
Hi-Fi Rush
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge
Assassins Creed Origins
Assassins Creed Odyssey
Assassins Creed Valhalla

Tremendous online multiplayer games:

Sea of Thieves (my all time favourite)
Overcooked 2
Forza Horizon 5
It Takes Two (a co-op game you can play online or with 2 controllers - perfect to play with kids actually)

There is a ridiculous amount of good stuff on Game Pass, it's stupidly good value.

It Takes Two is the only game my better half has ever asked to play. It is great fun.

For actual killing stuff in a brutal way, get onto Doom Eternal. It's CHAOS.

@Langers some really good pulls in that indie list. Respect.

Finally dipping my toes back into the world of consoles again (last one was a PS3 and a Wii for the kids). Just had an XBox Series S delivered. £190 refurb with 12 month warranty seemed like a good deal.

I'll probably get the Ultimate Game Pass, so has anyone got any good recommendations from the list of games available on there at the moment?

Ideally looking to be up and killing something within 90 seconds of starting the game.

I'm also open to cool, quirky, indie gems too, but I think mindless violence is my first priority....
Where did you buy from? Out of interest.

I may also be in the market.

Overcooked is just stressful :ROFLMAO:

It's fun but as DW says - be prepared to fall out with whoever you're playing with!

For actual killing stuff in a brutal way, get onto Doom Eternal. It's CHAOS.
Nah, it's a marmite game - the platforming bits are janky and you're forced to use specific guns for specific demons, there are some really good bits though, it just wasn't as good as the first remake which is epic!

I've seen the discussion on other platforms - some people love it and some not so much

Disagree with that - it's surprisingly tactical! One of the few games I've had to dial down the difficulty mind you, it's solid in places.

Definitely better than the first game IMO - worth playing both.

Where did you buy from? Out of interest.

I may also be in the market.
Site called TechTrolley.co.uk

Looks like I had the last one, unfortunately.

CEX was the other option but it was £215 for the same deal. £200 if you are happy with a shitty 3rd party wired controller.

Wanted to avoid eBay and, tbh, the cheapest second hand one on there was around £170.

There is a pay monthly option. £21 a month for 24 months for a brand new console and 2 years Ultimate Game Pass (which you can't cancel). That works out at £210 for the console after you subtract the cost of the game pass.

Last edited:
Back